Kkeys to the Kindom tour

Has anyone ever been on this tour? what kind of behind the scenes stuff do they do? do they show you how the rides work? i am just looking to this for my trip in May. Thanks!!:heart:

Haven’t been yet, but will be taking the tour in 3 weeks. Can’t wait!

There has been a few MBers that have done it… I want to by MissSMIG is only going to be 15 and you have to be 16 to participate

I have really wanna know how things work. There are so many amazing rides in MK and i wanna know how they do it!

My mom did it when we took her on our last trip, she loved it! There was a lot of walking but she keeps telling us how we should do it this time! SHe said they show you how they run the whole “System” for lack of a better word! I think it would be great, but it’s hard becase we have three children under 5 (they can’t go and we wouldn’t want them to, it may spoil the magic), but I was thinking of trying to do the Yuletide tour when we go in December. My inlaws are coming and don’t want to go to the parks everyday (I know, they are crazy!), so they can help with the kids and DH and I can get some much needed time alone!

Thanks for posting this thread, we are going on the tour in a week and a half so I like to hear what to expect. :smile:

I took this tour last May and if things have not changed they do not show how the rides work. They take you on several rides and give yo some history about both DL and WDW parks how they came to be. You do go behild the scenes and under ground, but I won’t go into details cause of the kids. It’s a geat tour, youe lots of walking, we had a great time on it! I would go again if given the chance!!

Do you actually get to ride on the rides or do they just talk about them?

Worth the time & money if you go often enough to take the better part of a day.

I went on the Keys to the Kingdom tour in June. Actually, they did not ID me, and my dad was saying we probably could’ve brought my younger sister along (though that’s not exactly her thing).

They don’t really show you how the rides work. Everyone gets a headset so that they can easily hear the guide (but don’t get too far behind, or the radio gets fuzzy). The guide walks you down Main Street, periodically stopping to give information on the park and Walt Disney. We toured the park from Adventureland clockwise. We rode the Jungle Cruise, with our tour guide replacing the skipper. It was rather interesting to see all of the details pointed out. We went behind-the-scenes in Frontierland (McDonald’s Fry Cart/Splash Mountain) to tour the parade floats and get a view of Splash Mountain and Potc from behind. We ate lunch at Columbia Harbour House. We rode Haunted Mansion without the guide, then discussed it afterwards. We didn’t spend much time in Fantasyland due to the crowds… we went over to the castle and then went down to the utilidors by Crystal Palace. We toured underground for a bit, then came up on Main Street and headed back to turn in our headset.

It was a fun tour. However, a lot of the information, I already knew… either I read it in a book or had heard it before. I did enjoy the tour of the parade floats and utilidors, though. That was probably my favorite part of the tour… being behind-the-scenes.

I recommend it to anyone who wants another viewpoint of MK. It opened my eyes to some things I’d never noticed before, and for those who aren’t so familiar with the history of MK, I think it would be very informational. (Not to mention, you feel incredibly cool with your name badge and lanyard :cool:)

We rode the Jungle Cruise and Haunted Mansion.

[QUOTE=LittleMissMagic;860594]I went on the Keys to the Kingdom tour in June. Actually, they did not ID me, and my dad was saying we probably could’ve brought my younger sister along (though that’s not exactly her thing).

They don’t really show you how the rides work. Everyone gets a headset so that they can easily hear the guide (but don’t get too far behind, or the radio gets fuzzy). The guide walks you down Main Street, periodically stopping to give information on the park and Walt Disney. We toured the park from Adventureland clockwise. We rode the Jungle Cruise, with our tour guide replacing the skipper. It was rather interesting to see all of the details pointed out. We went behind-the-scenes in Frontierland (McDonald’s Fry Cart/Splash Mountain) to tour the parade floats and get a view of Splash Mountain and Potc from behind. We ate lunch at Columbia Harbour House. We rode Haunted Mansion without the guide, then discussed it afterwards. We didn’t spend much time in Fantasyland due to the crowds… we went over to the castle and then went down to the utilidors by Crystal Palace. We toured underground for a bit, then came up on Main Street and headed back to turn in our headset.

It was a fun tour. However, a lot of the information, I already knew… either I read it in a book or had heard it before. I did enjoy the tour of the parade floats and utilidors, though. That was probably my favorite part of the tour… being behind-the-scenes.

I recommend it to anyone who wants another viewpoint of MK. It opened my eyes to some things I’d never noticed before, and for those who aren’t so familiar with the history of MK, I think it would be very informational. (Not to mention, you feel incredibly cool with your name badge and lanyard :cool:)[/QUOTE]

When you go underground do you get to see all the computers and stuff??

I hope I don’t step on anyone’s toes with this, but these are my thoughts on the tour. I really wish to discourage anyone that isn’t a CM from doing this tour. I despise it. Everyday I go to work at MK and I walk through the tunnels and see guests doing the tour, it really upsets me. I along with so many others work so very hard every day to put on an illusion for everyone of an incredible new place. For people to want to see how that illusion works, and pay all that money to come downstairs and see CMs not show worthy, and plus the horrific stench that goes throughout the tunnels occasionally, just doesn’t leave a pleasant taste in my mouth. If Walt were still alive he would NEVER have allowed anything like this to happen. And honestly, there’s really nothing backstage of interest. You can’t take pictures anyways (thank God). When you actually go down, the tunnels are barren, and as I mentioned, can smell quite profusely:blow:, especially since we had an avac-leak not too long ago still trying to patch up :blow:. You spend all that money to get into the park, why not just enjoy it instead of spending even more just to figure out how it works?

