Jiko!?

As some of you have read from previous posts, we’re headed to DW in Sept and we’re staying at AKL. We’re thinking about going to Jiko. My wife is more culinarily adventuresome than I so I am reviewing the menu. So far I have had to look up almost every thing on the menu:laugh: Harissa? Preserved lemons? Naan?

For an entree I’ll eat chicken, beef or fish. Pork, not so much. I like spicy foods but it’s not a requirement. I like medium rare beef, grilled/blackened or charred foods. I also like cheeses. I am not a big fan of veggies but I find myself eating them when I go to DW:confused: Can I get away with a coke or iced tea w/dinner? I don’t drink.

Does anybody have any suggestions or favorites they can share? From app top entree. The desserts aren’t doing it for me.

And what is a Zebra cake?

Also. How long does an average meal take?

I can’t help much as I’ve never been there, but would Naan be Naan bread? which is lovely and usually served with curry or Balti foods? If you do go you’ll have to tell us what you think- sounds very interesting anyway.

Although I have stayed at AKL many times, I have never had the pleasure of eating at Jiko (dh loves Boma so much, he doesn’t want to go elsewhere!). But, a friend of mine has a requirement that he must go to Jiko every trip. Why…he says they have the best maccaroni and cheese you will ever have in your life. You mentioned you like cheeses. Well, maybe there’s a fit for you.

I have been to Jiko and it was good. I also like Boma. Have you looked at the Artist Point menu? It is also very good and not quite as adventurous.

I’m not a fan of macaroni and cheese but I seen where they paired it with Filet Mignon for $41. So either it’s a real good steak or it’s reeeaalll good mac n’ cheese.:laugh:

[QUOTE=disney1;1041287]As some of you have read from previous posts, we’re headed to DW in Sept and we’re staying at AKL. We’re thinking about going to Jiko. My wife is more culinarily adventuresome than I so I am reviewing the menu. So far I have had to look up almost every thing on the menu:laugh: Harissa? Preserved lemons? Naan?

For an entree I’ll eat chicken, beef or fish. Pork, not so much. I like spicy foods but it’s not a requirement. I like medium rare beef, grilled/blackened or charred foods. I also like cheeses. I am not a big fan of veggies but I find myself eating them when I go to DW:confused: Can I get away with a coke or iced tea w/dinner? I don’t drink.

Does anybody have any suggestions or favorites they can share? From app top entree. The desserts aren’t doing it for me.

And what is a Zebra cake?

Also. How long does an average meal take?[/QUOTE]

Zebra Domes, not zebra cake. It’s a liquor infused cake with a chocolate mousse filling covered with a white icing with zebra stripes.

Of course you can get Coke and iced tea to drink. Did you really think they’d have a kid’s menu and not have soft drinks? There’s plenty of adults that don’t drink too.:pinch:

The short rib is good as is the filet mignon. You could also consider the chicken or the lamb loin. If you need them to tone something down spicewise, they will. The tuna looks like it should be good too.

I think I had the mussels for an appetizer, but every one of the “appetizer” portions of mussels I’ve ever had in WDW has been close to a meal by itself.
If you like cheeses, the cheese plates are always a good choice.

Dessert, how can you say no to a pistachio creme brulee or coffee ice cream and spiced donuts (spiced could just mean a heavy dose of cinnamon and all spice)? Lemon - white chocolate mousse sounds good too.

I just ate at Jiko on my recent trip and it was FABULOUS. The filet with the mac and cheese and the red wine sauce was to die for. We all thought it was one of the greatest things we ate the entire time. (We had been told to go for the filet by some friends of ours and we were glad we did).

The setting is beautiful. The lighting in the room reenacts the sunset so pay close attention to it! (: We didn’t realize this until after we got home when we were researching why we were seated in such an intimate part of the restaurant.

Naan is a middle-eastern type bread that’s absolutely fabulous. The mussels are also incredibly delicious. I know it is adventurous eating but it was such an incredible meal, I’d go back in a heartbeat.

[QUOTE=Soundgod;1041607]Zebra Domes, not zebra cake. It’s a liquor infused cake with a chocolate mousse filling covered with a white icing with zebra stripes.

Of course you can get Coke and iced tea to drink. Did you really think they’d have a kid’s menu and not have soft drinks? There’s plenty of adults that don’t drink too.:pinch:
[/QUOTE]

Zebra Domes sound quite yummy.

The Coke/Tea question was asked only to see if it’s ‘acceptable’. Akin to asking for a big bottle of ketchup.:laugh:

On a side note. My wife and I ate a gourmet/white glove seven course meal at one of her favorite B&B’s. I’m sorry. But the raw antelope (yes. Raw antelope) and cheese pudding and I can’t remember what else was just too over the top for me. I prefer exquisitely prepared known foods. Although breads/cheeses and what not are OK. Just don’t go all ‘left field’ on me with the menu.:laugh:

The crux of Jiko’s menu sounds fabulous. It’s just the Naans & Harissa elements I was unsure about.

[QUOTE=disney1;1041621]
The Coke/Tea question was asked only to see if it’s ‘acceptable’. :laugh:[/QUOTE]
I wouldn’t care if anything is or isn’t acceptable.
If I want a bottomless glass of fresh brewed iced tea, that’s what I’m going to have.
And Lord help you if that tea has turned and tastes skunky!
I will send it back. If you bring me a second skunky glass from a “different” tank, I tell you to bring me hot water, a tea bag and a big glass of ice and I’ll make it myself at the table.
I am not joking. I have done this plenty of times and have even had to do so at one or three Disney restaurants.
Of course, at the same time they’re bringing me what I asked for, about 15 minutes later, they will come out with a fresh glass from a fresh batch that they just made in the tank that they just washed out.
Why? Because most guests don’t know good tea from bad tea and will simply accept almost anything.

The funny part about that is, when they bring out the fresh glass, I am almost like a wine connoisseur judging by color, clarity (transparent or opaque), smell, and then taste. If on first sight, I see that I can not see through the tea, I already know it’s bad.

I take some of this back. If the first glass of tea hits the table and I see it’s cloudy, I don’t say anything immediately, but I will warn my wife it might be bad. Then I taste it. I’d say that 98 times out of 100, I’m right and it’s bad tea and back it goes.

is this place on the same order as the tusker house in flavors. we ate there last year and didn’t like it at all. i do not like curry at all and everything tasted of curry.

The BBQ chicken flatbread (pizza) was incredible. We ordered it a 2nd time as takeout because we couldn’t get enough. We begged for the recipe without success. I’m thinking about heading over right now… it’s that good! We dropped the kids at club simba (the highlight of their trip) and thouroughly enjoyed a romantic dinner for two. Enjoy!