Infant counted as #6 and grat. applied

So, here we were eating at The Plaza Restaurant in MK and noticed on our bill that we were charge 18% grat. You see my 11 week old son was counted as #6 because-- He has a pulse and is at the table! These were the exact words from the server… I was sooo taken back by this that we asked to see the manager. He informed me that the servers were union and that’s the way it is… There was nothing he could do. I was always told that you had to count the infant for fire code reasons… This isn’t true at all. Move onto the next day, we ate at a buffet at Hollywood Studios (Hollywood & Vine) and again the same thing; however, my husband chose not to leave the whole 18%. The waitress there was worried about her tip from the minute we sat down. We were on the dinning plan and she wanted to know how we were going to handle the rest (meaning her 18% tip.) So, at the end of our meal (the one where all she did was bring us drinks) was finished–she circled the table twice and asked if there was a problem with finishing… We stated no and left the tip; however, my husband chose not to leave the entire 18%. (Since once again my 11wk. old was there and required nothing.) We left with the 4 kids and made it onto the street when this waitress chased us down and demanded more money! She was rude and kept harassing us. She insisted we give her her money! She said we short changed her and wouldn’t leave us alone. Because my kids were all standing there and we were suppose to be having the times of our lives–my husband gave her the rest of the money… It isn’t that we aren’t good tippers… It’s the principal of the matter. I think the servers attitudes in both situations were completely out of line. I do not want to be forced to do anything especially when the service is bad and/or lacking. We actually have a Disney Timeshare, so we go every year to Disney. We have never been so disappointed with our service… I think from now on we will eat counter service meals and limit our sit downs to just once. That means no more dinning plans for us!!!

Wow! that was just…smh. Incredibly, Rude! of her. I’m sorry, but server’s aren’t “entitled” to anything. I don’t care what kind of union they may have. Like the rest of the population, they need to EARN their money.
Your DH was a lot nicer than I would’ve been. Had it been us and someone followed me out of a restaurant demanding more money for a tip, I would’ve asked my DH to meet me at the next attraction while I had a few choice words with the server and mgr. I’m sorry but unless it’s Exceptional service, regardless of where I am I DON’T leave over 15%, and would NEVER incl a tip for an infant, unless they had done something to contribute to a mess.

Sorry your trip was soured by these actions.

WOW… unbelievable, I can’t believe that Disney did that. I would contact WDW corporate and tell them what happened, if need be send a copy of your receipt that incorporated the 18% grat. That is just uncalled for.

yes they count as the 6th, my now 3 yr old has been counted as the 6th both times she went (once as a 2 yr old and another time at 1). She was not charged to eat at buffets and routinely they brought extra fries or some side for her…and ALWAYS brought an extra plate for her to eat off of, and an extra drink at no charge.

So, we did not pay for any of that - so I was not too concerned with getting bumped to mandatory tip %.

Now, your waiter was VERY rude that is for sure.

Wow. I could understand if your child was eating table food but he is a baby. I would contact Disney and tell them your situtation. Union or not they should of not been counting your son.

As the mother of a daughter who was a server at LeCellier for a year I can certainly understand and sympathize that they are paid next to nothing and live on tips…but that in no way excuses the behaviour of that server. Absolutely unacceptable! I would have given her a tip - I would have told her to behave herself and learn some manners - then people might treat her better. As much as I love Diseny, some of their practises border on the “greedy” and I have to disagree with them on this policy, especially.

Server should have been terminated for her actions regardless of her being “entitled” to the tip. She created a situation that could have very easily gotten way out of hand when it could have been totally avoided. How much was she “stiffed”? Certainly no more than $3 and correct me if I’m wrong, but how can you figure a tip on a $0 bill (children under 3 are not charged).

To the tip itself, it is just wrong to force guests to tip for a person that required no additional service. Up to age 3, they shouldn’t be charging or expecting the tip.

