Liberty Inn

We stopped for lunch at Liberty Inn at Epcot last trip - it was too cold to dine outside and once again I thought “what a waste of beautiful space.” Does anyone else think this could be turned into a terrific restaurant. I wonder why they would build such a gorgeous pavillion and then put such a mediocre counterservice in it. If it were me I’d change it to a table-service with regional American food. New Orleans, New England, etc. Anyone agree?

I totally agree. The restaurant is so nice yet the food isn’t. I like your idea, they could showcase food from different regions of the US and really show off some really good food.

I have always thought that. I cannot understand how Mickey D’s got in there. Is it really as American as apple pie?

I can see all sorts of different regional cuisine in there. I could even see a buffet with something from all over the states.

What a great idea! It would be great to have a table service restaurant there.

Yes! Why not a Mickey character meal? After all, he is the greatest American… and a total american institution.

ooohhh…i know!!! Character meal, Mickey & friends with Baseball Uniforms on!!!
I would love it!

But I’d still like a CS thing maybe like they have at germany. We never eat a bacon cheese burger except at disney.

I’d put a hot dog/hamburger/apple pie kiosk outside to make up for a counter-service.

Multi-cultural dining would be awesome, esp considering America is such a multi-cultural country. Something we see at the Harrah’s here is a 10 bar buffet with a cajun, mexican, seafood, italian, asian, homestyle, bbq, dessert, soup, salad bar etc etc, you get the picture. Really shows off the talents of the chef’s to be able to put all those ethnics together. If America was able to do something like that I really don’t think it would take away from the other countries but rather add to it with a type of sampling of what the rest of the showcase could offer.

[QUOTE=tinkfans;1025510]ooohhh…i know!!! Character meal, Mickey & friends with Baseball Uniforms on!!!
I would love it![/QUOTE]

Tinkfans, BRILLIANT idea. Make it a nice place with GOOD Kansas City/Memphis/Carolina style barbecues, steak, hamburgers, mashed potatoes, southern gravy and cornbread, black eyed peas, meatloaf, a few California style dishes with only one dessert choice: The perfect homemade apple pie with ice cream.

That would be the best restaurant there.

Heck, you could just make it the perfect eclectic barbecue restaurant with GOOD barbecue and it would be perfect.

yes, exactly like that.

I agree…
To be honest I have never even been inside the American Pavillion. They should revoke my citizenship.

[QUOTE=cjtownman;1025535]Tinkfans, BRILLIANT idea. Make it a nice place with GOOD Kansas City/Memphis/Carolina style barbecues, steak, hamburgers, mashed potatoes, southern gravy and cornbread, black eyed peas, meatloaf, a few California style dishes with only one dessert choice: The perfect homemade apple pie with ice cream.

That would be the best restaurant there.

Heck, you could just make it the perfect eclectic barbecue restaurant with GOOD barbecue and it would be perfect.[/QUOTE]

OK… I was thinking elegant dining room, fine California wines, an electic sophisticated menu:blink::blink: …but that would work too.:laugh:

[QUOTE=cinderbella;1025558]I agree…
To be honest I have never even been inside the American Pavillion. They should revoke my citizenship.[/QUOTE]

:laugh: Bella it’s a beautiful building it really is. I have to say we always eat there for a quick CS lunch- as that part of Epcot is our favourite.

Actually, there’s quite a back-story to the whole American pavilion. As Epcot was originally designed the US pavilion was supposed to be the flagship of all the World Showcase pavilions. There was to have been an elaborate ride/show, an upscale steakhouse restaurant on the 2nd floor, and a small counter service location at ground level.

To make a very long story short, both the ride and the steakhouse were scrapped due to budget concerns, sponsorship issues, as well as concerns voiced by other countries who were being asked to fork over large sums of money and who didn’t want to be overshadowed by the American pavilion. The counter service restaurant then grew substantially in size to take up the excess floor space from the canceled features.

I’ve always thought it quite displeasing to have the American pavilion to be so anti-climatic compared to those of the other countries. I’m at a loss to explain why a better eatery has not been built there, especially considering the dining capacity issues that constantly plague Epcot.

llamarama, I love the idea! And as many places as there are at EC to eat, I still sometimes find myself wanting something new, and this would be perfect!

Love the ideas of a character meal with them in baseball uniforms. I have often wondered why it was a counter service too. Maybe the will consider it in the future. I am sure the keep up with what we want.

Maybe i can submit my ‘idea’ to Disney and they will give me some sort of ‘reward’ for such a great idea!! :eek::laugh::laugh:

wishful thinking i know…one can dream though!:whistling

[QUOTE=Turnwrench;1025634]Actually, there’s quite a back-story to the whole American pavilion. As Epcot was originally designed the US pavilion was supposed to be the flagship of all the World Showcase pavilions. There was to have been an elaborate ride/show, an upscale steakhouse restaurant on the 2nd floor, and a small counter service location at ground level.

To make a very long story short, both the ride and the steakhouse were scrapped due to budget concerns, sponsorship issues, as well as concerns voiced by other countries who were being asked to fork over large sums of money and who didn’t want to be overshadowed by the American pavilion. The counter service restaurant then grew substantially in size to take up the excess floor space from the canceled features.

I’ve always thought it quite displeasing to have the American pavilion to be so anti-climatic compared to those of the other countries. I’m at a loss to explain why a better eatery has not been built there, especially considering the dining capacity issues that constantly plague Epcot.[/QUOTE]

Hey now, that’s an interesting story, but Epcot is 20 some years old now and it’s time to do a little revamping in there. I was in the restaurant part of that pavilion only once because one of the CM’s next door saw our anniversary buttons and dragged us all the way over to the restaurant to get a special Mickey rice crispy treat (my first rice crispy treat ever)

c’mon now?!?! seriously?!! :huh: