Im so upset

as you guys know due to shoulder surgery we rescheduled our trip to October. i just heard from a friend at work they have scheduled a mandatory overnight during our trip[ everyone has to go and stay overnight.] this is a team building trip so we can all “bond” our company has been bought out. i dont want to give up disney for a d!! meeting. i just needed to vent . now i will probably have to reschedule again change all the adrs again. I am soooooooo upset.

Honestly, I would just tell them you will bond with them all the other 360 days a year, and that you will be in Disney bonding with your family during that time. I don’t know what’s going on with businesses now. As I’ve gotten older, I’ve gotten bolder and bolder. God and family first, then there’s time for work. Sorry…I just caught myself going on a rant. Just emotional these days. I’m hoping society gets back to the basics at some point.

I wouldn’t stand for that. They should not make you cancel plans that you have had scheduled longer than this stupid meeting. I would tell them too bad, you’re going on vacation. It’s been scheduled for a while now and it’s not your fault the company chose a date you were going to be gone. I would NEVER even consider changing my vacation with family for my job. Family comes first, always.

That is crazy, can they do that?? A “bonding” day… craziness, pure craziness. I hope it all works out for you.

My dad was needing to miss a day at work and they were giving him a hard time and this is what he told them, ‘What would they do if he was not able to work again? You would find someone else and so me not being here is not going to stop the world’. Take the time for your trip that you had planned. This may make things hard for your work to understand but the others are right. At the end a family cannot replace you but work can.

thanks guys. they are angry as it is because im off from the surgery. my md does not feel i should go back yet. then i will be gone again on vacation.I will tell you how ridiculous this is. I got a email from one of the higher ups. they want us to send them three things no ones knows about us. i just wrote back and told her if no one know it … its because i don’t want them to… I am not sending them anything. they think due to the economy they own us.

Wow, tough decision to make. Having a job nowadays is almost a luxury and with 6-7 people applying for 1 job opening I would certainly be hesitant to not attend the overnight bonding trip. Yes, God and family first I agree, this is a tough one and don’t know what I would do unless I was faced with this decision.

OK - that’s just SHOCKING! I’m sorry for your predicament. I hope everything sorts itself out - but NO WAY would I tell the company I worked for any “secrets”. That’s invasion of privacy! Or I’d make up something really bizarre; like…I’m an expert on 12th century Bynzantine art… or I’m Elton John’s love child…I once played professional lacrosse…

Tell them you spend way to much time bonding with them already and need some bonding time with your family.

(Those company bonding exercises and trips are a crock. They just mask poor company culture…and you can tell them I said that)

Unless you’re a mover and shaker inside the company, I’d blow it off. But if you’re integral to the company ops…that’s going to be a tough call. IMO

This is a rough one and I do understand your disappointment.

Look at it this way…WDW will always be there for you and you need your job to be able to go to WDW so just reschedule. Free Dining has been extended into the winter so maybe that can work out for you?

I hope everything works out.

Lisa

PS: 3 things you don’t know about me

1. I am wearing a blue shirt right now
  2. I am drinking an Arnold Palmer right now
  3. I have to go to the bathroom.

Tell them this:

I am in the witness protection program.
I have never been convicted of murder.
I flipped on an embezzlement charge.

[QUOTE=tigger;1041398]Tell them this:

I flipped on an embezzlement charge.[/QUOTE]

Hahahaa…YES.

Sounds like you work for Michael Scott. I don’t get this touchy-feely employment trend. I don’t have to like you or be your BFF! I just have to do my job well. Now leave me the heck alone.

[QUOTE=llama;1041377]
I’m an expert on 12th century Bynzantine art… or I’m Elton John’s love child…I once played professional lacrosse…[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=tigger;1041398]Tell them this:

I flipped on an embezzlement charge.[/QUOTE]

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Wanting personal secrets is just plain invasive and, frankly, creepy. That seems like a form of harassment to me. All they should care about is the you come in and do a good job. I certainly wouldn’t rat myself out to my bosses.

If you already had the vacation time coming and they were aware of your vacation dates, prior to this meeting, I’d say they shouldn’t be able to force people to change their plans already made.

As much as I hate to defend any part of this, I don’t think they’re asking for real secrets… they’re just looking for things like “I make great tuna sandwiches”. Just innocuous stuff.

I really hope you can get out of this, faerie.

[QUOTE=Andrea;1041418]As much as I hate to defend any part of this, I don’t think they’re asking for real secrets… they’re just looking for things like “I make great tuna sandwiches”. Just innocuous stuff.

I really hope you can get out of this, faerie.[/QUOTE]

Well that is true…I make the best tuna fish sandwich but it isn’t a secret I keep to myself…you just never asked.

thanks all for the support what is more frustrating is the two days we are in this besides being away from our families. we have to make it up we work on billable time so after we got thru this travesty we will have to work overtime to make up the time we are not there. they had taken a poll and asked us if we wanted this the majority said no . they booked it anyway and it is mandatory. my dh told me to rebook the trip for the third time to ;leave the day after the stupid thing. I need my job too much. I am looking and applying to anything i can find.

I am sorry about the mess! I am very happy for you that you are able to rebook the trip. I would be devistated if I could not go at all!

Lisa

thanks all today i got even better news one of my friends from work called to tell me the conference bonding session is now scheduled for october 20.21. we can leave as planned on october 22. so i will come back late on the 21 and leave early 22…

I am glad it worked out for you…I am sure you will have a jim crackin dandy old time bonding and all! I think I might be at the Museum of Science on an overnight with 240 kids at just about the same time. I am not sure which one would be more enjoyable…at least you might get a bed and not have to sleep on the filthy museum floor.

I think you should make up 3 things no one knows about you. Make them really interesting.