Just Booked a Beverage Seminar... having buyer's regret!

Hey, guys.

I just booked a Beverage Seminar for our October trip, and now I’m having serious buyer’s regret… especially since I looked it up and realized I can’t cancel (which the CM didn’t tell me on the phone!).

I was trying to book the Mixology Seminar as a fun 21st Birthday gift for Max… but they were all booked, so the CM suggested the beverage seminar. They had availability for all six of us, so I said, sure! I felt kinda obligated because the CM was super nice… but they’re always supposed to be super nice…

I thought it was going to be a variety of beverages… but it looks like it’s all wine.

Wine??? Isn’t that a little fancy for college kid tastes? And my parents aren’t wine fanatics… WHAT DID I DO??? :eek:

Please tell me they at least give you a good size drink at the end, or I think it might’ve been a waste of $10? It’s probably a Communion-size sampling. :pinch: And there was plenty of availability, which means it isn’t very popular.

Maybe this wasn’t a huge mistake… I mean… when in Rome? … errrr… Epcot Food & Wine?

Go with an open mind. Wine can be amazingly interesting when paired with different food. I don’t drink but have done wine tasting and really enjoyed it from the “this is different” factor.

Before I did the wine tastings a I would have never considered having it…now I know I can enhance the flavor of a special meal with the right type of wine. A nice glass of wine once in a blue moon is a nice treat with a good meal.

Absolutely go - even if it is “just” wine. It will be a new experience. Learning about wine can be fascinating and fun.

I would totally go! You’d be surprised there really is a lot to wine. It’s not just red or white grapes. There are so many different kinds of fruit wines and ways of making wine and types of bottles. You might learn the right way to pour the wine to add to the flavor or the type of glass that will enhance the wine. Or how you need to have temps. just right for so many days to have ice wine. I think it would be so interesting. Enjoy!!

I’m just really bummed that I didn’t get the Mixology Seminar (it was Patron - how awesome is that?) for him and feel like this is a second-rate gift. He would’ve been so excited about mixology… I just can’t see him (or anyone) being pumped about this. :frown:

It will be a neat experience, and this is our first time visiting for Food & Wine, so it’s not like we have anything to compare it to… it’s neat knowledge that will be good to have. I’m just disappointed because I missed out on an opportunity to be a really cool girlfriend and make Max really happy.

Who knows - maybe he’ll love it! I actually don’t think he’s ever tasted wine before.

It is great knowledge for you both. Sooner or later you will be college grads and going to business dinners and being educated on the terms is well worth it. And I’m sure sooner or later you will have a girls night out with a bottle or two.

The samples will be smaller than a traditional small glass of wine. The object is to enjoy the wines and understand why they taste the way they do. One thing to remember, if you are snockered going into the tasting you might not get anything out of it.

What day are you doing the tasting?

I think it sounds like a lot of fun. But Victoria, I see your point, at your age I wasn’t that interested in wine, and now at my age, I wish I were less interested in the consumption of the said grape(s)
Go along, I’m sure you’ll get something out of it.
Tell me what the mixology is? I can’t say I know the term? is it a cocktail type of demonstration/tasting?

[QUOTE=LittleMissMagic;1122727]I’m just really bummed that I didn’t get the Mixology Seminar (it was Patron - how awesome is that?) for him and feel like this is a second-rate gift. He would’ve been so excited about mixology… I just can’t see him (or anyone) being pumped about this. :frown:

It will be a neat experience, and this is our first time visiting for Food & Wine, so it’s not like we have anything to compare it to… it’s neat knowledge that will be good to have. I’m just disappointed because I missed out on an opportunity to be a really cool girlfriend and make Max really happy.

Who knows - maybe he’ll love it! I actually don’t think he’s ever tasted wine before.[/QUOTE]

Um…

Believe it or not, wine is not just “grape juice +” and it goes a long way to increasing knowledge. As Pam&Rich stated, your future is going to include a number of situations that, believe it or not, would benefit from having the knowledge gained from this opportunity.

Embrace your inner Bacchus!

[QUOTE=Experiment6-2-6;1122743]Um…

Believe it or not, wine is not just “grape juice +” and it goes a long way to increasing knowledge. As Pam&Rich stated, your future is going to include a number of situations that, believe it or not, would benefit from having the knowledge gained from this opportunity.

Embrace your inner Bacchus![/QUOTE]

I’m not opposed to it, I’m just worried that it will be a stinky gift for a college-age boy. :mellow:

You know, it’s like… too sophisticated. A 21st Birthday Party calls for a kegger, not a wine tasting!

I just hopes he likes it and doesn’t laugh at me or not seem thrilled by the idea. :blush: Which, he wouldn’t do the middle option… but when you know someone well, you know when they aren’t really happy. And Max is easily excitable, so he’s either jumping up and down, “THAT’S SO AWESOME!” or “Oh, that’s cool.”

