Le Cellier- Worth it at lunch?

Okay, Le Cellier is the “magic impossibility” for dinner. I have tried, tried, and tried a little more, then tried again to get it for dinner and have had no luck. Somehow, I have gotten it for lunch on June 18 this year. Is it worth it for lunch or should I hold out for one year for dinner? Any thoughts/advice would be great.

If the time and menu work for you, sure.
If you don’t want to eat that heavy at lunch, then I’m not sure what to suggest.
I’m of the minority opinion that it’s just OK and overhyped because it’s only one credit on the dining plan, so you could probably go another year. Think instead, Yachtsman’s Steakhouse. It may be two credits, but it’s a lot easier to get a reservation and is very good. Or consider even paying out of pocket and going to Shula’s in the Dolphin.

I totally agree.

Great info! We have somehow never “lucked” out and gotten this and it has always stressed me that we have missed this one. I appreciate your opinions on this one and will probably remove this rezzie for lunch. I only need 2 big meals a day, that one was just too much.

Then again, lunch may be a good, less expensive way to experience Le Cellier. It took 4 trips before I was able to finally get a dinner reservation. I don’t know if I played it up so much, but was quite disappointed. You defintely would want to try it for its atmosphere, but the steak was little to desire. I’ve had much better meat quality at other locations. So, I think lunch would be a good idea. I could make a meal out of the cheese soup and a salad!

We have only been able to get it for lunch, and it worked out quite well for us. By the time you get there, you’ve built up quite an appetite if you didn’t eat like a king for breakfast. We’ve always been pleased with the food and the service!

We did lunch our first time eating at Le Cellier and it was great. Other than having our big meal at lunch everything worked out. We did a counter service later in the day.

Soundgod mentioned Yachtsman’s Steakhouse. I have never been ther but my DW and DS were there last Christmas and were very disapointed with their meals and the service. I’m sure that is not the norm but when your charged two credits you should not come away with a (bad taste in your mouth) LOL. They said their BEST meal and service was Chef De France and they got to meet Remy…

I had a Le Cellier ADR that I was tring to give to someone cause we were not going to use it. It is for June 9 at 5:00. I don’t think you can use it,or can you? It looks like you will be arriving there later than that.

We had lunch at Le Cellier last year. It worked out great for us. We had a light breakfast, ate lunch around 3:00 and still had room for desserts in France at the end of the day. We enjoyed the meal but as others have said it does seem to be a little overrated. Probably because of the one credit deal. We scored a 8:05 dinner this year and are looking forward to it. Luckly Epcot is open late that night so we will have time to walk some of it off.:laugh:

We did LeCellier for lunch this year by choice, not by availability, and we loved it!
We had the filet mignon and mashed potatoes with the mushroom sauce, oh my mouth waters just thinking of it! It was fabulous!
We like to do TS for lunch rather than dinner sometimes. We are usually on DDP, but the cost of the meal is less, so our tip is less as well (saves a bit of money over the course of a week or two!) We like that we have a more filling meal at lunch and then we require less to eat later in the day. Also, we don’t always want to commit to staying in a park until dinner-time so lunch works well for us!
Le Cellier is definately a must-do at least once to see for yourself…and ask for Patrick if he’s available as your waiter, he made the meal even more amazing!!

See, that is the “magic” of Disney. We have had a great meal at Chefs De France and we had a REALLY bad one there. Our first meal was beautifully presented, friendly service, etc. Our last meal there 3 years ago was cold, obviously pre-prepared and frozen, and the wait staff was pretty horrible.

With Disney, you just never know what you are going to get. Generally you have to just have a “wait and see” attitude. I am eager to try Le Cellier, I am right now ready to flip a coin and see if it stays on our ADR’s…

That same day we already have Chef Mickey’s at 7:35am and Rose and Crown at 8:30pm. Hmmm, may be too much food.

Regarding Yachtsman’s, both Boss Mouse and I ate there the same night and at the same time. Funny thing, we tried to meet up two days earlier and missed. This was our last day and we were literally leaving for home after dinner. I’d penciled in Yachtsman’s for that night and dropped in the reservation that morning. Neither Boss nor I knew we were planning to be there that night and wound up being 15 minutes apart. We didn’t dine together and were in separate zones with different waiters, yet we both had enjoyable meals.
Brit, I’m a little surprised your experience wasn’t similar, but everyone does have an off night and sometimes our taste buds don’t cooperate either. Something could taste perfectly good and still, to any one individual, it could still taste off, especially if you aren’t happy with your service or if you’ve had a stressful day. And bad experiences are contagious inside any group of people.

