Laundry question

This is a very strange question but does anyone know what is used to clean the sheets and towels at the resorts? My daughter and I are both very allergic to dryer sheets and fabric softener. I would assume that is used when the sheets/towels are washed. Do you think I could call the resort and ask them to not use that stuff? I can’t imagine I am the only one dealing with this problem. I also was planning on doing laundry when I am there but I can’t use a machine that has been used with fabric softener or dryer sheets. Does POP have machines set aside by any chance that are for no dryer sheets or fabric softener? I don’t imagine so but I thought I’d ask. Thanks

Kim

Knowing that the sheets are not done at each hotel individually but brought to one facility I can say that I would be surprised if WDW used the money to use Fabric Softener in any form. I am sure if you called the resort directly they could answer that question and/or point you in the right direction.

As for the laundry rooms at WDW they DO NOT have separate laundry machines for those with alergies. You may want to talk to the resort directly regarding this too. They may have a way to clean out the machines before you use them.

Good Luck!

Lisa

As for the washers set aside, they do not have any. I would call POP directly and speak with a manager

Ok thanks : )

I’d suggest bringing your own fitted sheet/pillowcase and pack enough to not have to do laundry. If it is a serious allergy, the last thing you want to deal with on a vacation is a bad reaction.
Good luck!:mickey:

I agree with this. With a serious allergy I wouldn’t want to take any chances.

What do you normally do when you stay at a hotel?

I’d bring your own sheets and towels, and even enough clothes and then some. I can’t imagine them setting aside your sheets and some towels and washing those separately. They use HUUUGE machines to wash sheets, blankets, towels, etc. (I saw Dirty Jobs lol) There is no way they could just do your stuff. As for the dryer and washer set aside…I seriously doubt it. Not to mention can you trust people to be honest and not use softener in them? Not everyone is that nice. Can you run the washer a cycle with nothing in it but some towels then toss then in a dryer to ‘wipe’ out any residues?

Also, you can most assuredly assume the blankets are all washed the same way and that you might need your own blanket.

PS: I asked my g-ma who used to work in a hotel and a hospital and oodles of bleach is used to sanitize the sheets, etc.

Oh and when you make your reservation and even once you go to your room, you might want to post a note on your wall or etc to the mousekeeping to not change your sheets or mess with your towels. You never know, they might not pay attention and grab one of your towels, etc
Good Luck!

[QUOTE=5Demons4Cookie;977651]Oh and when you make your reservation and even once you go to your room, you might want to post a note on your wall or etc to the mousekeeping to not change your sheets or mess with your towels. You never know, they might not pay attention and grab one of your towels, etc
Good Luck![/QUOTE]
Better yet, I’d just stick the do not disturb thingy on my door, and I would just keep my room picked up myself. I have terrible skin allergies to certain types of cosmetics, and I will do just about anything to keep myself away from those!

Good Point Missy. Lol. I forgot about those little signs. :wacko:

[QUOTE=kimblebee;977561]This is a very strange question but does anyone know what is used to clean the sheets and towels at the resorts? My daughter and I are both very allergic to dryer sheets and fabric softener. I would assume that is used when the sheets/towels are washed. Do you think I could call the resort and ask them to not use that stuff? I can’t imagine I am the only one dealing with this problem. I also was planning on doing laundry when I am there but I can’t use a machine that has been used with fabric softener or dryer sheets. Does POP have machines set aside by any chance that are for no dryer sheets or fabric softener? I don’t imagine so but I thought I’d ask. Thanks

Kim[/QUOTE]

If you have alergies, I suggest bringing your own sheets. you could always call and request it, but you will not know for sure if there hasn’t been anything used on them until after you lay or sleep in them…totally not worth taking that chance in my opinion.

Thanks for all the opinions. I have stayed in a few hotels before and haven’t had any problems with the sheets and towels. I may just have to run the washing machine empty for a cycle before I put our stuff in. The dryer is another story because it gets coated with whatever is in a dryer sheet. I’ll think of something. Thanks again

Kim

[QUOTE=kimblebee;977770]Thanks for all the opinions. I have stayed in a few hotels before and haven’t had any problems with the sheets and towels. I may just have to run the washing machine empty for a cycle before I put our stuff in. The dryer is another story because it gets coated with whatever is in a dryer sheet. I’ll think of something. Thanks again

Kim[/QUOTE]

I know I’m strange, but I don’t like to dry my clothes in a clothes dryer. At home, I’ll put our sheets, towels and underwear in, but I hang everything else up. When I wash at Disney, I usually drape things over the backs of chairs and the towel rod. I also hang clothes on all the hangers we have in the room. You may feel like you’re in a clothes jungle, but you can dry things without using a dryer at Disney!:happy:

Kim,

I too have allergies to laundry detergents and fabric softeners. I have never had a problem at any of the Disney resorts. As with most industrial laundry services they use a basic soap, lots of hot water and bleach. I usually take the bed spread off for the duration of our stay, but that is also because of other issues I have:huh:

I also have never had any issues with the towels in the room or at the pools.

Hope this helps:happy:

Here’s another option, although pricier. I’ve seen this advertised in multiple travel magazines and have considered it when staying in some hotels where the rooms weren’t as clean as I’d expected…especially after all those stories about bed bugs!

New Silk Sleep Sacks and Sleeping Bag Liners by DreamSacks

You might be able to find cheaper and/or non-silk options, but basically, it provides a cocoon for you to sleep in.

Another thing to consider when bringing your own sheets and towels…do NOT bring WHITE. I’ve lost some great towels by doing so. Housekeeping comes in, and it becomes mixed with everything else.

Good luck!
4Pups

2005 - Land and Sea
1973-1984 - Annual trips to Disneyland

Land and Sea again in 2010!