Joel Osteen hires Disney

I was watching Oprah’s Next Chapter tonight and she interviewed Joel Osteen. She mentioned how he hired ex-Disney Imagineers to design his kids area for his church.

Found it interesting that reached out to the best to create the best for his church.

Not trying to start a church/religion discussion here, just thought it was an interesting tidbit of information.

Who is Joel Veronica? Not heard of him our side

He’s a minister with a mega church. He’s quite positive and inspirational, which makes him popular. I believe his new church (formerly the Compaq Center, a sports arena) holds about 45,000 people for each service. It’s located in Texas.

At our church our children’s program is called Kingdom Keepers. The Staff were blue t-shirts with a big castle silhouette on them. I see them walking around and catch myself thinking why people are wearing Disney t-shirts to church :laugh:

There are some companies that have real helped shape our world for the better. Disney is one of them. Walt’s push for quality really raised the bar for everyone. When you look at how things were before DL/WDW or Disney animation/story telling and were we are now I think we are worlds apart and we as consumers expect more quality, be it in craftsmanship or just design. Another one of those companies is Apple…I can’t imagine how awful computing would be if we didn’t have Jobs pushing design, usability, and quality.

Osteen (and smaller churches like mine) are responding to those cultural expectations.

Tigger, I agree totally! Walt also made family entertainment. and he made it popular, and cool. Thank goodness for that…

Isn’t the controversy with him that he lives a frivolent lifestyle?

I used to go to a megachurch in Upstate SC (it’s actually branched out to GA and Coastal SC, now - Newspring Community Church), and we actually had him as a guest pastor once. He’s a good speaker.

If you can afford the best, why not take advantage of it?

Ah ok thank you:heart:

[QUOTE=LittleMissMagic;1099089]Isn’t the controversy with him that he lives a frivolent lifestyle?

I used to go to a megachurch in Upstate SC (it’s actually branched out to GA and Coastal SC, now - Newspring Community Church), and we actually had him as a guest pastor once. He’s a good speaker.[/QUOTE]

The controversy with the Olseen’s is that they teach a version of the prosperity gospel. And yeah they do have a pretty opulent lifestyle (he doesn’t take a salary from the church and lives off the sales of his books and speeches, he is also is up front about tithing trying to lead by example) but he earns the money and does a lot of good things.

I agree that he is a good speaker and inspirational. He isn’t my cup of tea as I like to be challenged in my faith.

I think it’s because he’s a pastor and people believe he’s profitting from the church-goer’s offerings. Give to Jesus = give to me? I think many people believe that a pastor should maintain a humble lifestyle, since the Bible is against greed. Then again, the Bible is against many things that today’s society, including the church-going population, are guilty of.

Not necessarily my beliefs, just explaining why there is controversy about him. I don’t intend to start a Biblical debate.

45,000 people!!!:ohmy: My gosh! I don’t think I could really feel a “part” of any church with 45,000, but to each his own I guess…

You know, after reading your response, I went and checked my source where I got the info, because that is very large. I need to correct a little. It states 45,000 per week. In reading further, the church actually has 16,800 seats. So, sorry, I didn’t read far enough in to get my numbers correct.

That’s still a heck of a lot of people!:laugh:

They have like 3 or 4 services a weekend.

You can come to my Church we are small with just under 4000 a weekend.

(We have lots of small groups to get involved in as well as community outreach and missions. Lots of places for you to plug in and feel apart of the church.)

The church I frequently attend in Granger, IN, Granger community Church is a mega-church with around 15,000 on a typical weekend. They are very big on entertainment and very kid-friendly too. In fact the children slide down slides from the main floor down to their classrooms which are themed very elaborately. The church shows videos, does a lot of skits, plays. laser shows, fireworks and have even had parades with stilt walkers involved. I know some are turned off by these type of things but I feel whatever it takes(within reason) to get them in the door is fine.

Wow and I’m still doing crafts with paper bags, popsicle sticks and glue. If I’m really daring, we use glitter. :laugh:

:blink::blink: No offense, but the “Santa” scene from A Christmas Story just popped into my mind…

:laugh::laugh::laugh: Now its popped into mine too!!!