CJ mentions that he’s had mixed experience at Chefs. I’ve eaten there once and found it uninspired and pedestrian. Service was simply median. Then again, it was on a December 31 at 5:30 PM, so that might have something to do with it too. That said, I will give them another try another time and I won’t rip on Chefs like I rip on Nine Dragons, but so far, I’m not impressed either.

[QUOTE=cjtownman;1031074]See, that is the “magic” of Disney. We have had a great meal at Chefs De France and we had a REALLY bad one there. Our first meal was beautifully presented, friendly service, etc. Our last meal there 3 years ago was cold, obviously pre-prepared and frozen, and the wait staff was pretty horrible.

With Disney, you just never know what you are going to get. Generally you have to just have a “wait and see” attitude. I am eager to try Le Cellier, I am right now ready to flip a coin and see if it stays on our ADR’s…

That same day we already have Chef Mickey’s at 7:35am and Rose and Crown at 8:30pm. Hmmm, may be too much food.[/QUOTE]

Chefs de France went through a really bad patch a few years ago when the dining plan came in. The same thing happened to us. Then, a couple of years later we decided to give it another try and it was great again. Since then we’ve gone every year and it has been consistently good.

We do love LeCellier - I’ve never had a bad meal there and the steak tastes like “home” to us. There is a subtle difference in taste between American and Canadian beef - presumably because of the difference in feed - and we love to have a taste of home when we’re at WDW.

It’d be really cool if you could get Kobe beef in popular cuts somewhere in WDW (Japanese steakhouse anyone?)

(Where did he come up with that? I don’t know, one minute we’re talking about Canadian beef and the next…)

There was a time where CM’s would stand out in World Showcase and tell you The Cellar was open, Then the dining plan hit and it became a classic. No one was going there pre DDP, and the menu is smaller now.

Chef’s was a big bummer for me in 2008. Food was ok, service just ok and a 45 minute wait with an ADR out in the heat. Maybe I’ll try it again sometime.

[QUOTE=Soundgod;1031090]
Brit, I’m a little surprised your experience wasn’t similar, but everyone does have an off night and sometimes our taste buds don’t cooperate either. Something could taste perfectly good and still, to any one individual, it could still taste off, especially if you aren’t happy with your service or if you’ve had a stressful day. And bad experiences are contagious inside any group of people.[/QUOTE]

Your 100% correct Soundgod and that is why I mentioned that I’m sure its not the norm. We also ate at Yorkshire Fish and chips one afternoon. out of three meals we ordered one of them we had to be return for a replacement. We all agreed that it was not good. Every once in a while you get a meal that is not what it normally is. It even happens at my favorite resturants where I live.

[QUOTE=bribren;1031240]There was a time where CM’s would stand out in World Showcase and tell you The Cellar was open, Then the dining plan hit and it became a classic. No one was going there pre DDP, and the menu is smaller now.

Chef’s was a big bummer for me in 2008. Food was ok, service just ok and a 45 minute wait with an ADR out in the heat. Maybe I’ll try it again sometime.[/QUOTE]

The shrinking menu has been a complaint of mine for several years now. Le Cellier isn’t the only instance, this is a worldwide phenomenon. They’ve cut back virtually every menu at every sit down in WDW since they implemented the dining plan in 2005, starting with lobster.
Funny thing about the time we went to Chefs. Even though it was Dec 31 and our reservation was 5:30, I really don’t think we had to wait much more than 10-15 minutes. And you know they were churning parties in and out as fast as they could.

[QUOTE=Soundgod;1031226]It’d be really cool if you could get Kobe beef in popular cuts somewhere in WDW (Japanese steakhouse anyone?)

(Where did he come up with that? I don’t know, one minute we’re talking about Canadian beef and the next…)[/QUOTE]

I’ve had Kobe beef - I was so excited to try it - and well - I didn’t like it. It was the texture - it was so odd - creamy almost. Not a good, tender steak - almost sort of like the texture of devilled ham. That’s actually what it reminded me of.

I suppose that’s what they’re going for - but to me it just felt weird in my mouth. (I have a problem with textures, I do admit). Anyway for the price (I wasn’t paying, thank goodness) I didn’t think it was so special. I wouldn’t try it again.

Lunch at Le Cellier sounds like a good call. DW and I had lunch there Jan. '09 and it was nice, not thrilling but nice.

I, too am with SG and would be very happy if WDW opened up a Japanese steakhouse in oh, I don’t know, Japan :slight_smile:

Well, despite the good advice. My wife canceled LC last night and Rose and Crown on the same day and made us reservations for Tutto Italia. We have never been there and she read it was a top 10 restaurant and wanted to try it.

Man, I am going to LC one day!