Just my thoughts on the tour. Definitely can’t stop it. Maybe I’m wrong. Maybe the normal guests can see something beyond.

Not really. A few doors were open, but no control rooms of any sort. They stopped us at a tv and played us a video about how costumes were handled and such.

[QUOTE=RowdyRAider;860673]I hope I don’t step on anyone’s toes with this, but these are my thoughts on the tour. I really wish to discourage anyone that isn’t a CM from doing this tour. I despise it. Everyday I go to work at MK and I walk through the tunnels and see guests doing the tour, it really upsets me. I along with so many others work so very hard every day to put on an illusion for everyone of an incredible new place. For people to want to see how that illusion works, and pay all that money to come downstairs and see CMs not show worthy, and plus the horrific stench that goes throughout the tunnels occasionally, just doesn’t leave a pleasant taste in my mouth. If Walt were still alive he would NEVER have allowed anything like this to happen. And honestly, there’s really nothing backstage of interest. You can’t take pictures anyways (thank God). When you actually go down, the tunnels are barren, and as I mentioned, can smell quite profusely:blow:, especially since we had an avac-leak not too long ago still trying to patch up :blow:. You spend all that money to get into the park, why not just enjoy it instead of spending even more just to figure out how it works?

Just my thoughts on the tour. Definitely can’t stop it. Maybe I’m wrong. Maybe the normal guests can see something beyond.[/QUOTE]

You know this is exactly how I feel. I want to enjoy the magic. Sure I can figure out some of it, but really I don’t want to know. This is the only place we vacation that seems like we are in another world altogether, a magical world, like a fairy tale. I want to keep it that way!

[QUOTE=RowdyRAider;860673]I hope I don’t step on anyone’s toes with this, but these are my thoughts on the tour. I really wish to discourage anyone that isn’t a CM from doing this tour. I despise it. Everyday I go to work at MK and I walk through the tunnels and see guests doing the tour, it really upsets me. I along with so many others work so very hard every day to put on an illusion for everyone of an incredible new place. For people to want to see how that illusion works, and pay all that money to come downstairs and see CMs not show worthy, and plus the horrific stench that goes throughout the tunnels occasionally, just doesn’t leave a pleasant taste in my mouth. If Walt were still alive he would NEVER have allowed anything like this to happen. And honestly, there’s really nothing backstage of interest. You can’t take pictures anyways (thank God). When you actually go down, the tunnels are barren, and as I mentioned, can smell quite profusely:blow:, especially since we had an avac-leak not too long ago still trying to patch up :blow:. You spend all that money to get into the park, why not just enjoy it instead of spending even more just to figure out how it works?

Just my thoughts on the tour. Definitely can’t stop it. Maybe I’m wrong. Maybe the normal guests can see something beyond.[/QUOTE]

I see where you’re coming from, and I somewhat agree. I believe that is why they set the age limit… they don’t want to ruin the magic for the kids (though, my best friend at 5 went in the tunnel with her mom, who was a college professor and was taking a group of college students). And I was somewhat cautious about taking the tour because I didn’t want to ruin MK for myself.

However, there are a lot of people that are naturally curious and just like to know how things work… take apart clocks and computers and remote controls to see how they function… gain something from the knowledge of knowing how things tick. I think that is who the tour is intended for. The tour didn’t remove any magic for me… if anything, it increased my respect and appreciation for Walt Disney and the World. I still go into the park and am drawn into the “show” aspect… I just have a better understanding of how the show is made.

Took the tour in May '08. Loved it. Did not spoil ANY of the magic for me. Just made me appreciate all that goes into the wonderful world of Disney! We rode POC and HM. The JC was undergoing a refurb. Our family loves WDW and visit often. This tour DID tell me things that I already knew about the history, etc. but, I still loved it and learned from it. One thing I appreciated about the tour was that we had never eaten at Columbia H. House and we LOVED it!! So, I know that might seem to be a silly reason (and only 1 of many), but I am glad that it got me into a restaurant that I had never been in and might have never given it a chance to be on my list of “must eat there”. But we definitely will eat there again. Our tour guide was excellent and answered questions as long as we had them. So, I am “pro” to this tour. (And, we didn’t spend that much time underground…just long enough to intrique me even more!)

Do you actually get to ride on the rides or do they just talk about them?

YES We rode, Pirates, Haunted Mansionbut I don’t recall what other rides we rode. I checked my trip report and didn’t mention it in there. Sorry I don’t remember! We loved this tour!!

[QUOTE=LittleMissMagic;860704]

However, there are a lot of people that are naturally curious and just like to know how things work… take apart clocks and computers and remote controls to see how they function… gain something from the knowledge of knowing how things tick. I think that is who the tour is intended for. The tour didn’t remove any magic for me… if anything, it increased my respect and appreciation for Walt Disney and the World. I still go into the park and am drawn into the “show” aspect… I just have a better understanding of how the show is made.[/QUOTE]

I agree. I know this is something that my boyfriend would love he’s very interested in how things work and computers. He would get more enjoyment out of this than any ride, that’s just how he is. I love WDW to no end and I have always wondered how things worked and now as i am getting older I find myself wondering more and more and I know that this tour wouldn’t ruin my love for Disney at all.

I am sorry if my questions about this tour bothered anyone!!! I see it has sparked some controversy… sorry!!

[QUOTE=poohbe66;861976]

I am sorry if my questions about this tour bothered anyone!!! I see it has sparked some controversy… sorry!![/QUOTE]

No harm done, Rowdy is the quintessential CM and has strong feelings about this and other topics.