Is WDW just for the young?

[B][I]We have been to WDW several times. Usually with our children when they were small & when they were grown with children of their own. We were included in everything & felt a part of the magic.

We have, also, gone by ourselves. I feel like it’s different when we go by ourselves. We still enjoy it. But, I feel that we are overlooked by the WDW people. It seems to me that WDW people caters only to those with children in the parks.

I mean, I know that WDW does & should cater mostly to the children but don’t we old people count, too? We are young at heart. :crying:

I would (especially) like to hear some feedback from those younger couples & those older couples who go without children. But, everyone may respond. TY[/I][/B]

DH and myself went last June for an “adults only” trip, and didn’t really feel that way at all. In fact, we were at such a relaxed pace, we were able to have great conversations with CM’s everywhere. Be it at the resort to dinner, to the parks. It was definitely a different trip, as we really didn’t partake in as many rides as when we are with the kids, but definitely enjoyed the “magic” all the staff had to offer.

DW and I go alone every other year for our anniversary (love the DVC). We always enjoy ourselves. We can linger where we want and have always been treated well.

Except for the Tinkerbell incident. But we do not speak of that. I did the community service and paid my fines.

Our experiences have been COMPLETELY opposite! We’ve always had CMs talk with us, the Dream Team has come up to us several times & we don’t have children, and I’ve never felt ignored. Even when I had my “birthday button” in Disneyland I felt like the CMs were treating me LIKE a kid!!! :tongue: They were always singing Happy Birthday in front of guests, doing little surprises, & making birthday comments.

I can see how if you are used to going to WDW with children only how an “adults trip” would feel different, especially the pace. Although, I haven’t identified anything else different besides takin’ it easy more, enjoying more adult beverages, visiting the spa, and taking advantage of more fine dining experiences. Everything else always felt the same to me. :smile:

I have only been to WDW once with a child. I definitely think it is an adult place too.

Last time we were there (with DS, of course) DH and I talked about how we noticed a lot of senior citizens at the parks this time around. Maybe we just didn’t notice them the first couple of times. We both said, “Hmm. That’s us twenty years from now!” :happy: We couldn’t do Disney without DS for a few years without feeling incredibly guilty, but we’d enjoy it! And twenty years from now, we’ll be there! :happy:

DH and I went May 2007 for an adult trip and we loved it!! We went together another trip alone in 1997 when we first started dating. We LOVE going by ourselves and granted it’s a whole different experience with kids, we found that being by ourselves WDW can be VERY romantic!! And we find it so much more relaxing!! While we were there last May we were celebrating our 6th year wedding anniversary and we wore our buttons and we got alot of attention from CM’s!!

We love going by ourselves and with the kids too and we’re planning our 2011 adult-10 year wedding anniversary-vow renewal trip (we’ll have trips there in between too but with the kids) and we can’t wait!!

I do think that it is for all ages-after all we do really want to be a kid… That being said- I do think that there is a heavy emphasis on toddlers/preschoolers with less of an emphasis on elementary aged children. I have noticed it as a parent that took a 3 yo and a 7 month old for their first trip… now they are 8 and 6. We have been 6 years in a row, and I have noticed a definite difference in the amount of attention required from them as we go through the park. I have never felt ignored, but as the kids have gotten older, my kids garner less attention. Trust me, that is ok… That means the kids are able to go with the flow…

I do notice that those precious, cute, and adorable little princesses in their costumes get a lot of attention. My very tall for her age 8 year old does not. That is ok-just I don’t want her to grow up… The one exception to this was when my daughter went to see the stepsisters (cinderella) and she happened to have a Cinderella sweatshirt on. They were very nice to her, talking to her, etc-until they saw her sweatshirt. Then, they turned on a dime-it was hysterical…They were saying things like," we liked you until we saw THAT shirt". It was really funny.

I just wish that there were more moments like that!

I think I mentioned it before that we are or I am the seniorest (my Word) of this forum. I just talked to my dh about this and we both agree that we feel right at home at the world. We’ve had many conversations with the cm’s and know they’ve enjoyed talking with us. I’ve even gotten a hug or two.:cool: Like you, we’re young at heart and don’t feel our age at all so we just go with the flow. We go on all the rides, except my dh won’t go on TOT and RNRC. I’ve been on both and love them. I know we get tired faster now, but that’s really not a problem. We just sit and people watch for awhile. We did miss our trips with the families for the first year or two, but now enjoy it being only the two of us. We did consider that this might be our last year. NOT!!! We just booked our 2009 trip.:wub: We fell in love with WDW on our first trip in 1995 and have never looked back. Age is only a number, forget about it!!:laugh:

WDW is definitely not just for the Young. I think I enjoy it as much if not more then my kids

My DH and I went 3 times before we had our son and I didn’t feel like we were treated any differently. We did character meals, waited in line to see the characters. and interacted with the CMs just as much and didn’t feel like we were out of place.

I love it!!! It’s now my new philosophy in life. :wub::happy:

Walt Disney World is for the Kid at heart, and those who believe.

It’s a magical world where you can get away for everyday life and stress. You can believe that all is perfect.

I think it’s all in what you want from DW. If you have an attitude that it’s childish and for children only, then that is not the place for you to vacation. I went in November with DH - we are both in our 50’s - and loved it. I am so looking forward to going in September, just to take our own pace and enjoy the magic

Absolutely not! It’s for everyone young at heart and thought!

I’m 40 and Cubby is 49, and we’ve always enjoyed it…

You see tons of couples there and even large parites of adults going around the world together and having such a good time! I don’t think Disney is age-ist at all, your only as old (or as young!) as you feel!

I have to agree, my DW’s 1st time started with our Honeymoon, then took my sister-in-law who was 18 at the time the next year, and then went with my parents before bringing my DD6@the time in ‘06. We all did character meet and greets, character meals, etc. as well and as adults we loved every minute of it. I know it will be a long time before we go back to WDW w/o the kids, but we know for sure that we will eventually go just the two of us again.

[QUOTE=hanwill;863572] I do notice that those precious, cute, and adorable little princesses in their costumes get a lot of attention. My very tall for her age 8 year old does not. That is ok-just I don’t want her to grow up… The one exception to this was when my daughter went to see the stepsisters (cinderella) and she happened to have a Cinderella sweatshirt on. They were very nice to her, talking to her, etc-until they saw her sweatshirt. Then, they turned on a dime-it was hysterical…They were saying things like," we liked you until we saw THAT shirt". It was really funny.

I just wish that there were more moments like that![/QUOTE]

My DD6@the time wore an Aurora costume and my favorite Disney moment was when we were walking on Main Street going through the stores and the CMs asked my daughter for her autograph. So yeah, I guess they do get a lot of attention, but you can’t pass up moments like that.

I have never felt that WDW didn’t cater to me and help me have a magical vacation due to age. In fact, I hear of people without children having just as must magic as those with children. the older people are the ones with the money…

I went back in 2002 with my then husband to celebrate our 10th anniversary. We went shopping in DTD and a CM asked if we were celebrating anything special. When we mentioned the 10th anniversary she took out a really nice certificate and filled it out for us. I didn’t feel overlooked at all. I think that they will pay special attention to children but I have seen them point out adults as well.

We have no kids in my family yet, so its always adults only. And we love it!
I’ve never felt ignored or anything.