Labor Day

Hello all!

Has anyone here got any experience of visiting Disney World over Labor Day weekend? I have read very conflicting things about the crowds on Labor Day - some say it’s fine, some say it fills to capacity and the parks close. I have no idea what to expect! I have been during the summer (although not on a national holiday) and found the parks to be crowded but managable. How does Labor Day weekend compare to the rest of the summer?

Also, has anyone had any serious problems with hurricanes during this time? Obviously having spent all my Disney World time in summer I know what to expect with the short-but-dramatic daily storms, and they don’t bother me at all, but I’ve read that September is much worse than that…

I’m going for Labour day this year and have also read conflicting reviews on crowd levels. I’ve never been for the long weekend before so I can’t help you there. I can tell you that two years ago when we went in Sept., there was little rain and it never lasted that long. So lets cross our fingers and hope for the same this year

We did in 2009. Crowds were great. It was still crowded in Fantasyland during the middle of the day, but that is to be expected. We were able to walk on most rides, though (and did MK during EMH so that was no problem). Most attractions didn’t have more than a 30-minute wait. It was great.

It was really, really, REALLY hot, though. And humid. It rained a little bit some days in the afternoons like it tends to do during the summer in Florida, but the rain didn’t really affect us. It didn’t last more than an hour or two.

It was MUCH less crowded than the rest of the summer, though. (Well, I don’t really know about that year because we didn’t go during that summer, but we have done June and July trips in the past and the crowds were terrible, but for Labor Day, most of the summer crowds were gone. I think most kids were back in school.)

I’ll echo what LMM said. It is still hot and some areas will be packed mid day. But depending how the weekend falls compared to school start schedules it can be a very nice time to travel. A large majority of schools in the south usually start before the Labor Day weekend so there are fewer families traveling. And many families just want to be back home well before there children start back if they begin immediately after the holiday.

My husband and I went this past Labor Day weekend. We’ve been about 12 times before at various times, but never on Labor Day. It was the lightest crowd that we have ever encountered. On Monday morning, we literally walked through Adventureland and Frontierland completely by ourselves. The workers were all out asking us where everyone was! It got a bit crowded on Saturday afternoon, but then cleared again on Sunday. We will definitely go again at this time of year.

We went labor day weekend, but that was close to 20 years ago. We found the crowds manageable, with lots of travelers from overseas. And the weather was gorgeous.

I have been to WDW over Labor Day weekend twice and didn’t find the crowds to hard to deal with. I suggest staying away from MK unless you can get in there for an EMH. That parks tends to get some serious crowds later on in day on any weekend and especially on a holiday weekend.

How are the weeks leading into the weekend?

excellent, that all doesn’t sound too bad then, thank you!