I've Only Got One Day

Well, we’ve decided that we can only make it to DL for one day during our Palm Springs vacation. We’ve got a lot of wedding stuff obligations, so that’s sadly all we can spare. We’ve decided to do the California Adventure park because we’ve never seen it - but will we - remember we are pros - still manage to get in some of the MK? We plan to be there at opening and stay till the last second.

Tell me all about California Adventure please.

Also - I want to have one special meal - suggestions please! I still remember the magic of the Blue Bayou, but what is this “Rose” restaurant of which they speak?

sorry so late but CA has WOC ,soarin,toy story mania,i don’t knowif they are doing the alladin show today,screamin is a cool ride…but it also is in the middle of construction…cars land etc…enjoy …if you like water rides try grizzily mountain…haven’t eaten there but in CA adventures hotel there are a couple of nice restaurants

I am FAR from a DL expert, but I would say that you can definitely squeeze in some MK time. Cal Adventure didn’t take us too much time (we skipped the scarier rides/things that are also in Florida).

This is a tough time for DCA… lots and lots of construction walls! All of the really cool stuff that is really going to set DCA apart and make it a really cool destination in and of itself won’t start opening until the summer.

It may be Spring Break and a different story, but a lot of times DL opens at 8am, but DCA doesn’t open until 10. That’ll buy you a couple of hours.

For DCA, the completely original stuff is going to be the World of Color show, Ariel’s Undersea Adventure, California Screamin’, and A Bug’s Land, and a few minor rides that probably aren’t worth the time. For Bug’s Land, you’ll want to walk through, but probably won’t bother with any rides.

I’d think you can do what you need to do and still have DL time. :happy:

[QUOTE=Andrea;1101894]This is a tough time for DCA… lots and lots of construction walls! All of the really cool stuff that is really going to set DCA apart and make it a really cool destination in and of itself won’t start opening until the summer.

It may be Spring Break and a different story, but a lot of times DL opens at 8am, but DCA doesn’t open until 10. That’ll buy you a couple of hours.

For DCA, the completely original stuff is going to be the World of Color show, Ariel’s Undersea Adventure, California Screamin’, and A Bug’s Land, and a few minor rides that probably aren’t worth the time. For Bug’s Land, you’ll want to walk through, but probably won’t bother with any rides.

I’d think you can do what you need to do and still have DL time. :happy:[/QUOTE]

This is good - I do want to see the stuff that’s different from WDW - but I have such nostalgia about the MK - I really don’t want to have to miss it. Is Blue Bayou still a nice place to eat. I’ve been looking at the menus for the restaurants. If the MK opens first, then I think we’d do that in the morning, and CA in the afternoon. What would be a good counterservice. Is the Downtown area sort of in between the parks? Is eating there feasible?

Blue Bayou is gorgeous to sit in, food is…fine… and seriously overpriced even in comparison to Disney food in general. I like to recommend it for an afternoon break, just sit and have a dessert and relax… but that’s probably not for this trip.

Downtown Disney is between the the parks and sort of off to the side. Eating there is totally feasible.

Within DL, I recommend the Pommes Frites at Cafe Orleans (not a CS) and the bacon-wrapped asparagus at the Bengal BBQ (but that’s only barely a CS- hardly any place to sit, it’s more of a snack). Pep recommends the loaded potato soup at Carnation Cafe (but that may be closed for remodelling… actually, I’m pretty sure it will be). At DTD, I know Exp626 likes Ralph Brennan’s Jazz Kitchen (they have a Jazz Kitchen Express that’s a CS). Do NOT eat at Tortilla Jo’s unless all you want is a bowl of guacamole as big as your head (and if you do, I won’t judge- it’s DELICIOUS… but really the only good thing on the menu aside from the drinks).

Hmm… CS CS CS… It’s not exciting or different, but we always feel like we get good quality food at Taste Pilots Grill (in DCA next to Soarin’). I hear a lot of mediocre review of most of DCA’s offerings. Honestly, Cafe Orleans at DL is nearly as fast as a CS and I’m always happy with it.

The Plaza Inn is a CS Buffet-type thing… and you will DEFINITELY only need to buy one meal between you if you choose that. Huge portions.

Earl of Sandwich isn’t opening in DTD until JUNE! (Always a perfect choice, of course!).

I feel like I’m rambling… did I actually answer any questions?

[QUOTE=Andrea;1101905]Blue Bayou is gorgeous to sit in, food is…fine… and seriously overpriced even in comparison to Disney food in general. I like to recommend it for an afternoon break, just sit and have a dessert and relax… but that’s probably not for this trip.

Downtown Disney is between the the parks and sort of off to the side. Eating there is totally feasible.

Within DL, I recommend the Pommes Frites at Cafe Orleans (not a CS) and the bacon-wrapped asparagus at the Bengal BBQ (but that’s only barely a CS- hardly any place to sit, it’s more of a snack). Pep recommends the loaded potato soup at Carnation Cafe (but that may be closed for remodelling… actually, I’m pretty sure it will be). At DTD, I know Exp626 likes Ralph Brennan’s Jazz Kitchen (they have a Jazz Kitchen Express that’s a CS). Do NOT eat at Tortilla Jo’s unless all you want is a bowl of guacamole as big as your head (and if you do, I won’t judge- it’s DELICIOUS… but really the only good thing on the menu aside from the drinks).

Hmm… CS CS CS… It’s not exciting or different, but we always feel like we get good quality food at Taste Pilots Grill (in DCA next to Soarin’). I hear a lot of mediocre review of most of DCA’s offerings. Honestly, Cafe Orleans at DL is nearly as fast as a CS and I’m always happy with it.

The Plaza Inn is a CS Buffet-type thing… and you will DEFINITELY only need to buy one meal between you if you choose that. Huge portions.

Earl of Sandwich isn’t opening in DTD until JUNE! (Always a perfect choice, of course!).

I feel like I’m rambling… did I actually answer any questions?[/QUOTE]

No, no, no - you are not rambling - I’m such a rookie about DL - I’m pretty sure dh won’t be thrilled about Blue Bayou - mainly because I know I’m going to have a time convincing him to “waste time” at sit-down dinners. I read the Cafe Orleans menu and am intrigued. Would it be good for dinner - do they serve the frites for dinner also? I am not a fan of guacamole, so no worries there - too bad about EoS, but I’m sure we’ll figure something out. Maybe Taste Pilot for lunch and Cafe Orleans for dinner? I see that the Brennan’s Jazz Express would make dh and dd2 very happy - but would that be too much “New Orleans”? Decisions, decisions. I do see crepes on the menu at the Cafe Orleans. Have you tried those? Are they good?

So - you can walk (or there is transportation) between the parks? (I sound like those people who ask if you can walk to Epcot from the MK.)

Yes, you can walk from DL to DCA. Actually… that’s pretty much the only way to get from one to the other!

DH had the crepes several years ago, but he’ll give a thumbs up to anything with seafood, so I don’t know how discriminating his good review is! :laugh: I usually split a salad with my mom- the one with salmon. After the Frites, it’s more than enough food.

A lot of people rave about the Monte Cristo sandwich… but I just can’t pull the trigger on a sandwich that’s battered and fried. Not sure what that’s about, since I’d have no problem saying “yes, please!” to something like a double chocolate cheesecake with lots of whipped cream, and that’s got to be nearly as bad for you.

Pommes frites are always available.

I wouldn’t think that Cafe Orleans & the Jazz Kitchen express would be too much Orleans at all. They’re really different examples of food.

At Taste Pilots, my son LOVES the ribs… but like my husband and seafood… they’re ribs, he’s over the moon, I don’t know if they’re actually good or not. I really like their onion rings- they’re done well- and I usually get a salad with it (sensing a theme here?).

Also: poop. I really want to go to Disneyland… like, right now.

We’re currently negotiating a trip this summer… but it might be in July, and that’s going to be much more crowded than mid-June…

I read about this sandwich years ago and it has absolutely bewildered me ever since. Because apparently - not only is it battered and fried - then they put powdered sugar all over it. What’s that all about? First it’s ham and then it’s eggs and then it’s sugar? My dh would eat it if I let him, but I won’t let him.
I’m the same - it just seems so wrong and unhealthy - but, heck, pass the cheesecake please! And make sure that whipped cream is the real stuff - not that edible oil goop.

Thanks for all the info - and keep it coming!

[QUOTE=llama;1101922]I read about this sandwich years ago and it has absolutely bewildered me ever since. Because apparently - not only is it battered and fried - then they put powdered sugar all over it. What’s that all about? First it’s ham and then it’s eggs and then it’s sugar? My dh would eat it if I let him, but I won’t let him.
I’m the same - it just seems so wrong and unhealthy - but, heck, pass the cheesecake please! And make sure that whipped cream is the real stuff - not that edible oil goop.

