Just got back from OKW

We just got back from our first stay at OKW and other than the size of the rooms and the size of the balcony I was really disappointed. I have never said this about a WDW resort before. We had a 2BR and the room was HUGE and I was impressed by the huge balcony we had with a full size table and 4 chairs instead of the standard 2 chairs and small side table.
I felt the Hospitality House area really needed some work. The foodcourt, if you can call it a food court was dirty and small and offered nothing. The bar area was like a little dirty closet and there was nothing in the store.
I understand that I am a resort snob and I do expect a lot but I thought this was terrible. I also realize that I am used to and like the more modern accommodations so it might be me. I don’t know. My parent’s were with us and they liked it but they have never stayed on property before. DH at first liked it but when I explained why I didn’t he agreed with me.
I also felt that the bathroom in the master bath needed some work and updating. I know this is petty but the cover on the ironing board seemed old and smelly and gross. I didn’t even want to iron my clothes on it.

I did like how the resort was so laid back and quiet and beautiful. It did have it’s good points but I couldn’t get over the Hospitality House area.

Am I the only one that feels this way? I have read so many great reports about OKW.

Oh no, sorry you were disappointed. I have only ever stayed at POR and know nothing about OKW.
I hope the other parts of your trip were more enjoyable. Will you be posting a trip report?

I’m sorry that you didn’t enjoy it there. We’ve always liked it. It is comfortable accomodations for us. I agree it could definitely use some updating.

Yeah, I had mixed reviews about OKW and I fear that when my husband stays there for the first time next week he may feel the same way as you. We stayed there for Girl Trip in August '07. The room was huge compared to other DVC studios which I loved but the rug was definately groty and the TV was so tiny I’m not sure why they even bothered. I did notice the inside fixtures of the bathtub were a little old but in general that was it. When I was there a year ago I didn’t notice anything about the Hospitality House being dirty but I didn’t spend too much time in there. I agree with you on the counter service food area, just doesn’t cut it for such a big resort. Otherwise, it was good, but I am a little bit nervous what my husband is going to think.

I just watched a youtube video of a one bedroom villa.Not a very good video. The rooms looked like I would imagine a place for rent would look at the beach on Key West. I think the run-down look is something they strived for? Setting the scene, so to speak. In the end, it’s all a matter of taste.
I think I’ll stick with my POR/POFQ.

I think on my next trip I will take the ferry boat from DTD to OKW and check it out

Wishy, just ask for one of the updated rooms. I wonder if they have any? Even if he’s not that crazy about it…you’ll still be at Disney. That’s always a plus. Good luck I’m sure it will be fine.

I am a bit nervous about staying there next week because of the mixed reviews. I guess we’ll have to wait and see.

[QUOTE=honeypot;888100]We just got back from our first stay at OKW and other than the size of the rooms and the size of the balcony I was really disappointed. I have never said this about a WDW resort before. We had a 2BR and the room was HUGE and I was impressed by the huge balcony we had with a full size table and 4 chairs instead of the standard 2 chairs and small side table.
I felt the Hospitality House area really needed some work. The foodcourt, if you can call it a food court was dirty and small and offered nothing. The bar area was like a little dirty closet and there was nothing in the store.
I understand that I am a resort snob and I do expect a lot but I thought this was terrible. I also realize that I am used to and like the more modern accommodations so it might be me. I don’t know. My parent’s were with us and they liked it but they have never stayed on property before. DH at first liked it but when I explained why I didn’t he agreed with me.
I also felt that the bathroom in the master bath needed some work and updating. I know this is petty but the cover on the ironing board seemed old and smelly and gross. I didn’t even want to iron my clothes on it.

I did like how the resort was so laid back and quiet and beautiful. It did have it’s good points but I couldn’t get over the Hospitality House area.

Am I the only one that feels this way? I have read so many great reports about OKW.[/QUOTE]
yeah we felt the same way when we went in Sept.08’. We felt is was really in need of a good overhaul in the Hospitality House and a bigger game room. It was a bit run down and did not have that Disney feel to it much. I would stay here again if it was all that was left.

