Last Day to ride Space Mountain as we know it!

Today is the last day to ride Space Mountain before the rehab. I don’t know the extent of what’s going to be redone. Does anyone here have more information? Is it a full on rehab, just a refreshing facelift, or are we not going to recognize SM when it re-opens? When is it scheduled to re-open?

Anyway, if anyone is there enjoy it now!!!

I found these updates & information on ScreamScape, can’t vouch for the validity of course:

2010 - Space Mountain: Mission 2 - (4/2/09) There has been some confusion lately about when Space Mountain may reopen, some of which may have been caused by Disney World management who would rather have the ride closed for an entire summer rather than have it closed for the two weeks of the Christmas holiday period. As I understand things, the plan is still to perform a complete replacement of the ride system, bring in new trains, new effects, and rebuild and retheme the loading stations. It seems the timetable for this is a little… ummm… unspecific. There are those involved, especially on the resort’s management side, who are pushing to ensure that the ride will be reopen in time for the winter holidays if it is at all possible. These are also the people who may be pushing to ‘cut’ certain things from the budget (cool things…) in an effort to have the ride reopened early. Meanwhile most others are less than optimistic that it can be done that quickly… especially based on how slow the Orlando the local construction crews are with almost every other major project. They do have the advantage of weather not being an issue, as the attraction is indoor so while it is possible, it’s just far too early to know for sure until the project is under way.

(1/29/09) A Screamscape source has confirmed to us that the lengthy Space Mountain rehab may actually see the ride closed for close to a year, so unless they really get ahead of schedule don’t expect to see the ride back open for Christmas. From what I’ve been told Disney did opt to go for a complete track replacement plan, along with building loading station area, queue and of course a new fleet of trains with on-board audio systems.
I’m not sure if I’ve mentioned it before or not but the Galaxy Palace Theater in Tomorrowland (between the Carousel and Buzz Lightyear) is being demolished right now. While Disney has long had their eyes on redeveloping this side of Tomorrowland (all the way down to the old Skyway station building) I’ve heard that the demolition may have been a necessary requirement due to the old age and stability of the venue. While there are no plans to build anything new here yet, Disney went along with the demolition mainly so they could use the site as temporary parking and storage during the yearlong rehab to Space Mountain.

(1/9/09) While Disney still isn’t saying much, a Screamscape source tells us that Space Mountain will very likely get entirely all new track after all. I know in the past I had heard that they were getting price quotes for both whole and partial replacement and at one point they were leaning towards going the cheap route and just replacing some of the track. According to our source, the new track is necessary due to the new heavier rockets that will feature on-board audio. They also tell us that the queue may end up looking much more like the California version, it should have a new Re-Entry tunnel effect at the end and that we can expect to see station-gates added to the loading areas. Apparently there is also talk about putting in the cool “revolving tunnel” effect on the lift hill, though that aspect has not be finalized since the current version has it’s own uniquely themed lift-hill and there is an effort to preserve some classic elements from the current ride since it is the original.

Disney’s Space Mountain will close for a makeover
Jason Garcia | Sentinel Staff Writer
January 8, 2009

No. 11 on Dewayne Bevil’s Top 50 Orlando Theme Park Attractions. Space Mountain, Magic Kingdom. Not seeing what’s about to happen gives the in-the-dark coaster extra thrills. (WALT DISNEY CO. / July 20, 2000)

One of Walt Disney World’s iconic attractions is getting a makeover.

Disney said Wednesday that it will shut down Space Mountain this spring for what the company described as a months-long “refreshment” of the 34-year-old Magic Kingdom roller coaster.

The ride will close April 19, just after the Easter holiday. It is expected to reopen late in the year, Disney spokeswoman Andrea Finger said, though a specific reopening date has not been set.

The timetable means Space Mountain will be closed throughout the busy summer-travel season.

Related links
The latest Disney news
Photos of Disney’s theme parks Multimedia
Walt Disney World’s Magic Kingdom now and through the years Photos
Photos: Disney Epcot Center through the years Photos
Disney’s Hollywood Studios now and through the years Photos
Disney’s Animal Kingdom photos Photos
Photos: Orlando’s newest rides and attractions Photos
I’m going to Disney World! Photos
Top 50 Theme Park Attractions Photos

The scoop on Orlando’s best attractions…
Photo gallery for Characters in Flight now available

Send me your attractions wish list (and look at Grossology exhibit)

Weekend outlook: Nelly, joe gardener, Ventures plus farewells to Mardi Gras, Space Mountain

