I'm so confused!

I need help. I booked 7 days at the Grand Floridian in July. I have been doing some reading on GF but it seams to be a little “stuffy”. My first choice was the Contemporary but they don’t have a room I can afford. :angry: They only have the Atrium level available right now. So I looked at the Polynesian and the rooms look dark and old (or is it jus the photos?) I really like staying on the monoral. Any thoughts??:confused:

I’ve never stayed at the GF but we’ve been there to visit several times and didn’t feel like it was stuffy at all. There were kids running around and people coming and going in all types of dress. We didn’t feel out of place or unwelcome at all.

You’ll never know about a resort or restaurant until you try it.

we have stayed at both the GF and the poly. they are both great resorst. we did not find the GF stuffy, and the poly is not dark. i think that the poly just came trhough an upgrade in the last couple of years. you would not go wrong with either resort.

I love the Poly because I am partial to the Hawaiin theme. You really feel like you have stepped onto the islands.

i would vote for the poly…never stayed there but it is my dream…poly with a MK view room…:blush::blush:

To me the Grand Floridian looks like a comfortable, old fashioned beach resort. It is upscale but not stuffy IMO.
I would not want to stay at the Poly for exactly the reasons you gave - it looks dark and 70’s like. Although most people really like staying there, I will not be caught there :laugh:

We did the MK view at the Contemporary and I’m glad I did it once but I paid all the extra money for only me to see the fireworks once! No one else saw them from the room. I won’t pay the extra for the MK view again.

I wish the Contemporary would open up more rooms for the special deal that’s going on. That would solve my problem. Do all the rooms at the Poly have balconies?

To me, the GF seems WAY too fancy. Too much off white and lace in the rooms I guess (from pictures I’ve seen).

Give me the Polynesian any day. That’s where we are staying this May. I am a sucker for a Hawaiian theme anyway.

No, all of the rooms don’t have balconies at the Poly. We stayed at the Poly in September and had a great time- I think you can’t go wrong with either choice.

[QUOTE=Dopey;934319]
I would not want to stay at the Poly for exactly the reasons you gave - it looks dark and 70’s like. Although most people really like staying there, I will not be caught there :laugh:[/QUOTE]

I agree. I feel kind of guilty because so many people love it but I don’t like the dark theme, it’s too 70s looking.

The first time I stayed at the GF was May 2005. I LOVED LOVED LOVED it and loved even more that they upgraded us to the concierge level at check in!! The took care of us the minute we pulled up our car and that did not change the entire time we were there.

The first and last time I stayed at the poly in 2006. I was totally not impressed-especially coming from the GF a few months prior. Yes, I love the whole tropical theme and Ohana and Kona are great- but that is where I thought it all ended. From the time we pulled our car up to get our luggage and have it valeted it all went down hill. The room was old and dark(I have no idea which building we stayed in) and the service was not where I thought it would be. Oh, and the elevators!!! HORRIBLE- they were so old it was scary. I am by far not a needy fu-fu person, but I do like to feel special.

I did not feel out of place at the GF at all (even with a 8 month old in tow) and I would return in a heart beat!!!

I’d stay at the GF in a flash. I don’t think it’s stuffy - I think it’s impossible for any resort at WDW to feel stuffy with a million kids running around all the time. Just ask yourself this - why shouldn’t you stay in a beautiful resort - don’t you deserve it? Go and enjoy the beautiful surroundings.

Thank you all for your input. From what you are saying it sounds like I won’t feel out of place at GF. Is there a particular building I should be eyeing for my stay at GF. Which one is closest to the monoral?

We LOVe Poly - and it is definitely NOT DARK. We’ve only dined and visited the GF, and I have always thought it looked a little stuffy too. But, I’m sure it’s fine…

My family stayed at the GF July 2008!! It was a dream to stay there. With all my past visits I always looked at that hotel and said “I want to stay there one day.” WE DID!!!
STUFFY… No way!!! You can’t judge a hotel from pictures, especially the GF. We stayed in the Main building and could not have asked for better hospitality, service, and friendly employees willing to help with anything you need. People who stay there MAKE the GF comfortable and enjoyable. Families dressed casually. I did not feel out of place. Go to the GF with an open mind and you will have a fantastic Disney time !!!

I have to say, we’ve been to both many times for dining/touring etc. but never stayed at either. My dream is to stay at the Poly, you just can’t beat the theme, but either resort would be beautiful.

Never be afraid to try something new!!:laugh:

[QUOTE=Trade Mark Up;934474]My family stayed at the GF July 2008!! It was a dream to stay there. With all my past visits I always looked at that hotel and said “I want to stay there one day.” WE DID!!!
STUFFY… No way!!! You can’t judge a hotel from pictures, especially the GF. We stayed in the Main building and could not have asked for better hospitality, service, and friendly employees willing to help with anything you need. People who stay there MAKE the GF comfortable and enjoyable. Families dressed casually. I did not feel out of place. Go to the GF with an open mind and you will have a fantastic Disney time !!![/QUOTE]

I always said the same thing. We would always see the GF and I said too bad we could never afford to stay there. With the special they have this summer I have to take advantage. I will go with an open mind. How did you get so lucky to stay in the main building? Is that the one with the monorail? Do they have a food court? Is there any entertainment at night for the family at the GF?

You’ll love GF. While Poly is still my fav. It’s older like contempary but the rooms have been ugraded.

GF isn’t All Star (thank god!) Stuffy? Not really - just a deluxe.

I’d stay at GF more if the DVC points cost wasn’t so high and a "reservation fee’ for the point transfer.

I’ve never stayed at the GF, but love to walk thru it. It doesn’t feel stuffy to me at least, and the grounds are gorgeous. You simply can’t go wrong with the GF, CR or the Polynesian.