[QUOTE=Soundgod;1088266]Server should have been terminated for her actions regardless of her being “entitled” to the tip. She created a situation that could have very easily gotten way out of hand when it could have been totally avoided. How much was she “stiffed”? Certainly no more than $3 and correct me if I’m wrong, but how can you figure a tip on a $0 bill (children under 3 are not charged).

To the tip itself, it is just wrong to force guests to tip for a person that required no additional service. Up to age 3, they shouldn’t be charging or expecting the tip.[/QUOTE]

Devil’s advocate here - I so TOTALLY didn’t mind getting bumped to the 6 Party tip rule cause like you said it only made the tip $3 to $5 more - if that - than i usually would have paid. Also, my under 3, eating the scraps here and there from all our plates usually made the BIGGEST mess to clean up. So, even though she was not being charged for the meal she was being “served”. Also, like I said, they would bring an extra plate and child’s drink for her. I did not mind at all, but I would have been TOTALLY upset if I was treated this way. I knew going into the first trip that this was the case, but if I had not known and asked the question and gotten this type of repsonse - I don’t know that I would have handled it in any sort of polite way:blush:

Typical union mentality. It is sad to see it permeating Disney. It could well be what brings down the mouse. They think they deserve any and everything they want. If they work for it fine and if not all the better. :angry:

I am just stunned at both the way your family was treated and the fact that an infant is counted as person 6! That is just ludicrous, almost as bad as their adult age being 9 years old. I think your husband handled it with more dignity than mine would have done, and I would most definitely be penning a letter like yesterday to senior management.

I actually liked the one waitress in MK, but when she responded that “he has a pulse, so he counts” attitude–I then disliked her. (My son is only 11 wks. so, there wasn’t an extra plate.)

i would have been upset and i thought it was 11 MONTHS - sorry. So, yes I knew there was rule concerning this but I thought it was based on TABLE SPACE. In other words, if they required seating. At 11 weeks, no seat rquired - EXTREME to say the least. I would write a letter myself.

I am dumbfounded. Both that an infant is #6 and at the behavior.

I guess we have been lucky. We have dined on the plan for years and I have never been asked how I would settle the tip. Most of our servers have been very good and I typically tip most servers 18% or 20%. The very few that were less than stellar get 15%.

While I think it’s excessive to count an infant as a 6th person, that wouldn’t bother me so much, as I routinely tip 18 - 20%. However, I am shocked at the rudeness of the servers in these cases. Certainly, the server at the Plaza could have chosen a more polite way to explain why the infant is counted as a sixth person. The server at Hollywood & Vine was strictly out of line, and, in my opinion, should have been disciplined. Your husband was more generous than I would have been; if I chose not to formally complain, I would have walked away from her and not given her a penny more. If she pursued me further, I’d have called for security, or the police for that matter. Everyone has bad days (and I may have chalked the first experience to that), but your second server was inexcusable. Sorry to hear that you had such a bad experience.

I just can’t imagine being chased out of a restaurant for a tip anywhere but to have it happen in Disney is appauling. I am a firm beliver that the tip reflects the service. I hate it that places like Disney just charge you a percentage regardless of service. ITS these times that the service seems to suffer. I understand the wages suck but that isnt our fault want a good tip earn it. You a bigger person than I as I would have made that server regret coming out of the restaurant to say the least.
It does tarnish the reputation a bit of the most wonderful place on earth.

Well, unborn babies have a pulse too - does that mean pregnant women should be counted as two? Puts a whole new meaning to the phrase “eating for two”.

I think it has nothing to do with anything other than poor behavior.

Dad, your point is well taken and I suppose it also depends upon how much of a mess your under 3 child made, and if anything was even shared with the child.
Too many variables for management to be so prickly about this.

Perhaps this forum isn’t the place for such sensitive issues.

i cant imagine this the server #2 was way out of control. i am sorry it is her choice to work as a server… the fact that she chased you down she should be fired… i know that being a server is hard work and they get paid nothing… but her behavior was beyond understandable.