You guys should all write nasty letters demanding they update the place.

And be sure to tell them to have it all completed by 12/13/08.

Thank you
thankyouverymuch

[QUOTE=Boss Mouse;888148]You guys should all write nasty letters demanding they update the place.

And be sure to tell them to have it all completed by 12/13/08.

Thank you
thankyouverymuch[/QUOTE]

Why don’t you write the nasty letters?

OKW is our favourite DVC property - if given no choice I would happily stay there for every vacation. And as my husband says “she use to be a 5 star girl until she found out there were 6 stars.” So I’m pretty fussy.

I certainly have never noticed any dirt. It’s always been spotless. We don’t hang around the Hospitality House too much, but it’s never seemed run-down to me. The only time we go to the community club is to get movies. I guess if you used those facilities a lot it might seem different.

We love the size of the suites - I always feel slightly claustrophobic in the other DVC suites and we love the big balconies. Our taste runs to the casual “Key West” themes - so I can’t fault the decor. The different buildings are being updated one building at a time. We love the quietness and seclusion after a noisy day in the parks.

OKW is the oldest DVC property and it was built with the intention that most people staying would not be using food courts, etc. It is sparse on the fast-food front - but I think most regular OKW guests are use to that and don’t expect to eat counterservice there. I think we’ve only tried Good’s Food to Go once - so I can’t really comment on the food. Olivia’s serves wonderful food - homestyle in a casual atmosphere.

I’m sorry you didn’t enjoy your stay - everyone’s expectations are different, but when we’re welcomed home at OKW we really feel like we ARE home.

[QUOTE=llama;888159]OKW is our favourite DVC property - if given no choice I would happily stay there for every vacation. And as my husband says “she use to be a 5 star girl until she found out there were 6 stars.” So I’m pretty fussy.

I certainly have never noticed any dirt. It’s always been spotless. We don’t hang around the Hospitality House too much, but it’s never seemed run-down to me. The only time we go to the community club is to get movies. I guess if you used those facilities a lot it might seem different.

We love the size of the suites - I always feel slightly claustrophobic in the other DVC suites and we love the big balconies. Our taste runs to the casual “Key West” themes - so I can’t fault the decor. The different buildings are being updated one building at a time. We love the quietness and seclusion after a noisy day in the parks.

OKW is the oldest DVC property and it was built with the intention that most people staying would not be using food courts, etc. It is sparse on the fast-food front - but I think most regular OKW guests are use to that and don’t expect to eat counterservice there. I think we’ve only tried Good’s Food to Go once - so I can’t really comment on the food. Olivia’s serves wonderful food - homestyle in a casual atmosphere.

I’m sorry you didn’t enjoy your stay - everyone’s expectations are different, but when we’re welcomed home at OKW we really feel like we ARE home.[/QUOTE]

Llama, I totally agree with your analysis. I love the Key West Theme too.

Fizz, we’re you able to snag one of the “preferred” room locations?

I haven’t stayed there yet. I go in December, hence the deadline given. This will be my first time there.

You probably won’t like the small TV there.

Talk to me about the TV

How small is this ‘small tv’? There are two Eagles games I’m gonna miss while while I’m down there.

If I have to, I’ll force myself to leave and go to Hooters to watch the games.

[QUOTE=Boss Mouse;888207]Talk to me about the TV

How small is this ‘small tv’? There are two Eagles games I’m gonna miss while while I’m down there.

If I have to, I’ll force myself to leave and go to Hooters to watch the games.[/QUOTE]

Boss, I am NOT exaggerating when I say that the TV in our room last August was maybe a 15".

Here is a good picture of the TV that was in our room:
http://allears.net/acc/okw27.jpg

[QUOTE=Boss Mouse;888207]
If I have to, I’ll force myself to leave and go to Hooters to watch the games.[/QUOTE]

Just go to ESPN Sports Zone. Sheesh. :laugh:

The whole reason he probably picked OKW was because of the
TV, so that he would have an excuse to go to Hooters! :laugh::laugh: