Johnny Depp Donates $2M to Children's Hospital

Talk about generous… Johnny Depp paid a secret visit to London’s Great Ormond Street Children’s hospital on Sunday - and donated $2 million of his own money to thank staff for saving his young daughter’s life.

The ‘Sweeney Todd’ star, 44, arrived unexpectedly at the hospital, where his eight-year-old daughter Lily-Rose was treated last year when her kidneys failed.

Last week, the generous actor - who has two children with his partner Vanessa Paradis, invited five Great Ormond Street doctors and nurses to the party for the London premiere of his film Sweeney Todd.

And in November, unknown to the public, Depp spent four hours at the hospital telling bedtime stories to patients dressed as Captain Jack Sparrow after having his Pirates Of The Caribbean costume flown over from LA.

In March last year, Lily-Rose, Johnny’s oldest child, spent nine days at Great Ormond Street after E.coli poisoning led to the failure of her kidneys.

Lily is believed to have contracted the bug while staying with Johnny and Vanessa in a rented mansion in Richmond, Surrey, while he filmed Sweeney Todd.

Filming at the Pinewood stuidos in Buckinghamshire had to be put on hold as her condition worsened so much it was feared she might not live.

Depp, who was yesterday named best actor in a musical at the Golden Globes for his role in Sweeney Todd, later said of the scare: “It was the most frightening thing we have ever been through. It was ****.

“But the magic is that she pulled through beautifully. Great Ormond Street was terrific, a great hospital.”

Disney, which made the Pirates Of The Caribbean films, are also set to donate $20 million to Great Ormond Street, which needs to raise $350 million in five years to redevelop two-thirds of the hospital site.

The hospital, which treats more than 90,000 patients each year - children who are suffering from the rarest, most complex and often life-threatening conditions, aim to raise $100 million each year to fund:

The ongoing rebuilding and refurbishment of the hospital and the Institute of Child Health;

Purchasing the most up-to-date equipment;

Research and development into new and better treatments;

Accommodation and other support services for families and staff.

For those wishing to donate, like Johnny - you can do so on their website - it really it is a very worthy cause.

How awesome…Johnny seems like a really cool guy. :happy:

I like a guy who knows how to “give back”. We need more people like that in this world.

He is a great guy!

Wow that is a really great story.

Amazing story! Beyond the money, I think it was great that he dressed up as Capt. Jack to read stories for the kids. Most celebs are really good at writing checks but it’s really special that he not only took time to read to the kids but also to have the costume sent over so he could dress in character. The more I read the more respect and admiration I have for Johnny Depp. Awesome guy!

Wow, it is so nice to see people give back.

Johnny Depp is one of those amazing individuals - hugely talented, yet with his head screwed on straight, who knows his priorities. Of course the donation was wonderful - but how cool would it be to have Captain Jack read you a bedtime story!

To the kids, more than the world. That was awesome!!!

I knew Johnny had donated the money but I didnt know Disney where making a donation, I love to see things like this happen, I wish more celebs etc could put their money to such good use.