Internet connection?

Hi

Does anyone know if you need a ethernet cord for internet connection. I read somewhere that they will provide a network cord for broadband. Just bought a new laptop and have never traveled with one before.

Thanks

It all depends on the hotel…

Some do, some don’t.

I have found that some hotels also provide internet access from computers in the lobby.

We are staying at the DLH, it said it has wi-fi in the lobby area and a broadband connection in the room. I don’t want to buy the wrong thing. I called and they said an ethernet cord, called back they said a network cord, but it wasn’t provided. Confused.

I stayed at both the Disneyland Hotel and the Grand Californian with my laptop at both resorts. I never needed a cable, I just “searched for local connections” & was instantly prompted with a “Disneyland Resort Internet Connection” screen that allowed me to connect through the concierge desk.

I always travel with a cat 5 cable to make sure I have a connection in case it is wired. You can pick them up for under $10.00 and its a good investment if you have a laptop and plan to use the internet while on the road.

Quartz7 thanks for this thread, thats just the info we are looking for as DD wants to take her laptop this trip.

Thanks Cubsblue!! Will do!! My hubby will also be traveling with our son for baseball this summer and will be taking his laptop!! This will help!!

Your welcome Dixie! I have to have everything planned out before I start really planning!!! LOL

Hey Wish, did you stay at the Club Level at the DLH?? Is that why you connected to the concierge desk?

Nope, not at all. Just a standard room at both the DL Hotel & the GC. A Disneyland homepage would pop up as soon as an internet connection was found & it always said something about “concierge desk.” It was during my 2006 trip and our trip this past June.

The DL has network cables for you to use in the desk in your room. Do take it home or they will charge you $10

Thats great, Thanks!! I think I will go ahead and buy my own, just in case. I know I would take it with me!!! LOL, not on purpose though.

All you need to do is go to even Walmart and buy a ecord… shouldn’t cost you more than 15. but if you are wireless like me… you are made in the shade.

yep I know for sure it is wireless, that’ how I have it connected at home. Just wasn’t sure if the wireless would be in the rooms.

Like I said I always have a cord because wireless can be so finicky at hotels. You may get a full signal in one room while the one next door keeps dropping. That is why I always travel with a CAT 5 cable. Of couse as an IT guy I am pickier than some would be.

Thats good to know! I was going to get a cable anyway. As the IT guy, is a CAT 6 cable ok. That what I saw online.

Thanks

CAT 6 is supposed to be better but there are not really any hard ratings for it like their are for CAT 5. For your purpose it will work fine but not really give you any higher performance.

It’s nice to be able to actually have something that is my ballpark that I can help with after having so much help from others here. I can finally give back a little.

Well, I might bend your ears a few times. We are new to the wireless and laptop community, it’s nice to have a place we can ask questions.

I am far from the final authority but feel free to PM me anytime. I’ll be glad to help if I can.

I think you probably know a bit more then me!!

Thanks I will!!