Let's talk 'old school' EPCOT Center

This is one of my FAVORITE Disney topics; the irony here though is that since I was born in '78 I was just a little kid during EPCOT’s 1980’s glory days & I HATED when my Grandparents made me stay in EPCOT Center all day. :laugh: I always wanted to be in the MK, I didn’t really start appreciating EPCOT until I was a teenager & I SWARE that had nothing to do with all the cute International boys. :laugh:

Anyway, I have TONS & TONS of old EPCOT memories & things that I miss, so let’s share. Pictures, videos, memories, etc.

There’s SO much to talk about, little things & big attractions!

I know this sounds funny but I TOTALLY miss the counter service place called “Pasta Piazza.” It was located in the building where ‘Club Cool’ & the Character Connection now sit. Their pasta was REALLY good & back in the day when ‘table service’ dinners weren’t an everyday thing while in WDW we’d go here for a great hearty meal. I remember all these cool colorful dots all over the ceiling.

[thanks “Lost EPCOT” for the pics]

I remember my father making dinner reservations at Guest services, via a wall phone. I suppose that’s not overly earth-shattering, but in this day and age of 90-day out ressies, it’s kinda weird, in a good way.

I also remember walking by the area that would become The Seas and seeing the construction “walls” painted in aquas and blues with signs telling what was being built (the giant tanks) and how guests would be able to scuba dive in it. I remember really wanting to do that. Have I? Nope. Oh well.

And FIGMENT!!! I couldn’t leave the park without a pink Figment ball cap.

[QUOTE=dznycropper;976778]I remember my father making dinner reservations at Guest services, via a wall phone. I suppose that’s not overly earth-shattering, but in this day and age of 90-day out ressies, it’s kinda weird, in a good way.

[/QUOTE]

YES! I loved talking to those people over the video phones. I remember the ones that were closer to the German pavillion (now houses that German glass kiosk) but I don’t think we ever actually made dining arrangements with them, I would just talk to them. :laugh:

I wish I could find a picture of those.

I don’t have any stories to share as my first trip to Epcot was in 2005. But i look forward to hearing your stories and seeing your pictures…

Of course one of the things I miss most, besides the obvious WoM & Horizons, was the IMAGE WORKS!!! After the Imagination ride I’d spend SOOOO much time in Image Works! I miss the old Sensor tunnel (my favorite), the really huge “pin tables” where you’d put your hand under & make them move, the giant kaleidescopes, the stepping tones, & OH OH OH I used to wait in line forever just to play with those giant “coloring books” high up on the ceiling. Remember you’d touch the color & point your brush at the coloring spot high up & it would light up the color you chose. :laugh:

I have to say that it was ABSOLUTELY devestating going into Image Works a couple years ago when we did that EPCOT behind the scenes tour, a lot of that old stuff is there but it’s a WRECK up there & everything is just sitting around unused & in disrepair. I wanted to take the old Sensor tunnel home. :sad:

One of my favorite things to do when I was younger at EPCOT was go into the upstairs section of Journey into Imagination and play with all the cool interactive stuff that they had there.

Two years ago, while standing outside the Imagination building, my DH and I were approached by a CM wanting to know if we would take part in a study for the development of a new attraction they were working on for Innoventions. After walking through all they dark hallways and stairwells we were taken to this giant room. I couldn’t believe my eyes, but right there in the room was the neon light rainbow tunnel that you used to be able to walk through. It was a nice flashback to my childhood and all the fun times I had with my family up there.

These were the best! :laugh:

I don’t know how many pictures I have, unfortunately after my Grandma passes I think my Mom might have lost a lot of them. :sad: I should go through some of my old boxes & look.

Yup, we got to go up there recently too, I was DEVESTATED! :pinch: What I wouldn’t give for one more run through that rainbow tunnel! :sad:

[QUOTE=WishUponAStar;976784]Of course one of the things I miss most, besides the obvious WoM & Horizons, was the IMAGE WORKS!!! After the Imagination ride I’d spend SOOOO much time in Image Works! I miss the old Sensor tunnel (my favorite), the really huge “pin tables” where you’d put your hand under & make them move, the giant kaleidescopes, the stepping tones, & OH OH OH I used to wait in line forever just to play with those giant “coloring books” high up on the ceiling. Remember you’d touch the color & point your brush at the coloring spot high up & it would light up the color you chose. :laugh:

I have to say that it was ABSOLUTELY devestating going into Image Works a couple years ago when we did that EPCOT behind the scenes tour, a lot of that old stuff is there but it’s a WRECK up there & everything is just sitting around unused & in disrepair. I wanted to take the old Sensor tunnel home. :sad:[/QUOTE]

Seeing this picture now makes me think of this really great picture I have of myself and a good friend from highschool standing in the tunnel. I am going to go see if I can find it now.

Please do! :biggrin:

Ditto. My first time at EPCOT was in '07. I can’t wait to go back and spend more time there though. I’d love to hear more about it’s earlier years. :wink:

OH MY GOD!! The Hydrolators from The Living Seas!! Remember how they would shake like crazy & all the bubbles would come up. The pre-movie was INSANELY boring but we’d watch it everytime. :tongue: I really did love the old Living Seas ride & pavillion

haha, going to SEABASE ALPHA!!

OK I love this thread.

Everytime we go into the Seas, I tell whoever I am with that it rained and rained and rained and the sea was born because for some reason I remember that part of that stupid movie very vividly.

[QUOTE=PeterPansPixie;976796]OK I love this thread.

Everytime we go into the Seas, I tell whoever I am with that it rained and rained and rained and the sea was born because for some reason I remember that part of that stupid movie very vividly.[/QUOTE]

OMG, it rained for like 14 stinkin’ hours in that movie! :sleeping:

Look what I found on eBay!!! An old Horizons ride vehicle! But $14,000, really??? Kinda insane! I’d love to have it [to put where I have no idea] but not even for a QUARTER of that price!! Sheesh!

Disney EPCOT Center Horizons Retired Ride Vehicle - eBay (item 250357927502 end time Aug-13-09 09:34:32 PDT)

Was there a submarine ride at Epcot? I remember that from a trip in the early nineties but can’t remember where it was.

There was 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea in the Magic Kingdom but it closed in 1994. I guess the closest thing in EPCOT was inside the que area of the Living Seas they had displays of REALLY old diving equipment & some submarine pics, 20,000 Leagues props, etc.