Interview WARNING!

I had my interview for the college program this past fall (for Summer 2010). It went extremely well and I was accepted into the program. However…Disney tried to pull a fast one on me.

The positions I applied for were: Retail/Merchandising, Attractions Operator, Wardrobe Manager and Bibbity Bobbity Boutique Worker. I know some of these positions offer very limited availablity…but I am a hair/makeup stylist for a living and the interviewer was so “wowed” by that. She even said, “Oh that would be great! We’ve never had a professional here before”. So what job did I end up getting?

Food Service.

Food Service wasn’t even on my list of jobs I was willing to do. So how did I get assigned, you ask? Well during the end of the interview the lady said to me, “I see food service is not on your list of jobs…but would you mind if I checked it just incase nothing else is available for you?”

DO NOT SAY YES TO THIS. I don’t think anyone really signs up for food service so they have to find a way to con people into choosing it. It’s really quite sad. I don’t think college students should have to work food service…that’s not really a good Disney experience. Unless maybe you were working a sit-down place, which is not the case here. They only have the students working counter service. :mellow:

Now, don’t think this is me trash talking the college program…because I’m sure it is fantastic. I just wish they would remove food service from the list of student jobs. It’s just not right to work a student 40 hours a week for $6/hour in the blistering heat with a neverending line of hungry people. I could have that “experience” in my hometown.

Oh man. I’m sorry you wound up with food service as your assignment. Pardon me if this is a dumb question, but since I know almost nothing about the college program - is there any chance of getting a reassignment after you’ve been there a while??

They say there is, but I imagine it’s quite difficult to switch out of food service since no one wants it. I know people who have ended up with different positions though.

I tell every single person who asks my advice on the program that.

NEVER AGREE TO BE OPEN TO ANY ROLE YOU ACTUALLY DONT WANT.

Cause no one wants those roles, so if you say yes, most likely thats one you’ll get! hahha.

As the mother of an alumni of the International Program I’m very familiar with this particular “Disney” magic. I think that working for Disney can be a wonderful experience - but don’t go in thinking that it’s all going to be pixie dust and fun. It isn’t. It’s hard work for very low wages. And Disney holds ALL the cards. Because my daughter was limited to working at the Canada Pavillion, there weren’t many jobs available. Everyone wanted to be a server because with tips you could earn some money. But you had to tow the line - tick Disney off and you could be demoted to “merchandise” in a heart beat. She had to work her way up from “popcorn cart” to “greeter” to “bussing” to, finally, “server”. That took about 4 months.

I hope you get the job you want, but don’t count on it. Disney will put you where they want you - and there isn’t a lot you can do about it.

so sorry to hear that you didn’t get want you want, hopefully you won’t be there long and you’ll get a better job

[QUOTE=StaceyDarling!;1031102]I tell every single person who asks my advice on the program that.

NEVER AGREE TO BE OPEN TO ANY ROLE YOU ACTUALLY DONT WANT.

Cause no one wants those roles, so if you say yes, most likely thats one you’ll get! hahha.[/QUOTE]

Wow you hit the nail on the head. If you don’t want a certain position why would you agree to take it? If I had the chance to work at Disney I would sling hambergers or sweep the street what ever it took to work there. I hear when your shift is done is when all the fun begins anyways.

Yeah, unfortunately, as soon as you agree to do a job it’s like you checked it off on your role checklist. Sorry that happened. But I keep hearing that any role is what you make of it, so just go in positive and maybe it will end up being better than you expected! :happy:

How long will you be there? I’m arriving in August - maybe we’ll cross paths?

Working 40 hours a week for $6 and hour is a student’s job. At least it was when I was a student. It’s kinda what’s available to students in your home town and in WDW. I am sorry that they tried to pull a fast one, but you did kinda let her check it off. She didn’t play fair however and definately tricked you. not so Disney. With your experience, being a professional and all, there should be more open to you. Did they offer you something else or will you be the burger person?

Welcome to the real world!:eek: Who should be working this job? By the way, federal minimum wage is $7.25.

[QUOTE=MarieKitteh;1031087]I had my interview for the college program this past fall (for Summer 2010). It went extremely well and I was accepted into the program. However…Disney tried to pull a fast one on me.

The positions I applied for were: Retail/Merchandising, Attractions Operator, Wardrobe Manager and Bibbity Bobbity Boutique Worker. I know some of these positions offer very limited availablity…but I am a hair/makeup stylist for a living and the interviewer was so “wowed” by that. She even said, “Oh that would be great! We’ve never had a professional here before”. So what job did I end up getting?

Food Service.

Food Service wasn’t even on my list of jobs I was willing to do. So how did I get assigned, you ask? Well during the end of the interview the lady said to me, “I see food service is not on your list of jobs…but would you mind if I checked it just incase nothing else is available for you?”

DO NOT SAY YES TO THIS. I don’t think anyone really signs up for food service so they have to find a way to con people into choosing it. It’s really quite sad. I don’t think college students should have to work food service…that’s not really a good Disney experience. Unless maybe you were working a sit-down place, which is not the case here. They only have the students working counter service. :mellow:

Now, don’t think this is me trash talking the college program…because I’m sure it is fantastic. I just wish they would remove food service from the list of student jobs. It’s just not right to work a student 40 hours a week for $6/hour in the blistering heat with a neverending line of hungry people. I could have that “experience” in my hometown.[/QUOTE]

That’s a good warning, sorry you had to learn the hard way. I don’t really think Disney is worried about college students having a really “good Disney experience,” they are looking for affordable (ok, cheap) labor. I’ve never thought the college program was about giving you something you were truly interested in, I’ve always thought it was about hiring college students to work a lot of hours at the lowest pay rate possible.

