Labor Day Weekend Park Attendence

Specifically Magic Kingdom. We’re going to Orlando for the long weekend and thinking we may do one day there. But if the parks are going to be packed, we might not. Has anyone been during that weekend in years past, and if so, how busy was it?

Busy Friday anad Saturdy, good size crowd on Sunday, but we hav found Monday to be really relaxed with everyone leaving. And Tuesday has been one of the slowest days we have every encountered.

Good to know! We are going to stay with friends Friday night and Sat night, then at a resort Sun night and Mon night, so we will probably do the park on Monday.

Labor Day weekend may be a bit crowded, but nothing that can’t be handled with smart touring and nothing like other holidays at WDW.

I have to disagree here… from our experience Labor Day Weekend was a great and less crowded time to go due to most kids being back in school. I haven’t gone that weekend for the past 2 years, but prior to that we went yearly. But, like Dana said, if you are a professional it will be perfect!

Yes, we are pros, but we were a bit spoiled by our last visit at the beginning of Feb, it was sooooo dead!

check this link … Disney World Crowd Calendar with park opening hours September 2012 - Free Disney Vacation Planner Tips

I always look at Labor Day as our last “summer rush.” Majority of my years here it’s been packed. This year, with the unbelievable park attendance increase we’ve had, ESPECIALLY during the “dead” times, I do expect quite a crowd of people. Plan for a lot, and if they don’t show up, more power to you!

Rowdy, has Disney figured out why that happened. I really didn’t see lower prices or an increase in free dining. I guess I’m trying to figure out if this will be the norm from now on, or is it the influx of people who figured out they weren’t losing their jobs and finally are taking a vacation again.

A couple of reasons come to mind:
[ul]
[li]Times are still hard. I know that sounds OPPOSITE, but think about it. During the Great Depression, what did people do to escape the woes? They went to movies. They bought big, expensive radios to listen to the different stations. Same concept here. People need an escape from the tough times. What better way to forget about troubles for a while than Walt Disney World?
[/li][li]The Wizarding World of Harry Potter. That area has actually saved the theme park. Prior to its opening, every year was getting in the red more and more. But while that brings new crowds to Universal, they decide, “Hey, Disney is right here too. Might as well enjoy that.”
[/li][li]New Things! With Fantasyland becoming more and more complete, ground to break on Avatar at DAK soon, and other huge projects, people are getting on board early. Word of Mouth is spreading. Some people just can’t wait.
[/li][/ul]

Those are my top three reasons why I believe the attendance has jumped so dramatically, and the forecasts call for this trend to continue.

I’m so torn! Some things say it won’t be terrible, other things say it will be packed. One option is to stay an extra day, and instead of staying Sun night and Mon night and doing MK on Monday, stay Mon night and Tues night and do the park on Tuesday, when crowds have really died down. I’m thinking this would be the better idea.

Labor Day itself won’t be packed. Most people use Labor Day as the “travel home” day. It’s the weekend that will be busy. Friday, Saturday and Sunday.

We were there two years ago on Labor Day weekend. Sunday seemed to be the most crowded, but Monday was very light. We walked through MK practically by ourselves until about 1 pm. It was great. We left on Tuesday, so can’t report on that day.

Personally, I’d wait for Tuesday. You’re pretty much assured a pretty quiet day.
Unfortunately, it’s not like the “old days” when you could pretty well be assured of predicting quiet times. Now if there’s a quiet time, Disney’ll stick some sort of discount in. Still, it should be pretty quiet the week after Labour Day.

[QUOTE=llama;1112700]Personally, I’d wait for Tuesday. You’re pretty much assured a pretty quiet day.
Unfortunately, it’s not like the “old days” when you could pretty well be assured of predicting quiet times. Now if there’s a quiet time, Disney’ll stick some sort of discount in. Still, it should be pretty quiet the week after Labour Day.[/QUOTE]

One time when we were there for NYEve…the crowds disappeared on the 1st and we got to have all the parks to ourselves for Jan 1st, and 2nd…the place was spooky it was so dead…I bet it’s not like that now…