Is Disney pricing themself out of reach?

[B]It seems that instead of trying to going once a year, its almost becoming a once in a lifetime vacation?[/B]

Yeah, I agree. They seem to be comming up with more deals but, at the same time they keep raising prices in certain areas. Food is one of those areas. They raise they DDP prices and some “holiday” dinning prices. It is crazy.:eek:

I think folks that don’t have young children can still plan on a yearly trip, but the prices at wdw are getting out of reach for families. Raising children in these days have gotten so expensive, especially schooling. Parents with more than 2 children have to decide where best to spend their money. Sometimes vacations have to be put on hold.

they are getting out of hand maybe if they dropped prices a little more people would go… however that said DH and i have been pricing trips to Ireland it has always been his dream to go to Ireland and Scotland… well. it is so far out of our budget it makes a week in disney look like pocket change. also a week at the shore is almost as much as a week at disney … so all prices are out of control.

The first time we went to Disney we thought we would never beable to go again. Now my wife and son will be on their fourth trip. We have managed to make it evey other year. We enjoy the beach as well so this works out well for us on our off years. As far as the price goes eveything is more expensive gas, food, medical, taxes. so it only makes sense that Disney prices would be going up to.

The problem is that they have to raise their prices to meet the unions demands and the food costs have risen greatly in the past year. But the biggest cost is fuel, electricity, and pay. They can reduce the pay cost by reducing the number of workers but that degrades the workforce. The only was to keep prices down is for them to have the state become a right to work state.
I been in shops that are unionized and everyone of them have gone the way for the dinosaur. I hope that WDW doesn’t end up the same way.

I definetly agree that it is getting more expensive.

I see that Disney has buy 4 nights and get 3 free.

Am I understanding that you have to be a family of four, mother, father, and two children?

What kind of deal is that unless you meet those requirements, or am I not understanding the offer correctly.

Unique1:confused:

[QUOTE=Unique1;937521]I definetly agree that it is getting more expensive.

Am I understanding that you have to be a family of four, mother, father, and two children?

What kind of deal is that unless you meet those requirements, or am I not understanding the offer correctly.

Unique1:confused:[/QUOTE]

You don’t have to be . . . they adjust it for you. I’m One Adult, Two kids and I was able to book the deal!

As I stated in other threads, it’s not just the increase prices but at the same time they take away services, fireworks, parades, attractions, etc. So it’s a multiple loss situation for the consumer.

I think their prices are in line with everything else.

Lunch at Cosmic Rays, one adult, two kids is like $18 . . . go to McDonalds, it will be close to the same!

The value resorts during a deal $69/night . . . can’t beat that!?!

Personally I even think the $75/day ticket price isn’t bad . . . think of what you get:
Unlimited rides
Parade(s)
character interaction
shows
fireworks

That’s a lot of entertainment for a small price! :mickey:

[QUOTE=Unique1;937521]I definetly agree that it is getting more expensive.

Unique1:confused:[/QUOTE]

You definitely don’t have to be a family of four to book that deal. Disney uses a family of four as an example for most of their deals because it’s the most common family size that generally books trips to Disney. We are a family of 4 but are going without the girls this time, and were able to book the deal for 2 adults no problem.

I voted that their prices are fairly in line with everything else. Obviously the food prices are going to be higher than if you bought food off-site, and a Mickey Mouse mug will always be more expensive than a plain mug bought at Wal-Mart. (But we don’t even really need more mugs, so obviously we buy it for Mickey anyway right? :wink:)

But when you consider the deals they often offer on the resorts/packages, it makes up for it. DH and I weren’t planning on going to Disney for our anniversary, but this buy 4, get 3 free package was impossible to pass up! We got way more for our $$ than we would have if we had gone elsewhere.

I truly believe that you are getting a great quality vacation for the money. But, where it seems unmanageable is if you would like to take a short trip. With the kids in school, and DH changing jobs, no vacation time is available. So, every time I look to sneak out for a weekend, when you add up ticket prices (they get cheaper the longer you stay) it just shuts my trip down. I wish Disney would look at that and offer some type of weekend packages. I believe they would be surprised at how many people would take advantage of that.