It’s mixed drinks. The “science” of mixing things so they taste good… you know, beyond spiking the lemonade. :laugh:

I’m not a wine drinker at all except for a sangria or adding to a sauce in a meal, but i’ve done wine tasting/pairings before and had a good time. If you have a good representitive there’s a lot to learn in a really fun way. Enjoy yourself.
If possible ask if there’s a waiting list for the mixology class in case someone backs out. Those are fun too. If that’s something you really want to do check in your local area for a bartending course. I took one just for fun, learned a lot and have had a great time entertaining guests over the years.

[QUOTE=Pam&Rich;1122736]
The samples will be smaller than a traditional small glass of wine. The object is to enjoy the wines and understand why they taste the way they do. One thing to remember, if you are snockered going into the tasting you might not get anything out of it.

What day are you doing the tasting?[/QUOTE]

It’s at 2:00 on the day of Max and Rachel’s birthday (a Sunday - good thing we’re leaving town, since Clemson doesn’t serve on Sundays! :laugh:), so hopefully no one will be snockered by then. I signed up all six of us to go - I figure Rachel and especially her friend will be most interested, even if they can’t be served.

We’re starting the day in Magic Kingdom, then breakfast at Crystal Palace (Rachel’s request), and we’ll head over to Epcot around noon.

I’m considering the possiblity of doing an IllumiNations fireworks cruise for Max and Rachel - they’d both like that. I’ll have to see if they still have availability, though.

Did it, had fun, would do it again if It wasn’t for the fact that I want to do a Wishes cruise next time $$ allow.

If you go you can bring your own adult beverages onboard. Remember cups to pour into and a bottle opener if there happens to be wine brought along. They provide sodas and snacks.

There are lots of good wines under $10.00 a bottle and knowing how to select the correct wine for dinner is something that will pay dividends later in life. I cannot believe how much the right glass of wine enhances the taste of steak or fish! ! !

Unless you are going to go into the tavern business how often will you really be doing complex mixed drinks?

I avoided red wine up until about 5 years ago and then I went on a business dinner and was treated to a really good bottle of Cabernet. Since then I have been experimenting with many different types.

Unfortunately the diet and new exercise regime does not include much vino.

Enjoy,
-Harry

We did a wine seminar last year at F&W 2011 and had a good time. They give you about 1/4 glass of wine for each type that you taste. We tasted 4. The last one was a heavier pour, and we got almost a full glass. I think at WDW prices, you are getting a good bang for your buck. It was fun, and I think you will all enjoy it.

That being said, I’m not 100% sure you can’t cancel. If you really decide it’s not for your BF, then try calling the CM and see if they will let you cancel.

I was totally bummed that we couldn’t grab a mixology seminar during our trip. They were all sold out by the time we decided on a date that would work. BUMMER! We booked another wine seminar, and I’m looking forward to it.

[QUOTE=Goodegirl2007;1122761]We did a wine seminar last year at F&W 2011 and had a good time. They give you about 1/4 glass of wine for each type that you taste. We tasted 4. The last one was a heavier pour, and we got almost a full glass. I think at WDW prices, you are getting a good bang for your buck. It was fun, and I think you will all enjoy it.

That being said, I’m not 100% sure you can’t cancel. If you really decide it’s not for your BF, then try calling the CM and see if they will let you cancel.

I was totally bummed that we couldn’t grab a mixology seminar during our trip. They were all sold out by the time we decided on a date that would work. BUMMER! We booked another wine seminar, and I’m looking forward to it.[/QUOTE]

Hey, we’ll be F&Wing it at the same time. Enjoy.

Okay, this makes me feel a lot better! :happy: I was so worried we’d be drinking wine out of shot glasses. :laugh:

You too!!! I can not wait…now we just need to make it through one more week…don’t tell Dana, but I haven’t started packing!!:laugh:

I think its a pretty fun thing to do. They will have some water and crackers there to cleanse the palate between the wines, and a little pad for you to write down what you think about the wine. They do a talk about the winery, and the region where/how the wine is made. Our was Italy, and I thought it was pretty interesting. I have to say I got a little buzz by the end… :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=LittleMissMagic;1122749]I’m not opposed to it, I’m just worried that it will be a stinky gift for a college-age boy. :mellow:

You know, it’s like… too sophisticated. A 21st Birthday Party calls for a kegger, not a wine tasting!

I just hopes he likes it and doesn’t laugh at me or not seem thrilled by the idea. :blush: Which, he wouldn’t do the middle option… but when you know someone well, you know when they aren’t really happy. And Max is easily excitable, so he’s either jumping up and down, “THAT’S SO AWESOME!” or “Oh, that’s cool.”[/QUOTE]

Then don’t present it as a gift. Just go and enjoy what they offer and think of something different to give him for his birthday.

Did I read that right, did you write $ 10?