Is it wise to buy park passes over one year in advance?

It looks as though Ill be p[lanning a trip for July 2010. I was wondering if it would be wise to purchase park passes this far in advance given you have to pay extra for the non expiration privelege? Has anyone done this before?

I have not done this before, but you should save some money when the inevitable price increases take place. I guess you’d have to figure out the price difference between what the no-expire option will cost versus what the price increase may be.

We knew the ticket price was increasing last summer, so we bought tix for our twins last August, before the price went up, and are not using them until this June (less than 2 weeks, yeah!). The timeframe doesn’t start on the tix until you actually use (activate) them, so if you buy them now, but don’t use them, you don’t need the no expiration option. If you use any of the days on the ticket, though, you will need that option. Just hang onto your receipt.

I would most definately get the passes now if you can. They will go up, so save yourself the money. They won’t expire as long as you don’t use them. Save your receipt regardless. I have bought passes many months before a trip and have never had an issue.

Do you really think prices will increase enough to offset the outrageous fee they charge for the no expiration option? I wouldn’t think so.

As long as you don’t use them they won’t activate so you don’t need the no expiration option…I do this when I am getting a good room discount or renting points. I save up enough to buy one ticket, buy it, then save for the other etc. That way that expense is already take care of.
If you plan on buying say…a 10 day PH…using 3 days this year and adding the no expiration I don’t think it would offset the cost of adding the no exp. to the ticket as apposed to buying them next year…but I’m not sure it’d depend on the days you were going etc…

I did this a few times. what I did was go to my local Disney store and purchase the amount in days I needed and did this for 6 months straight that way it was done and paid for.
It wont expire untill you scan it at the park and then counts down from there.

We usually stay in Orlando for one week. I like the idea of buying passes like a month at a time, but am I to understand correctly that they wont EVER expire as long as I havent used them yet??

Correct BUT if you scan them in the park they WILL expire. I think there was a thread a while ago that someone had tickets from the 90s.
Call your local Disney Store to double check. Again… I once purchased tickets a year and a half before we left and we were good.

I like to buy a non-expiring 10 day hopper and use it up a few days at a time since I tend to go for short trips.

Actually, you’ve hit on one of my savings strategies. Once I have saved up enough money for a ticket or two, I go to the Disney store and pick up the first couple. Then start saving again, pick up a couple of more.

Make sense?

If I purchase passes in advance, will I still be able to take advantage of a FREE DINING promotion if it happens or is that only in package deals?

Same as the other posts…I understand that the pass will not expire until 14 days after you use the first day. No need to purchase the non-expire option unless you want to hold on to remaining days after you’ve used the pass.

I love the tip of buying one ticket at a time!! We don’t have a Disney store close by, but that is a good way to pay for a bit of the trip at a time. Oh, I just thought of something, the only downfall maybe is that when you book your trip, if you don’t purchase tickets you can’t purchase the dining plan. Hmmmmm, maybe doesn’t work for us. Good tip though.

That’s cool-didn’t know that.

Actually, you can purchase a 1-day base ticket for each member of your party and still have Free Dining added to your entire package. Last spring, we did the FREE premium ticket/discount room package and had way more ticket than we needed. I added no expiration before leaving and was able to take advantage of FREE Dining this upcoming August by just adding 1-day base tickets to my reservation. Since all members of the party have to have the same ticket when making a reservation and two members of my party this year did not come last year, I will be adding days to their tickets once we arrive.

Can I confirm I’m thinking this straight? If I were to buy a 5 day park hopper at the Disney store for one person of my family, and after I paid that off, continued purchasing with the next family member, when I activate the park hopper, all 5 days would have to be used by the 14th day? Do I have to put the ticket in a family members name at time of purchase, or does it get assigned to a family member at time of activation.

[QUOTE=cinderbella;961197]As long as you don’t use them they won’t activate so you don’t need the no expiration option…I do this when I am getting a good room discount or renting points. I save up enough to buy one ticket, buy it, then save for the other etc. That way that expense is already take care of.
If you plan on buying say…a 10 day PH…using 3 days this year and adding the no expiration I don’t think it would offset the cost of adding the no exp. to the ticket as apposed to buying them next year…but I’m not sure it’d depend on the days you were going etc…[/QUOTE]

You can add the non expiration at the END of your trip too! BUT, you have to pay for all the days on the ticket.

One July we went with my parents, they had 5 day park hoppers. It was too hot for Mom 2 days, so she didn’t go to the park. I inquired and they let me add the non expiration then and there . . . $5/day . . . $25! BUT, when we came back for a trip that November, she was able to add 5 days to the ticket at the 10 day price. (so is was like we got the 10 day discount!)

Not sure of the EXACT math, but I think it worked out to our favor.

It activates the first time you run it through the turnstile at the gate. The fingerprint is what “attaches” that ticket to that person.

And YES, with out the no expiration option it would have to be used by the 14th day. But like I said in my previous post, I was allowed to add this feature on the last day, during check out.

We too did something similar this year. We did the 4nights for the price of 3 deal but we did two separate reservations because we wanted to stay for two weeks. It was much more economical for me to put a 10 day ticket on the first reservation, then just buy a one day ticket for the second reservation just so I could purchase the dining plan. It would have been more expensive to have two-5day passes because, as Disney promotes, the longer you stay, the cheaper the tickets per day.

Although…in this case, I don’t think the savings of purchasing tickets in advance would outweight the cost of having to buy an extra one-day ticket (the first day of a pass is by far the most expensive). I think if you need to purchase a day in order to aquire the dining plan, you may want to crunch the numbers to make sure that your savings covers the cost of an additional first day. Otherwise you get caught paying for two “1st Days”. Confused Yet?:happy:

:huh: A little.