Star sighting: Larry the Cable Guy at SeaWorld Orlando

Reporting from high above Downtown Disney

More…

More Orlando Sentinel blogs
Search: Theme park attractions injury, illness and death reports
Roller coasters at Central Florida attractions Photos
Attractions and Attraction discounts
Photos: Disney child stars on parade Photos
Walt Disney World’s Magic Kingdom now and through the years Photos
Photos: Disney Epcot Center through the years Photos
Disney’s Hollywood Studios now and through the years Photos
Disney’s Animal Kingdom photos Photos
Universal Studios now and through the years Photos
Universal Studios’ Islands of Adventure now and through the years Photos
SeaWorld photos Photos
Cirque du Soleil La Nouba at Downtown Disney photos Photos
Cypress Gardens through the years Photos
Photos: Gatorland through the years Photos
Photos: Mickey Mouse through the years Photos The construction work will include installing new track inside the enclosed coaster, which carries guests in the dark through a series of sudden drops and sharp turns. The layout of the track will remain the same, however.

Other upgrades will include a new enclosure for the ride’s queuing area and a new ceiling inside its signature white dome, Finger said.

Finger said the renovations are the first substantial work on the ride since September 1999. The project follows a series of other makeovers Disney has made in recent years to some of its oldest attractions, including the Haunted Mansion and Pirates of the Caribbean in the Magic Kingdom and Spaceship Earth in Epcot.

Disney fans have been swapping rumors for more than a year that the company was planning a sweeping overhaul of Space Mountain. In 2005, the Walt Disney Co. completed an extensive, two-year makeover of the Space Mountain at Disneyland in Anaheim, Calif.

But the changes to Orlando’s version of the ride – it’s the original Space Mountain, having opened Jan. 15, 1975 – are likely to be more modest.

“We’re retaining many of the classic elements that made Space Mountain a rite of passage at the Magic Kingdom that’s been enjoyed by generations,” Finger said.

This has been a long time coming. I was under the impression they were redoing the loading area and the speical effects, but the ride was still going to be space mountain, just space mountain “freshly done” sorta speak. I also get the impression it will be down at least as long as IASW was.

I can’t wait to see what the new version looks like! I’m kinda sad that they need to close the TTA while this is happening, but that is progress :slight_smile:

I won’t miss it! :laugh: I agree with Dana, it’s been quite a rough ride in need of serious refurbs for about 8 years now. It’s SOOOO bumpy & rough, especially if you sit in the very back seat. :pinch:

I am hoping it re-opens with results bringing it up to par w/the Disneyland version, which is MUCH smoother & nicer.

[QUOTE=WishUponAStar;953624]I won’t miss it! :laugh: I agree with Dana, it’s been quite a rough ride in need of serious refurbs for about 8 years now. It’s SOOOO bumpy & rough, especially if you sit in the very back seat. :pinch:

I am hoping it re-opens with results bringing it up to par w/the Disneyland version, which is MUCH smoother & nicer.[/QUOTE]

Agreed. We don’t even ride it anymore to be honest.

Ok, the scoop we got on our last trip, and again, keep in mind, who knows really how true it is, is that Space Mtn will be very much like the Disneyland version when it re-opens. Two seats per row, new track, etc.

I can’t wait for the changes! To me SM hasn’t changed since I was a kid.

When they closed the one in DL to re-do it, it seemed like it was closed forever! I am kinda bummed because it will be closed when we are there in Sept. It’s one of my DD favorite rides.

I was assuming they were going to make it more similar to DL’s Space Mountain. It sounds like they are.

I’ll miss it, but I’m looking forward to this rehabilitation. Space Mountain scares me a little more each time I ride it… the overhead support beams seem so close to the cars. I’m scared to raise my arms. I’m usually ducking down in the seat, holding on for dear life. I love thrill, but I do fear for my safety.

It was very much in need of this, I can’t wait to see what they do with it.

[QUOTE=LittleMissMagic;953733]I was assuming they were going to make it more similar to DL’s Space Mountain. It sounds like they are.

I’ll miss it, but I’m looking forward to this rehabilitation. Space Mountain scares me a little more each time I ride it… the overhead support beams seem so close to the cars. I’m scared to raise my arms. I’m usually ducking down in the seat, holding on for dear life. I love thrill, but I do fear for my safety.[/QUOTE]

I feel the SAME way & I am almost 5’11!!! :ohmy: I DO NOT put my hands up. It’s probably a lot higher than we realize & it wouldn’t chop our hands or head off but it still appears LOW! :ohmy:

We have always loved SM and now that there redoing it we can’t wait to ride it again

I hope that it is reopened when we go at Christmas.

I hope it’s reopened in February… should be, but you never know.

Gonna miss SM in September! But we will get to see the updated Haunted Mansion!

I read somewhere that it reopens in November. However, The peoplemover (or the TTA for all of you young’ins) reopens august 22… Sounds major.

plus - you’re only going 18 mph. not sure how much you would get hurt, i am thinking not much worse and a good slap on the hand…

what are they doing to the HM? i dind’t hear anything about a rehab…