King Tritons Carousel & Astro Orbitor

King Tritons Carousel in DCA has re-opened and the Astro Orbitor in DL is being put back together and has been re-painted to match the rest of TL, will open up in early June. They both look good, King Tritons Carousel looks basically the same, got new paint and a new canopy - the downtime was more for mechanical stuff.

I thought it was King Arthur’s?

No, “King Arthur’s Carousel” is in Disneyland park in Fantasyland. “King Triton’s Carousel” is in Disney’s California Adventure park in Paradise Pier.

Ahhhh I gotcha! I was thinking DL.

Itss allll gooood :tongue:

I wanted to add something about the Astro Orbiter that y’all might find interesting: when Disney made the decision to give Astro a makeover rather than dispose of it altogether, instead of having the company that designed it rebuild it, Disney rebuilt it themselves - and they put it together wrong. :laugh:

So if you ride Astro and find that it seems a little different, it is. The cage no longer lifts as high as it used to, and it doesn’t stay up high during the ride like it is supposed to. Instead, the cage drops slowly (with several loud expressions of air) during the ride until it’s riding very closely to the ground by the time the ride stops. This was NOT an intentional change to give a new ride experience or anything, it was a mistake. :laugh: But it would be too expensive to tear it apart and rebuild it correctly, and since there is no safety threat, Disney is leaving it as is.

Whoops! :tongue:

[QUOTE=dznygrl;970746]I wanted to add something about the Astro Orbiter that y’all might find interesting: when Disney made the decision to give Astro a makeover rather than dispose of it altogether, instead of having the company that designed it rebuild it, Disney rebuilt it themselves - and they put it together wrong. :laugh:

So if you ride Astro and find that it seems a little different, it is. The cage no longer lifts as high as it used to, and it doesn’t stay up high during the ride like it is supposed to. Instead, the cage drops slowly (with several loud expressions of air) during the ride until it’s riding very closely to the ground by the time the ride stops. This was NOT an intentional change to give a new ride experience or anything, it was a mistake. :laugh: But it would be too expensive to tear it apart and rebuild it correctly, and since there is no safety threat, Disney is leaving it as is.

Whoops! :tongue:[/QUOTE]

I guess Disney has lost its sense of “Quality Control and Guest Experience”, thats too bad.

In the end, it all boils down to money. Personally, I don’t care for Astro Orbitor. It is a cooler looking version of Dumbo, but I suppose it is something that is just a filler of empty space.

Yeah it’s a shame that they insisted on doing it themselves to save money in the first place, and when it ended up wrong, weren’t willing to fix it.

The same is currently true of the repaving going on in Tomorrowland. If you’re there around now, you’ll notice that the varying colors of cement stop toward the back of TL…it’s because Disney budgeted to repave Tomorrowland, but they failed to budget for the preparation of the different shades of cement. They’ve exceeded the original budget and decided rather than spend the extra money right now, to leave part of TL unfinished. :rolleyes: :dry:

[QUOTE=dznygrl;970903]Yeah it’s a shame that they insisted on doing it themselves to save money in the first place, and when it ended up wrong, weren’t willing to fix it.

The same is currently true of the repaving going on in Tomorrowland. If you’re there around now, you’ll notice that the varying colors of cement stop toward the back of TL…it’s because Disney budgeted to repave Tomorrowland, but they failed to budget for the preparation of the different shades of cement. They’ve exceeded the original budget and decided rather than spend the extra money right now, to leave part of TL unfinished. :rolleyes: :dry:[/QUOTE]

Gotta love the Money Management Department. :glare:

I swear, that land will never be one set theme or tone, it has like 4 decades going on at once. Its such a hodge-podge of everything…haha…in a way its actually kind of annoying and embarrassing. :laugh:

[QUOTE=anaheimboy;970945]Gotta love the Money Management Department. :glare:

I swear, that land will never be one set theme or tone, it has like 4 decades going on at once. Its such a hodge-podge of everything…haha…in a way its actually kind of annoying and embarrassing. :laugh:[/QUOTE]

:laugh: It’s never exactly fit Walt’s vision for Tomorrowland, has it?

Yeah. It’s…odd. Oh well, I suppose it’s a land that gives them an excuse to constantly reinvent and try new things! :rolleyes:

[QUOTE=dznygrl;971011]

Yeah. It’s…odd. Oh well, I suppose it’s a land that gives them an excuse to constantly reinvent and try new things! :rolleyes:[/QUOTE]
This is very true!