Leaving For The CS Spring 2010!

I got accepted to the WDW CareerStart Program for Spring 2010!
I leave in February.
I see that a few people have lots of questions/concerns about the program. I have followed this program for years and now am doing it, so I have ALOT of knowledge on the program.
And I know from experience that info can be hard to find on this program.

Or CP questions because the programs are pretty much the same, and I also know a lot about that program as well.

So if anyone has any questions for me, go ahead! :]
I’m always happy to help!

:peterpan:

Good luck to you!!! I’m totally supportive of you participating in Career Start Program. Your enthusiasm for all things Disney will bring you lots of success.

If I have any advice for you it is this: Don’t forget about going to college to earn a degree. Your college degree is something that once you earn it, it is yours, and it can never be taken from you. Also if you are serious about a real career with Disney it is a valuable asset. I know a lot of people who did the CS/CP and didn’t finish college. Many are sorry they didn’t finish or are working full time while trying to finish their degrees.

I think the Career Start program is a great thing for someone who is really wanting to work at WDW right away. You are going to love it!!! It’s the journey that will change you!!!

I totally agree with what Valerie said. I quit college for a year after my CP and then transferred to UCF once I was a Florida resident. It is SO SO SO much harder doing school and working for Disney and the degree is so valuable for both working at Disney and working other places! You will have an amazing experience with career start. . .enjoy every minute!

Congratulations!!! :happy::happy::happy:

I may have asked you this before but is CS like CP where you get a role - Attractions, Merchandise, etc.? Just curious how you’ll be living the dream… :wub:

Congratulations!!!

[QUOTE=vlogilvie;1001740]Good luck to you!!! I’m totally supportive of you participating in Career Start Program. Your enthusiasm for all things Disney will bring you lots of success.

If I have any advice for you it is this: Don’t forget about going to college to earn a degree. Your college degree is something that once you earn it, it is yours, and it can never be taken from you. Also if you are serious about a real career with Disney it is a valuable asset. I know a lot of people who did the CS/CP and didn’t finish college. Many are sorry they didn’t finish or are working full time while trying to finish their degrees.

I think the Career Start program is a great thing for someone who is really wanting to work at WDW right away. You are going to love it!!! It’s the journey that will change you!!![/QUOTE]

Oh yes, of course! College is DEFINITELY my next stop. :] And I plan on doing the CP once I’m enrolled in school. My dream is to work professional for the WDW resorts. Possibly Imagineering! I basically just want to do the CS to get a little bit of fun out of my system before college! It’s like taking a year, without actually not doing something for a year! It’ll be great for my resume and hopefully be a foot in the door to the WDW company! And thank you for your advice! I agree with you a lot. It’s best to just get your education now while your young. Because the older you get the more obstacles that will arise in life to make it harder for you to be able to go back to school. I’ve always been academic though, so I don’t think it’ll be a problem for me. I’m getting a teaching degree as well, so I’ll be in school the rest of my life! HA!

Thank you again! Your encouragement means a lot! And I’m excited to have LOTS of stories to share with all of you! :peterpan:

I can only imagine how hard that would be to juggle the two! Thank you for your advice! I’m excited about the program. :] My first big adventure in the Disney career front!

[QUOTE=PrincessJill;1001848]Congratulations!!! :happy::happy::happy:

I may have asked you this before but is CS like CP where you get a role - Attractions, Merchandise, etc.? Just curious how you’ll be living the dream… :wub:[/QUOTE]

Yes, CP and CS are essentially the same program! With a few minor alterations. CP is obviously for college and graduate students, which CP is for people who have graduated hs within 2 years and have not decided on what to do. Whether to begin working or to go to college. Although, I already know I want to go to college, I think the program will help me get a jist of living in FL and working for the Big Cheese himself! :]

Also, the CP has a few more role options than CS. Such as CPers can be characters, CS cannot. CPers can work in the Vacation Planning office, CS cannot. ETC! lol.

My role is Merchandise!

[QUOTE=StaceyDarling!;1001992]Yes, CP and CS are essentially the same program! With a few minor alterations. CP is obviously for college and graduate students, which CP is for people who have graduated hs within 2 years and have not decided on what to do. Whether to begin working or to go to college. Although, I already know I want to go to college, I think the program will help me get a jist of living in FL and working for the Big Cheese himself! :]

Also, the CP has a few more role options than CS. Such as CPers can be characters, CS cannot. CPers can work in the Vacation Planning office, CS cannot. ETC! lol.

