Is it warm enough for shorts?

I’m not sure how to pack for December!!we only been to Disney once in December and it was a long time ago. I do recall being chilly at times. How should we pack/dress for our trip?? 12/15-12/23
We r from colorado and its cold here! Very cold!!:redface:
Thanks!

[QUOTE=inluvwithdisney;1125214]I’m not sure how to pack for December!!we only been to Disney once in December and it was a long time ago. I do recall being chilly at times. How should we pack/dress for our trip?? 12/15-12/23
We r from colorado and its cold here! Very cold!!:redface:
Thanks![/QUOTE]

We have been to WDW lots of times in December—and on into January. Our weather ran anywhere from 80’s down to 29…and yes that says 29 degrees. I tell you that because we didn’t plan well for it, and froze on New Years Eve. That particular year, they covered up the topiaries, and the canals were starting to freeze over. During the day on New Years Eve, it got up to 40 degrees. However, a few days before it was 70 during the day…

Pack for extremes…we checked the weather before leaving and the coldest The Weather Channel said it would get that year was 60 during the night. Wrong!!! Luckily we had brought along hats and gloves but we bought extra sweatshirts to layer—could have used a coat.

Most of the time, it has been just cold…as in 60’s at night, upper 60’s lower 70’s during the day—but you never know. Plan ahead. There were no gloves in WDW for sale—so glad we had them.

I have been there a few times in January and have packed layered clothing for the park days. I wore cotton pants most of the time with a T-shirt and a hoodie over it - hoodie got tied around my waist when it was warm enough. I use to also bring a few pairs of shorts just in case and more them more than I thought I would. Early morning and evening can get cold, so do bring at least a sweatshirt for that.

I have lived in Florida all my life, some years its freezing. But there have been years that we have had to run the A/C on Christmas Day and we were walking around in shorts. So far this fall it has been chilly in the mornings and evenings. Which is a sign for a cold winter. IMO I would pack atleast 2 pairs of shorts just in case, we get a warm spell.

We keep getting this every December.
And it’s always the same.
I’ve seen it where you needed long pants during the day and a heavier jacket at night and I’ve seen it where it’s been 80 degrees at midnight on New Year’s Eve.

Keep looking at the 10 day forecast on Weather Channel’s site so you can get a feel for the trend.
When you pack, be ready for anything. Or be ready to buy a new Disney jacket.

We pack everything. Shorts, t-shirts, long sleeve shirt, sweatshirt, jeans, hats, gloves. We like being prepared.

I do have a little advantage.
Living in South Florida and packing the night before, I pretty much already know what I’ll be dealing with. Then again, my normal wardrobe is mostly shorts and tee shirts to start with.

So sweatshirts are a must. It sounds like as well as sweatpants or jeans too? Along with gloves? Crazy!! I was really hoping to wear shorts! And pack light! Bummer!

We always pack a lot more for a Dec trip vs a May or Sept trip.

How does cold affect you? We find what would sound not so bad temp wise, we are freezing. Maybe because you are out for hours at a time at disney. We just rather have the extra clothes and not need them.

[QUOTE=jo-jo;1125306]We always pack a lot more for a Dec trip vs a May or Sept trip.

How does cold affect you? We find what would sound not so bad temp wise, we are freezing. Maybe because you are out for hours at a time at disney. We just rather have the extra clothes and not need them.[/QUOTE]

Good point!! Colorado is pretty cold and we still wear shorts at home a lot. BUT, I am a lot colder lately and I don’t want to be miserable for hours at Disney. I recently lost over 50lbs so I am not nearly as warm as I use to always feel!! Now I just need to convince my family of that! They automatically think Florida- hot!

My personal opinion is that if you aren’t used to the damp cold…it makes a difference…the cold goes deep for us when it’s cold there…we are pretty dry here when it’s freezing cold at home…there in FL…it’s a damper cold…if that makes sense…

We have been to WDW in both extremes of weather, and my DD and I agree we would take the 99 degree heat with 90s humidity over the cold and damp of the Dec and Jan…but we have also been in Jan when it was shirt sleeved weather so…

Just be prepared with hats and gloves…they don’t take up a lot of space, and the time it was below freezing, they were not available for sale anywhere on property…people were asking to buy them from us, and we had to hang onto our hats (literally) to keep someone from stealing them…you may or not need them…

Lois

Should we worry about boots?? I mean is it so cold that we need warm boots too?

Pack for layers. Dec isn’t that cold. You can get away with shorts most days.

The early mornings will be cool, bid mid to late morning it will be warm, by afternoon it could be hot by mid afternoon war and as the sunset back to cool.

If you wear shorts, and layer a shirt and a sweatshirt or pullover you should be fine. If you still think you won’t be warm enough add another shirt before heading out. As the day warms just peal off a layer and as it cools put a layer back on.

29 degrees is only hit at like 4 in the morning and that is not a regular accurance. The colds you might experance normal Disney hours would be a very late EMH. If you are out around 10pmyou might see the mid 40s. The majority of the time it the day time temps will be in the high 60s low70s…unless there is a freak cold front than you might see day time highs in the 50s.

So pack some pants, pack shorts, pack a sweatshirt or pullover, a few longsleeve shirts ans a few tee shirts…I guarantee it will be warmer than you have at home.

I wouldn’t bother with boots…just don’t rely on flip flops alone!!!

I think that the advise for dressing in layers is best. We go to DW every year in November, December or January. While staying at the Wilderness Camp Ground last January we had mornings when there was ice on the docks and we had to be dressed very warmly for the boat ride across to MK. By the afternoon we were comfortable in jeans and a t-shirt, but after the sun went down we needed sweatshirts again. I doubt you will need cold weather gear as you would at home, but be prepared for a wide range of temperatures.

You can certainly tell who is from the north when you visit WDW in December and January. Above 50 it is shorts and t-shirt and below it is sweat pants and a light jacket for me. I have a 14 year-old DS who wears shorts and slides year round even up in the snow belt where we live.

I have been there is shorts and bundled up like I was going skiiing. Most likely it will be in between with chilly evenings - jacket/sweater type nights.

Ya well my main worry is the fact that my DH and my DS both wear shorts in the winter in Colorado. So convincing them to bring warm stuff may be hard.

:laugh::laugh:…if they wear shorts in the Colorado winters they will be fine with them in Fla…

Seriously, just plan for a bit of everything for December weather at WDW and you will be ok…

I live north of the mouse house but still in florida. Pack a sweatshirt pullover but bring your shorts. Depending on the number of days you will be here I would just suggest 2 pairs of jeans. Use the pullover as you leave the hotel but be prepared to tie it to your waist. You will not need a coat nor gloves.