[QUOTE=disneycouple30;937519]The problem is that they have to raise their prices to meet the unions demands and the food costs have risen greatly in the past year. But the biggest cost is fuel, electricity, and pay. They can reduce the pay cost by reducing the number of workers but that degrades the workforce. The only was to keep prices down is for them to have the state become a right to work state.
I been in shops that are unionized and everyone of them have gone the way for the dinosaur. I hope that WDW doesn’t end up the same way.[/QUOTE]

I can’t say how unions affect WDW, but I can say that my experience working in a union vs a non-union state is the opposite of your experience. Employee quality, retention and results were by far greater when I worked within a union.

As for WDW prices, I think that they are expensive, but not anymore so than other forms of travel or entertainment. The two places I think Disney IS way overpriced is for Disney Cruises and Adventures by Disney. I’d love to do a Disney Cruise, but it is cost-prohibitive for us.

I kinda have to disagree. The reason why DH agrees to go year after year is because it is the most affordable vacation for us!

We drive down…we only spend about $250-$300 RT including gas, tolls and 1 quick meal for 4 of us.

We buy 10 day No Expiration Park Hopper Tix with Plus options…we have 20 days worth of fun that spreads out over a bunch of trips.

We don’t go to the parks every day…maybe 3-4 times during our vacation.

We get the meal plan when staying onsite…which allows us to have great meals, for a great value. The Disney Meal Plan is affordable for what you get.

I completely agree- remember when tickets didn’t have an expiration date? Now that you have to pay $$$ for that feature with the MYW tickets, the weekend trip becomes less attractive. Now the four of us buy APs every year (with the DVC discount) instead.

People who ask me for help when planning their WDW trip are always shocked when they see how the pricing structure is. WDW obviously did this to get people to stay longer with “hey- an 8 day ticket only costs $5 more than a 7 day ticket!” The 4/3 deal is good, but not everyone has 7 days, as you mention.

I do agree that maybe they should look at a weekend getaway package. Not everyone has 1 week to go but maybe a long weekend would be acceptable. That maybe would attract more people. It is tough whatever way you look at it. Either you have the money(or money to save) or you don’t. I like taking 3 or 4 nights evry now and then. I am sure with the economy the way it is we have’nt seen the end of the discounts.

[QUOTE=mickeysgirlz;937532]I think their prices are in line with everything else.

Lunch at Cosmic Rays, one adult, two kids is like $18 . . . go to McDonalds, it will be close to the same!

The value resorts during a deal $69/night . . . can’t beat that!?!

Personally I even think the $75/day ticket price isn’t bad . . . think of what you get:
Unlimited rides
Parade(s)
character interaction
shows
fireworks

That’s a lot of entertainment for a small price! :mickey:[/QUOTE]

I agree, Jen. Everything is expensive and just going up and up. We were not able to go last year for the first time since 1998. It was just because I had a bad year at work (Real Estate agent), my husband had an accident and we just couldn’t swing it. I don’t feel that it is Disney’s fault, though.

[QUOTE=leslieh;937558]I

As for WDW prices, I think that they are expensive, but not anymore so than other forms of travel or entertainment. The two places I think Disney IS way overpriced is for Disney Cruises and Adventures by Disney. I’d love to do a Disney Cruise, but it is cost-prohibitive for us.[/QUOTE]

I DEFINITELY agree with you on the above! I would ABSOLUTELY LOVE to do a Disney Cruise…however, I can get a similar cruise from NY for half to a third of the price. I just can’t swallow the Disney Cruise Line premiums! :blink:

I have to say, when you book into our local Best Western, the cheapest room is $119.00. That’s it. All you get is a room at a Best Western which could be in any of a million places, they all look alike, there’s no “theming” unless you call the decor themeing.
There is nothing around that place; you need to drive 2 miles to get into town, there’s nothing going on in town - there’s only a small beach.

I think for what we get at Disney in the way of surroundings, beautifully decorated and themed resorts, restaurants gallore, free transportation, a lot of extras like package delivery and on and on, it is a good deal.

Disney is not a bargain. There’s hardly a fun and worthwhile vacation that is a bargain these days. Our collective vacations with Disney are 99.999% predictably wonderful. We don’t need to worry about save and clean accommodations, we know we’ll be taken care of at Disney.

You can take a vacation on a ranch and pay for the pleasure of working there, blahhhh