Kidani/BLT Internet Access

Got two laptops going to Kidani Village then Bay Lake Tower, we are DVC members. Can’t remeber if it is hard wired in the room or wireless.

If wired is a small router the best way to split the signal?

We were at BLT for a couple of nights last weekend and it wasn’t wireless. We ended up not using but there was the usual cord/bag hanging in the closet.

[QUOTE=monrailrider;1042005]Got two laptops going to Kidani Village then Bay Lake Tower, we are DVC members. Can’t remeber if it is hard wired in the room or wireless.

If wired is a small router the best way to split the signal?[/QUOTE]

Yes, take a small router and log on using the router’s address so that both laptops have access at the same time.

This might take a little work on your part.
Do DVC members get free internet access? I know that everyone else has to pay $10 for every 24 contiguous hours of service and that would be for each computer. So, again, with more than one computer, take the router and some 10-25 foot cords.
One other thing, be careful that you are not sharing your entire hard drive because I have been able to look into other guests’ computers in the past!

Tried the router trick at VWL in March. We could not get it to work. We had 4 laptops (all of us Realtors w/ clients) and knew we would only have one hard wire port in the 2BR unit. DW and I ran into the one port shuffle a few months earlier and I tried to beat the system this time. No such luck.
Even spoke w/ the CM’s at the front desk and they said many have tried wiht no luck. Now, that does not mean it cannot be done, but I could not figure it out. I failed in my job as the computer guy in the office.
And access was and should still be free in the DVC units. The CM’s did say that the reason they do hard port access in the rooms is so others cannot pull up access without paying for it.

Now for the computer dummy (meaning me)…
Disney has a wire that plugs from the wall to the laptop? Is there only one spot to plug it in? And are you stuck in that spot or is the cord long enough to move a bit. I just got netflix and was planning on passing the time in the airport and in the room watching a movie. Will this work?

[QUOTE=jo-jo;1042043]Now for the computer dummy (meaning me)…
Disney has a wire that plugs from the wall to the laptop? Is there only one spot to plug it in? And are you stuck in that spot or is the cord long enough to move a bit. I just got netflix and was planning on passing the time in the airport and in the room watching a movie. Will this work?[/QUOTE]

We’ve always had a pretty short cord and you are stuck in that spot. It’s perfect if you don’t mind sitting at the table in your room.

Only 1 spot Jo-Jo. We have been bringing a 25+ ft cord with us the past trips. The one provided is rather short, just reaching the table or the bkfst counter.
If you bring a longer wire remember to pack it in the computer case as it might look strange going through the screening machine if you fly. Or throw it in your suitcase.

[QUOTE=Pam&Rich;1042048]Only 1 spot Jo-Jo. We have been bringing a 25+ ft cord with us the past trips. The one provided is rather short, just reaching the table or the bkfst counter.
If you bring a longer wire remember to pack it in the computer case as it might look strange going through the screening machine if you fly. Or throw it in your suitcase.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the tip.

[QUOTE=jo-jo;1042043]Now for the computer dummy (meaning me)…
Disney has a wire that plugs from the wall to the laptop? Is there only one spot to plug it in? And are you stuck in that spot or is the cord long enough to move a bit. I just got netflix and was planning on passing the time in the airport and in the room watching a movie. Will this work?[/QUOTE]

I haven’t been in any DVC rooms other than an overnight at OKW, so I’m not sure how many network jacks there really are.
It is possible that they have wired the rooms that have two phones to also have two network outlets incorporated with the phone jack. This is a guess.
However, I would be certain that you’ll get hit for $10 for each computer, not $10 for the room.
You will be able to stream Netflix movies. I know that after Hurricane Wilma, I was streaming South Florida news reports on my laptop.
I also have streamed NASA shuttle coverage (and it’s a good thing I did because I would have hated to have gotten up at 4 in the morning in order to catch a sunrise shuttle launch that was scrubbed).

[QUOTE=Soundgod;1042070]I haven’t been in any DVC rooms other than an overnight at OKW, so I’m not sure how many network jacks there really are.
It is possible that they have wired the rooms that have two phones to also have two network outlets incorporated with the phone jack. This is a guess.
However, I would be certain that you’ll get hit for $10 for each computer, not $10 for the room.
You will be able to stream Netflix movies. I know that after Hurricane Wilma, I was streaming South Florida news reports on my laptop.
I also have streamed NASA shuttle coverage (and it’s a good thing I did because I would have hated to have gotten up at 4 in the morning in order to catch a sunrise shuttle launch that was scrubbed).[/QUOTE]

Sounds like just the one spot. Glad to know netflix will work. Of course if it wasn’t for the free access for DVC, I wouldn’t care.

