Is the Dining Plan worth it?

To get the dining plan or not to get the dining plan, That is the question!
There are times we go and everyone tells me, we should have just paid for our meals. But for me I always liked not having surprises and just being able to relax about that one more added expense.
So looking for those who have analized it and decided it is or isn’t worth it. If we didn’t it would probably jut get charged to the room anyway. But I feel it would take anyalizing a trip with and without it. I can only take the cost of it multiplied by ppl and days we’ll be there. Nothing for not having the dining plan. HELP!

For some it is and for some it isn’t. Look at allears and choose a restaurant then pick typical meals for people in your group. See how it works out.

I’ve done the math for my family and it isn’t worth it. We would lose money about every day if we used the dining plan. I know the dining plan is less stressful for some people but it’s stressful to me. I look at the menu and do the math so I don’t lose money that day instead of ordering what I really want.

[QUOTE=gemdisney;1119945]To get the dining plan or not to get the dining plan, That is the question!
There are times we go and everyone tells me, we should have just paid for our meals. But for me I always liked not having surprises and just being able to relax about that one more added expense.
So looking for those who have analized it and decided it is or isn’t worth it. If we didn’t it would probably jut get charged to the room anyway. But I feel it would take anyalizing a trip with and without it. I can only take the cost of it multiplied by ppl and days we’ll be there. Nothing for not having the dining plan. HELP![/QUOTE]

If its free its worth it :laugh::laugh::laugh:

It seems that it is not worth it any more if you budget well.

Originally Posted by jimbo
If its free its worth it

This is true!

For our family it’s definitely worth it. We make sure to eat at restaurants that are a little more pricey, which we probably wouldn’t do without the dining plan (O’hana, Les Chefs de France, Chef Mickey’s). And I feel better never having to see the bill for it, it was already factored into the price of our trip!

That being said, if you will mostly be eating at CS, with an occasional sit-down meal, then the DDP may not be the best option.

We did a sit down meal once per day this last trip, and ate dessert once per day this trip (on DDP- you get it twice). Doing that, it was not worth it for us… even is we got dessert twice… But it depends on how you eat too… Some people are deluxe eaters all the way. We are semi-deluxe. I like a nice place to sit down for an hour, but not the top of the line restaurants (we are mostly eating in the parks)…

Up until this year, it had been worth it, but the cost keeps going up…

[QUOTE=Disney Princess;1119971]

That being said, if you will mostly be eating at CS, with an occasional sit-down meal, then the DDP may not be the best option.[/QUOTE]

That would be me. Yoo Hoo,:goofybounce: over here, hand in the air,:cheshire: that fits me to the tee :laugh:

Like Dt said, it depends on the family. When we all go (7), we use the plan. It works out well for us. When it is just DW and I, not so much.

I’m not liking it so much these days.
The break even point has moved ever higher, to the point that more often than not, you won’t break even.
As always, it’s a math problem that will be unique to your family.
This means that right now, you need to look at the menus and prices and see what works best for your expected desires for THIS trip.

We won’t go without it! We usually upgrade to the deluxe dining though. We like to relax and have a sit down breakfast (usually a character) a counter service or snack (if dinner is at a signature restaurant) for lunch and then a table service dinner. A)We don’t have to save money aside to spend on food. Its already been paid for. 2)If we want dessert, its paid for so we don’t have to worry about spending the extra and 3)You don’t worry about what you order. My DH ordered a $48 steak at Yachtsman…do you think we would have paid for that if we didn’t have the DDP? ah no! Lol. Long story short I am a firm believer in the DDP. You just have to take full advantage of it!

It really depends on what type of trip you plan on having it. I’d say 80% of the time, it doesn’t pay for us, as we don’t like schedules and do fine with CS. But, every once in a while, there will be a different type trip, where we have several TS meals planned, that I like the idea of being able to choose the expensive steak, that normally I would shy away from. As everyone else has recommended, check Allears.net menus.

For us it doesn’t work well. I don’t like feeling the pressure to eat every day at specific restaurants at specific times. On the odd time that we do get it, I arrange a signature restaurant for every second night. I can’t handle a table-service every single night. I feel like all I’m doing is eating, eating, eating.

Disneyfan722 this is exactly why I always get it!
We’re trying to eat much better lately, I’ve lost 30lbs and plan on getting back to “my” size especially with no more babies in the future. So maybe then I will want to “watch” my eating more??? Who knows.
But I love all the input and I did research it a liland agreeif we go one way it would be perfect but if we decide not to plan and such, it wouldn’t work. I have plenty of time to decide and research (which I love doing) and figuring it out.

I just went onto AE and priced some of our next trip, the only days we’ve been able to narrow down so far. I priced our AK Day, HS Day and an off/DTD day of what I PLAN (not CAN) to order.

AK: Flame Tree (no dessert), snack, and Boma- $48.93 + tax.
HS: Pizza Planet (yuk, but it’s kids choice and again no dessert), snack, and ESPN (the burger is calling). I did not add dessert as i’ll problably be too full and also didn’t add drink since DDP won’t cover my choice- $35.17 + tax.
DTD/off day: Earl, snack, and Ragland Road (definitely with dessert but again, no drink as it won’t be covered)- $39.76 + tax.

Now this is our plan and what looks good TODAY, but that’s not to say i’ll be in the mood for those same items/locations 6 months from now. I don’t even know the current cost of DDP but unless we really went over the top on our other 2-3 days it seems like paying OOP would serve us better.

I think If you have children and plan to do a lot of character dinners you will come out ahead with the regular (1 TS, 1 CS, 1 snack) plan.

We do the Deluxe Dining Plan. The last couple of trips it’s just been DH and myself. We go to one of the character breakfast and a signature dinner, for lunch we have some kind of snack. The plan works out well for us because we eat more than the cost of the plan.

Depends on the age of the child. My two oldest are 12 and 10 . Sometimes they want food off the kids menu. For a sit down it does not pay. For TS, they do not differentiate between children and an adult. Just keep that in mind too…

So far the things we do plan on going to are Boma & Ohana are breakfast and dinner, Tusker House & maybe Cape May breakfasts and maybe do a dinner at 1900 Park Fare. We were thinking we would do a lunch at Beaches and Cream;
a dinner with no kids at one of the following 3; California grill, Sanaa, Jiko. Depending on weather one suggested maybe doing the Mickey’s Backyard BBQ because none of us have done that. Although we have decided a few times that the dinner shows sometimes don’t seem to be worth the cost. Other than these meals here we will probably do quick service/snacks. Also another unknown is my son will be in a votech class and depending on the teachers requirements he may not be with us the whole trip. I’m hoping he will because they have a 5 day weekend (we’ll be in Daytona for 3 then Disney 2 days)then 5 days of school and then another 4 day weekend. So it will stink if they want him back during that time. If the program runs as it should he will be out of school for half days working…which would be with my husband if they allow that, so he’d have the time off anyway.
So I guess there are many issues in my decision.
My children will be then 3, almost 8 & 16.

Yes, I highly recommend the middle Disney Dining plan: NOT the quick service and NOT the Deluxe, but the regular Disney Dining Plan. It saves a lot of money and then there are no surprises. If you do not use all of your snack credits, then you can always on your last day gets snacks to take home for your trip home.

After crunching the numbers for our last trip and next trip TIW put us out way ahead of any dining plan, which would have lost us money. TIW actually put us ahead on the last trip even after the cost of the card. This next trip is all gravy.

I works for us. DS is under 3 so alot of the times when we are at the TS they asked if they could bring him something and it was usually for free of charge. When we do QS we share with him or pay out of pocket to get him a kids meal.

We have done all 3 different plans and really like the QS plane. The bigger plan with 3 meals were just too much.