Thanks for all the info - and keep it coming![/QUOTE]

AND… it also comes with a jam dip!

I had part of one YEARS ago… my Grad night, I think… and I don’t remember loving it, but I wasn’t grossed out, either.

And I am so with you about the whipped cream.

That is a great idea to have desert at BB instead of dinner. Nothing on the menu looked overwhelming. :slight_smile:

I however also LOVE a good chocolate on chocolate anything!!!

Hey, llama llama…

This link (scroll down a bit past the Knott’s stuff)

Some DCA pics

will show you what you’re getting into, construction-wise, at DCA for the next few months.

[QUOTE=llama;1101882]Well, we’ve decided that we can only make it to DL for one day during our Palm Springs vacation. We’ve got a lot of wedding stuff obligations, so that’s sadly all we can spare. We’ve decided to do the California Adventure park because we’ve never seen it - but will we - remember we are pros - still manage to get in some of the MK? We plan to be there at opening and stay till the last second.

Tell me all about California Adventure please.

Also - I want to have one special meal - suggestions please! I still remember the magic of the Blue Bayou, but what is this “Rose” restaurant of which they speak?[/QUOTE]

Okay, despite having only ONE day to enjoy, I would have to recommend the advice Voldemort always gives. LIFE IS SHORT. QUALITY MATTERS. So, since Andrea has provided everything possible about snack options, you should SERIOUSLY CONSIDER a nice meal at NAPA ROSE. I’m not sure what your plans are, but I don’t think you can enjoy a nice meal and then get on the road to drive back. I would suggest staying overnight and getting up early to make the trip back. Either way, Napa Rose is the closest thing we have to Victoria and Albert, and I have NEVER been disappointed with either the food or service. Even when Voldemort, my heir apparent and I just went for soup / appetizer. I would strongly encourage you to try the pairings, where you have a four course meal and a glass of wine with each. It will make the entire trip worthwhile. I guarantee it! :pirate:

If we had more time, I would definitely plan for a meal at Napa Rose, but there is no way we can stay overnight - my niece would be freaking and a bride doesn’t need more stress on her wedding day. I would love to try it, but I’m afraid I would be only one vote out of four. So, regretfully, I’ll have to save it for another time.

My words of wisdom: if you’re going to check out Jazz Kitchen, stop by early and make a quick table ressie (either for lunch or for dinner, depending on which menu appeals most and suits your schedule). DO NOT GO TO THE EXPRESS! I’ve had both, and believe me, you’d never know it was (allegedly) the same kitchen cooking. The quality of the food I’ve gotten at the Express has never been up to the standard of what they serve at the “regular” venue. I’ve had fine results at both lunch and dinner; at lunch, the filet-based cheeseburger is excellent (seriously, the best you’ll find), and the muffaletta and po’boys are quite tasty (although not 100% authentic, as Peppy and R2 can attest). Sadly, my favorite dinner item got bumped, but there are still several good options available. Get a table on the patio and enjoy.

DTD is getting an EoS!!! My day – MADE.

[QUOTE=Voldemort;1102103]

DTD is getting an EoS!!! My day – MADE.[/QUOTE]

I KNOW!!! :laugh:

So excited. We always want some grab & go food for our looooong drive after DL… never been excited about the options. Until now. :happy:

It’s going in the Compass Books location. Since I realized I have never actually gone into that bookstore (I always come prepared with plenty to read!), I’m not bothered by losing it.

I <3 Palm Springs so much! Where ya stayin’? Have you been there before? Where’s the wedding? If you have any spare time in Palm Springs we once did this AMAZING evening tour into the Mojavi desert and got to scorpion hunt with black lights, it was insane! Gotta do the aerial tram too.

We’re staying at the Marriott Desert Springs, and no, I’ve never been before and am very excited about it. The wedding is at the Viceroy Hotel - which is a little boutique hotel from what I understand. All I know is that we couldn’t afford it!:laugh: Thank goodness for Interval Exchanges. The Marriotts never disappoint us. The Mojavi Desert Tour sounds amazing! Thanks for letting me know about that! I’m going to look that up. Any good restaurants you can recommend? We have a week there, but Sat. and Sun will be mainly the wedding, but I still have time to fill in. We arrive Thursday morning and plan to do the tram that day. Friday we’ll head to DL.