My role is Merchandise![/QUOTE]

Awesome! Merchandise seems like a pretty sweet deal. :cool:
Have a great time! I’m so happy for you!! Please keep in touch and let us know how it’s going! :happy:

[QUOTE=PrincessJill;1002006]Awesome! Merchandise seems like a pretty sweet deal. :cool:
Have a great time! I’m so happy for you!! Please keep in touch and let us know how it’s going! :happy:[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I’m excited about it! Attractions and Merch for me where tied. I’m glad I got Merch though. Because there were only a few places I wanted to work at and I had a lot more merch places I wanted to work! Plus, you get more time with the customers. So I’m pretty excited. I hope I get Fantasyland, because I’m really good with little kids! lol.

I will def keep you guys updated, I’m planning on doing a vlog as well, so that should be fun!

Stacy, when are you arriving. My DD Kate also got merchandising and she picked Feb. 1 arrrival.

My CP was in Merchandise. It was pretty great because most of the time you had a lot of time to chat with the guests and for the most part you didn’t deal with irate people. There’s not much that can get someone worked up while they are just buying a t-shirt.

You will love it!

[QUOTE=KarenWDWCP;1002420]My CP was in Merchandise. It was pretty great because most of the time you had a lot of time to chat with the guests and for the most part you didn’t deal with irate people. There’s not much that can get someone worked up while they are just buying a t-shirt.

You will love it![/QUOTE]

So true!!!:laugh: Merchandise is not a bad gig at all. I did Merchandise for my CP also. I was at Old Key West.

My arrival is atually Feb. 8th. That was the soonest one available to me! Well tell her maybe I’ll see her down there! Haha! Be sure to let me know what role she gets within the Merchandising! :]

[QUOTE=KarenWDWCP;1002420]My CP was in Merchandise. It was pretty great because most of the time you had a lot of time to chat with the guests and for the most part you didn’t deal with irate people. There’s not much that can get someone worked up while they are just buying a t-shirt.

You will love it![/QUOTE]

Haha, thats what I’m excited about. The guest interaction! Where did you work for Merch? I hope I get Fantasyland hopefull, because it’s mainly families with young children, and I am veryyy good with little ones! :]

I worked in DHS (which was still MGM at the time, haha!) on Hollywood Blvd. My main location was Keystone Clothiers which was adult apparel, watches and hats. But we also worked in two hub carts in front of the Chinese Theater, did parade control and occassionally worked Fantasmic (both the carts and walking around with the tray of light swords, etc) Shortly after I left, they rezoned everything on Hollywood Blvd so I think the area assignments are different.

I really wanted to work in MK but ended up loving working in the Studios. The streetmosphere actors would often come into our store and cause a ruckus or just chit chat in character. It was so fun.

Congrats, Stacey!!!:wub::wub: You will have so much fun. Like my sig says, I served fast food in the MK for 6 months, and even THAT was really fun.

And yes, finish school. I really enjoyed my program, and while I wished I could just up and leave all my stress and go back to work there, I’m really glad I didn’t and earned a degree. (My time spent in Florida actually pushed me in the direction of art; sometimes your job choice is totally unexpected and non-sequitor, but Disney definitely helped!) Who knows, maybe I’ll work there again someday.

If you work at HS, AK or MK, have fun answering the question: “What time is the 3oclock parade?”

Sometimes we’d say “2:60”. :laugh:

People get worked up in QSFB…“I’m hungry, my kids are hungry, gimme my change and gimme my chicken sammich!” :pinch: But it still had its moments. Like just standing there and handing out stickers!!:heart: Even running the trays was nice; I could stop and talk to guests at my leisure.

Hey Stacey I was just curious if you were going to take any of the program classes or are just going to work. If you ARE taking classes which ones?

Congrats to you Stacey! I know how badly you wanted to do this as you have been posting about it for a long time. I wish you the best. I wish I knew about these programs when I got out of high school or was attending college…it would have been so cool to do that.

Well thank you so much!! :] I know, I am lucky! It’s an amazing oppurtunity!