With your experience with lighting, wiring and show electronics I’m sure you would be much better than I was trying to rig something that would work, but…

We tried all of the other jacks in the suite. Even the mass of ports on the phone splitter. They were all dedicated for phone service. Only one wall jack was dedicated to internet access in the whole 2BR unit (VWL). I was even ready to use dial up access but that caused a problem with deadly slow speeds. :angry::angry:

I finally hooked up one of the Blackberry’s and used it as a web portal. Had to keep the phone charger plugged in to ensure we did not loose the line due to battery life, but it did give us a second access point to the world beyond WDW. Next time we will request a 1BR w/ an adjoining studio over a 2BR unit if we go as a group again. That way we will get 2 access points.
:happy:

[QUOTE=Pam&Rich;1042091]With your experience with lighting, wiring and show electronics I’m sure you would be much better than I was trying to rig something that would work, but…

We tried all of the other jacks in the suite. Even the mass of ports on the phone splitter. They were all dedicated for phone service. Only one wall jack was dedicated to internet access in the whole 2BR unit (VWL). I was even ready to use dial up access but that caused a problem with deadly slow speeds. :angry::angry:

I finally hooked up one of the Blackberry’s and used it as a web portal. Had to keep the phone charger plugged in to ensure we did not loose the line due to battery life, but it did give us a second access point to the world beyond WDW. Next time we will request a 1BR w/ an adjoining studio over a 2BR unit if we go as a group again. That way we will get 2 access points.
:happy:[/QUOTE]

Do the DVC 1 Bedrooms have two internet plugs versus the one in a studio?

I think what Pam and Rich posted was that each room or suite comes with only one outlet. Their way around that would be to get a two bedroom suite that is made from a 1 bedroom and an adjoining studio so they get two outlets, one in the 1 bedroom and one in the studio.
But this brings up a new issue. Unless DVC members get free internet access, you are going to have to pay for both computers to be connected, or $20 a day.

I keep trying to think of a way to use a router and what I think might work is for you to have two network cards in one computer so you can use Internet Connection Sharing.
The card connected to the wall would be set to automatically have its network address assigned by the Disney network and then you would set the network address on the second card to 192.168.1.1 (or possibly 192.168.0.1) and the second computer to 192.168.1.2 (or 192.168.1.2).
You need to be a little tech savvy to pull this off, but it might work.
It’s a long time since I’ve used ICS, so what I’m suggesting might or might not work and you will have to do a little research on the specific addresses your version of Windows uses.

I think it’s getting near the time for Disney to stop trying to maximize their revenue stream and just give free internet.

We only had one in a 2BR unit in March at VWL. 1BR and Studios in the past have only had 1 connection too.

[QUOTE=Soundgod;1042230]I keep trying to think of a way to use a router and what I think might work is for you to have two network cards in one computer so you can use Internet Connection Sharing.
The card connected to the wall would be set to automatically have its network address assigned by the Disney network and then you would set the network address on the second card to 192.168.1.1 (or possibly 192.168.0.1) and the second computer to 192.168.1.2 (or 192.168.1.2).
You need to be a little tech savvy to pull this off, but it might work.
It’s a long time since I’ve used ICS, so what I’m suggesting might or might not work and you will have to do a little research on the specific addresses your version of Windows uses.

I think it’s getting near the time for Disney to stop trying to maximize their revenue stream and just give free internet. [/QUOTE]

I never would have thought of Connection Sharing. Higher level of knowledge and experience than I have. I have the older built in and an extra high end card installed on my laptop for when I travel. Go figure. Never crossed my mind this could be done. :blink:

I agree that DVC guests should just have open access via a pass code that expires when theri stay is over. A random access code system could be used. EVERY other hotel I have ever been to on business lives w/ an access code for guests.

Ended up using a 4-port switch which split the one internet cord into as many as 4. Worked great on two laptops right before bed. Kidani was AWESOME!!! Teppan Edo in Japan Rocked!!!

Was your set up simple or did you have to jump through hoops?
(I’m assuming it was simple and that you logged on like at home)

[QUOTE=Soundgod;1044445]Was your set up simple or did you have to jump through hoops?
(I’m assuming it was simple and that you logged on like at home)[/QUOTE]

It was plug and play simple. Went to a Disney site on internet explorer first then could surf as usual.

If you search around the web you will find that most people bring a small travel size wireless router to use multiple laptops at one time. This would also allow you to travel around the room. Make sure you secure it though, others near you will be able to get on your network.

This is actually good advice for your computer as well.
You need to not share everything.
In the past, when connected to resort networks, I have been able to look into other people’s computers. In extreme cases, I could have created and modified files on those computers.

I think it’s funny how today’s problem is how to get more than one laptop to be able to log on to the Internet and the extra hardware we carry to do so when only 17 years ago, very few people even had laptops.