I'm guessing no, but I'll ask anyway

For those who have young kids, at a buffet has anyone tried to take your childs meal back to your resort? Our DGD is now 4, so she will need to pay at buffets. At most dinners she will cost 15 - 18 dollars . At Ohana, I can just see her eating three bite of mac and cheese and doing all the dancing, then 20 min later she’ll be hungry. I’m not talking loading up a box with everything on the table, just what is on her plate. Has anyone tried?

I don’t think they allow that. I understand why you’re asking and know you wouldn’t abuse it but can you imagine how many people would fill a plate just to take it out? That said, we have taken uneaten whole pieces of fruit out of the restaurant. Just last week we had breakfast at Cape May and I told my son he had to eat one piece of fruit of his choice. He grabbed a banana but didn’t eat it so we took it with us and he ate it later.

It stunk paying adult price for half a bowl of cereal, a banana, and a glass of milk. We knew that would be the case but it stinks. I think 10 is a little young to be an adult, I wish there was some middle ground, like junior pricing at buffets.

[QUOTE=DisneyTeacher;983320]I don’t think they allow that. I understand why you’re asking and know you wouldn’t abuse it but can you imagine how many people would fill a plate just to take it out? That said, we have taken uneaten whole pieces of fruit out of the restaurant. Just last week we had breakfast at Cape May and I told my son he had to eat one piece of fruit of his choice. He grabbed a banana but didn’t eat it so we took it with us and he ate it later.

It stunk paying adult price for half a bowl of cereal, a banana, and a glass of milk. We knew that would be the case but it stinks. I think 10 is a little young to be an adult, I wish there was some middle ground, like junior pricing at buffets.[/QUOTE]

BINGO!!! That’s the very reason why we’re mostly doing CS since DD11 is the same way. We’ll pay for a couple of locations and just have to grit our teeth when the bill comes knowing she’ll want eat again whatever’s kid-friendly back in the room. From an adults view, the food is not as good at CS but with proper planning we can find variety to suit all tastes at accomodating age-level prices.

[QUOTE=DisneyTeacher;983320]I don’t think they allow that. I understand why you’re asking and know you wouldn’t abuse it but can you imagine how many people would fill a plate just to take it out? That said, we have taken uneaten whole pieces of fruit out of the restaurant. Just last week we had breakfast at Cape May and I told my son he had to eat one piece of fruit of his choice. He grabbed a banana but didn’t eat it so we took it with us and he ate it later.

It stunk paying adult price for half a bowl of cereal, a banana, and a glass of milk. We knew that would be the case but it stinks. I think 10 is a little young to be an adult, I wish there was some middle ground, like junior pricing at buffets.[/QUOTE]

We do that too-with the fruit! :happy: Buffets are no good for us either. We go up once. That’s why I just LOVE the counter service plan.

You could always ask. At WGP one night (I know it’s not a buffet) my DD5 only wanted fruit cup. The waiter was great and brought it to us, we just paid out of pocket for it. Which saved us using a table service credit for her. MAYBE they can prepare a meal for her you can take away with you? The Chefs are really wonderful at all the Disney dining spots and they try and accomadate everyone.

I think we’ll do fewer buffets because my son just doesn’t eat buffet food. At full service and counter service restaurants he can find something to eat and we don’t have to pay a lot for the little he eats.

We don’t eat a lot at the buffets either. At Cape May I had one plate of food add a little taste of oatmeal and that’s it.

I say fill you pockets.

TIP: Plastic baggies lining your pockets will keep your clothes from getting stained.

My DD is going down a few days before us staying the BC (hotel, not villa) and she may get the dining plan for just those days. That will overlap a bit when we get there. We/they may plan to do a buffet or two and Le cellier during that time. Then just go out of pocket for the time they are at BLT.

Even so, maybe at Ohana we’ll ask to leave her plate and when we are ready to leave, ask if we can take it home. Then they could see we are not clearing the table. All they can do is say no.

I would never stoop to such a thing…wait for it…I’d use the baby’s diaper bag to hold the food. Can carry a whole lot more:laugh::tongue:

Well DH and I just roll out the door at buffets. :laugh: But we don’t waste the food, it we put it on our plate, we eat it. Unless it’s just plain awful. And even then, I take a dab of this and that, and then go back for the stuff I like, so a lot isn’t wasted. Our typical trip would be breakfast (eggs, bacon,) in the villa, buffet for late lunch and that’s it for the day. And not every day, other days we would do breakfast, 2 CS meals that we share and a snack that we share. So one day we might spend 60 on food, the next 30. Works for us. :happy:

I am totally “anti-cheat”… but I always have baggies with me. If it was on the plate and was the result of a single buffet trip (not a result of plate re-loading with the intention to take it for later) I have no problem with taking it for later. It would just be thrown out, and you paid for it.

I understand why they can’t say “yes”… so I wouldn’t ask.

Now see this is why we LOVE free dining.:wub::wub: With 3 kids who all have very different eating habits, we never know if they’re actually going to eat our money’s worth. My DS (6) doesn’t mess around when it comes to food-:ohmy: in fact, my DD (12) orders from the adult menu but because she’s kind of a picker, he normally eats her meal. The baby (DD 3) is hit or miss — with free dining we don’t sweat it- I will say however that we use our TS meals for character meals, when you know you’re really going for the experience not just the food.

[QUOTE=Boss Mouse;983331]I say fill you pockets.

TIP: Plastic baggies lining your pockets will keep your clothes from getting stained.[/QUOTE]

Ohh! That’s they way. My pockets kept leaking and the food was a total loss at Typhoon Lagoon! Does this work for ice cream?

Shhhh…I took some stuff from dd#3’s plate at Crystal Palace when she didn’t finish. Later on she ate the fruit. I love a good diaper bag w/ Ziploc baggies in it. Ok, no one turn me in to the Disney Police ok? Please think of my poor children. :laugh:

I’ve already started packing, and I think after reading this I’m going to go up and throw some ziplock bags in the suitcase!:whistling

Im not too sure about others but once at Ohanas my nephew ordered mac and cheese with fries and he ate 2 bites and then danced and all. He was able to get his boxed up and taken home. I think the reason was because it was a special order plate.

Truthfully I’ve never thought it should be a big deal at any of the establishments. If you asked a waiter to pack up what was left on your plate they could wait until you were leaving to hand it to you.

At buffets, I’m sure they would be concerned that you take 400 ribs and could only eat 50 of them. “Could I please have these packed up to go”? :laugh:

Sometimes at Ohana when I want a FEW more wings or something, I stress on a few. I hate to see them show up with a doz wings for a second helping when I know I will only eat three.

But again, I was only talking about my 4 yrs old DGD’s plate. That’s why I wondering. Just like tinkerbelle24’s situation.

I always pack extra bags, they come in so handy. It’s amazing how much junk we collect during the week and the bags are great for getting it all home. When my son was little I packed him in gallon ziplock bags (T shirt, shorts, and undies for every day) and then had lots of extra bags for wet swim suits, pressed pennies, receipts…

I use zip lock bags when packing before we leave and throw some extras in as well.
Anything liquid goes into zip locks. Shampoo, toothpaste, shaving cream, bar soap, mouthwash. All of it gets bagged to prevent clothes from disaster. Also, all dirty laundry gets shoved into dirty laundry bags and if anything happens to be wet, that goes into plastic as well.
Zip locks are also good for left over food we’re taking home in the cooler.