I hope you can make the most of it and enjoy your experience.

It’s strange, I have a good friend who experienced the same thing. He’s a performer, did an audition & was told that even if he didn’t make performer (like for a stage show, etc) that he would be put on a “high spiel” attraction. Sure enough, the info came & they put his somewhere else, where his biggest talents won’t even be seen.

I just read back over your post, and actually, College Program participants CAN work at full service restaurants. I know of 3 people who got the Full Service Food & Beverage role for this Fall/Fall Advantage, and one of my friends did FSFB on her last program - she was at California Grill.

Maybe you could call your recruiter and see if you could switch into FSFB, if you think you’d be happier there?

ps. The pay rates vary across roles, but everyone makes minimum wage at least.

https://www.wdwcollegeprogram.com/sap/its/mimes/zh_wdwcp/students/work/work_payrate.html
Hourly Wage
“A Disney College Program participant’s wage will vary between $7.25-8.39 per hour, based on the role that he/she is selected to perform. Participants may also be eligible for premium pay in select roles and will learn their exact rate of pay upon receiving an invitation.”

[QUOTE=PrincessJill;1031257]I just read back over your post, and actually, College Program participants CAN work at full service restaurants. I know of 3 people who got the Full Service Food & Beverage role for this Fall/Fall Advantage, and one of my friends did FSFB on her last program - she was at California Grill.

Maybe you could call your recruiter and see if you could switch into FSFB, if you think you’d be happier there?

ps. The pay rates vary across roles, but everyone makes minimum wage at least.

https://www.wdwcollegeprogram.com/sap/its/mimes/zh_wdwcp/students/work/work_payrate.html
Hourly Wage
“A Disney College Program participant’s wage will vary between $7.25-8.39 per hour, based on the role that he/she is selected to perform. Participants may also be eligible for premium pay in select roles and will learn their exact rate of pay upon receiving an invitation.”[/QUOTE]

Yes, plenty of collegeprogram people work as servers. Actually, most people aspire to server, simply because of the tips. Remember, out of that minimum wage, you have to pay Disney for your rent, so it doesn’t leave a lot for extras.

[QUOTE=PrincessJill;1031138]Yeah, unfortunately, as soon as you agree to do a job it’s like you checked it off on your role checklist. Sorry that happened. But I keep hearing that any role is what you make of it, so just go in positive and maybe it will end up being better than you expected! :happy:

How long will you be there? I’m arriving in August - maybe we’ll cross paths?[/QUOTE]

I actually denied the position and I won’t be going…I worked at Steak 'n Shake for a good 3 years in high school and there is just no way that I could survive 6 months of that again, even if it is in Disney World. I had no idea that quick service could lead you to full service though…I may have toughed it out if I had known that. But good luck with the program! I hope you have a blast!

Well, I can appreciate you not wanting to work food service. But let’s be honest, there are A LOT of jobs to fill, and darn few are going to be glamorous.

That said, there are no shortage of people who have climbed the ladder within Disney from entry level positions. The education you’d get there could be the most valuable part of your college career in terms of real life experiences (corporations love employees who are team members), or it can be just another grunt job.

Not saying your decision was right or wrong - only you can really make that decision. Just another point of view from an employer.

And I actually like the fact that you care enough to want to pass on a tip to help others.

That’s a bummer that you declined the program even though you were selected for food service, albeit not your first choice. It really is what you make of it.

We just as a family went to Disney and our celebration was my niece’s first visit. We ate lunch at Columbia Harbor House. You’re right there are a lot of students working in there, but all in all they didn’t look nearly as miserable as you would think. Let’s be honest, although the outfits are in the period, they’re absolutely ridiculous, the skirts are long, their sleeves are long, and they have to wear a big puffy hat. It’s FL and it’s hot!

We were on the dining plan so we got a dessert with our food anyway, but a young girl walked over saw our niece and asked if she wanted a chocolate cake. You honestly would have thought you’d just given my niece the Golden Ticket to the Wonka Factory! My niece who’s 2 said tank you, smiled, and it made this young ladies day. We were go grateful to her as well and thanked her graciously.

Not only did she make my niece’s day she made our day as well. We have the greatest pictures of her with chocolate cake all over her face.

This young lady could have been absolutely miserable, ticked off that she was refilling mustard and ketchup! We never would have known, she was so delighted to help us out. Maybe she didn’t get the position she wanted but she really made the best of it.

On top of the experience itself working at Disney, learning their traditions, and knowing all about their fantastic customer service looks awesome on a resume. Not only does it look awesome on a resume but employers will specifically ask you about it in an interview.

My sister currently lives in DC and has been applying for internships and jobs and has specifically had potential employers ask her about her time at Disney. I’m her personal reference and they’ve even asked me about it. Disney is a highly respected corporation by other companies.

Additionally, the free classes, that can count as college credits, that Disney offers you are absolutely invaluable. Management courses, tours of back stage areas that only employees can see, etc.

I am so sorry you had a negative experience with the CP interviewing process. They do definitely try to get you to agree to a Food and Beverage role mostly because that is where the bulk of the positions are. I really hoped for an Attractions role on my CP, knew that it was likely I would end up with Merchandise because of previous experience and told them I would NOT consider food and beverage if it were the only thing available. I ended up with Merchandise as I expected. I knew I was taking a risk by saying I wouldn’t consider the Food role, but I knew if I agreed to it, that is where they would put me.

So sorry you had to turn down the CP. Maybe you can apply again for another semester?