It's Official - Jim Lewis is Toast

Let’s hope his replacement is better…Jim’s continued membership “enhancements” were only to DVD’s bottom line and NOT to membership.

[I]Global Sales Leader Claire Bilby Named to Top Disney Vacation Club Role

Disney Vacation Club is pleased to welcome seasoned Disney leader Claire Bilby as its new Senior Vice President, with responsibility for all aspects of the business.

Claire succeeds Jim Lewis, who left the company after serving as its president since 2006.

Claire has a distinguished history with Disney, starting in marketing at Walt Disney World Resort in 1988 and taking increasing levels of executive responsibility with the company in Florida, California and around the globe.

She recently served as Senior Vice President of Distribution Marketing and Asia Pacific Sales for Walt Disney Parks and Resorts. Among her responsibilities were leading all sales channel marketing for Walt Disney World Resort, Disneyland Resort, Disney Cruise Line, Walt Disney Travel Company, Adventures by Disney and Disney Institute. She also served as the top sales leader for Disney Destinations’ Asia Pacific Region, with responsibilities for Hong Kong Disneyland, Disney’s regional sales office in Tokyo and sales offices in Australia and China. Most recently, Claire led the sales organization at Disneyland Resort Paris on a temporary assignment.

“Claire brings to Disney Vacation Club an impressive track record in global sales, as well as an inspirational leadership style and innovative thinking,” said Karl L. Holz, President of New Vacation Operations and Disney Cruise Line, and whose responsibilities include Disney Vacation Club.

Claire’s many accomplishments include helping to launch several Disney theme parks and serving as a key leader in the milestone 50th anniversary celebration for Disneyland Resort.[/I]

So what happened to Jimbo?

They caught him in a pink Tutu in the new pool at SSR. :laugh:

I’d LIKE to think that it was the combined displeasure and complaints of the members at the “membership enhancements” but I know better.

From what I read, there are some REAL serious financial issues with member dues at the new HI resort. The member fees are almost as low as BLT, and considering the cost of living in HI, I find that hard to believe. Now, DVD has halted sales pending revision of condo docs and it looks like DVD will be SUBSIDIZING dues for members who have purchased already to offset the difference in the annual dues.

When six pack of Bud is $9 in the grocery store, there is NO way member dues can be low. That and the 13 hour trip to get out there is why I have no interest in owning there. Why just imagine what THIS would cost… :whistling I mean what the BEER would cost! :angel:

[QUOTE=rlcarmichael;1087219]They caught him in a pink Tutu in the new pool at SSR. :laugh:

I’d LIKE to think that it was the combined displeasure and complaints of the members at the “membership enhancements” but I know better.

From what I read, there are some REAL serious financial issues with member dues at the new HI resort. The member fees are almost as low as BLT, and considering the cost of living in HI, I find that hard to believe. Now, DVD has halted sales pending revision of condo docs and it looks like DVD will be SUBSIDIZING dues for members who have purchased already to offset the difference in the annual dues.

When six pack of Bud is $9 in the grocery store, there is NO way member dues can be low. That and the 13 hour trip to get out there is why I have no interest in owning there. Why just imagine what THIS would cost… :whistling I mean what the BEER would cost! :angel:[/QUOTE]

WOW … look at the mugs on that lady !!!

The “enhancements” that came about since we have been a member did not really affect DW and I. We bought resale but we are grandfathered in. I do agree that the shenanigans that you mentioned with Aulani were probably his downfall. Unless that is being used as the reason and maybe he did something behind the scenes that was so egregious that he was shown the door.

But I do hope that the person who replaced him will do a better job of pretending to listen and care about member concerns and maybe even act on them in our interest!

[QUOTE=KingOMiami;1088173]…maybe he did something behind the scenes that was so egregious that he was shown the door.

But I do hope that the person who replaced him will do a better job of pretending to listen and care about member concerns and maybe even act on them in our interest![/QUOTE]

You know he DOES look alot like Boss? Is it POSSIBLE that we’ve been WRONGLY accusing Boss of the infamous fountain streaking incident?!?! Nah!

DVD has profit interest that are not always in alignment with DVCs. Obviously, there is a lot of overlap and mutiple hat wearing that has gone on.

I’m STILL waiting on the member enhancements that I was told were coming when I complained about the way DVC established a 2nd class membership, and in the process made our ability to sell harder.

From my sources in the disney empire,he was not the favorite of many dvc workers also,so heres hoping the members concerns and interest will be protected and watched over

Not to turn it into the monster thread on MO, I never thought much about the buying in to be able to sell it later. Not really sure that falls into fiduciary responsibility for DVC/DVD to make sure that the members can sell it back at a good price if we decide to want/need to sell.

Who knows though, perhaps the new grand poobah will do something to make it worthwhile for you

No it really isn’t, and I tell people, do not buy ANY timeshare as an investment. It will loose value, the question is how soon. There are LOTS fo them you can buy for pennies on the dollar.

But one of the good features was how well DVC retained it’s value in comparison. And the silly thing in my mind (I’ve only got 35 years in real estate, what do >>>I<<< know?) is that by making the resales cheaper, aren’t they actually doing just the opposite of what they want to do, namely drive buyers to developer sales instead of resales?

The greater the spread, the more attractive the resale market is. I always justified it because the spread was really small when you took closing cost and sales concessions into consideration.

[QUOTE=rlcarmichael;1088323]No it really isn’t, and I tell people, do not buy ANY timeshare as an investment. It will loose value, the question is how soon. There are LOTS fo them you can buy for pennies on the dollar.

But one of the good features was how well DVC retained it’s value in comparison. And the silly thing in my mind (I’ve only got 35 years in real estate, what do >>>I<<< know?) is that by making the resales cheaper, aren’t they actually doing just the opposite of what they want to do, namely drive buyers to developer sales instead of resales?

The greater the spread, the more attractive the resale market is. I always justified it because the spread was really small when you took closing cost and sales concessions into consideration.[/QUOTE]

Your thinking again and trying to apply common sense in this crazy market we both work in.

saw a stst yesterday,don’t know if it willmake you feelbetter or not,that our percentage dropof home values has superceded the great depression,it took 19 years to regain what they lost …ours is still exasperated by unemployment and flat or downward pressure on salary and benefits…until that changes,we are stuck…friends of ours who have a great home ,in a great location,are being forced by the banks to accept less for their home despite a bidding war for it,why the banks,they have a buyer,with 2 contingent buyers in the wings,unless they find a buyer with all cash they have to accept less,because of the banks comping it low…so how do you get out of this banks need to relax the requirements,and we know at this point in time that seems like a big wish

Going by one of Murphy’s Laws, I have practically zero knowledge/experience in real estate so that means I know more than you do :blink::laugh:

I know what you mean and we kind of talked about it when we met so long ago. We bought knowing that we want to experience the Disney magic be it at the parks resorts or one of the non-park resorts for a good portion of our lives. I cannot think of any reason I would want to sell unless it was out of financial necessity.