'Live' reports from the parks today (1/10); WOW, what in the crowd is going on?

One of my good friends is departing WDW this morning but all week he was giving me pretty horrendous reports about how busy it was. I know Marathon Weekend has always been pretty busy but the reports I am hearing this year seem to be totally OOC. What’s the deal, aren’t all the kidlets back in school by now?

If you go to the “Daily Disney” section of the Orlando Sentinel online they keep a ‘real time’ flow box of ‘tweets’ related to WDW.

[B]As of this A.M. (Sunday, 1/10) these are some of the current tweets:[/B]

• msproductions: Monorail at Disney at Magic Kingdom is closing off cars 1,2&3 to allow hotels priority. Long wait for hotel monorail.

• therealjenmarks: disney is overcrowded. buses won’t even take you to the park directly. we are now taking the monorail to the magic kingdom.

• SusieNotSusan The GPS is useless on Disney property. It led us to the freaking Magic Kingdom ?parking lot, where everything is blocked off.

[B]And speaking of the weather in WDW[/B]

• djdavies75: #wdw Impromptu hot chocoloate stands set up all over Magic Kingdom today, including $4.50 souvenir mugs. Cha-ching for Disney

• littlepig1 @CharlotteK: wow is it really snowing in Disney??? #snowflakes magic kingdom

• Ajanelewis: Starting off the day at the waffle house then heading to epcot! Wearing 4 layers today, hope I don’t get frostbite… #disney

Frostbite in Disney? I may have to go sign up for updates.

The GPS did the same thing to us in July!:laugh: We ended up in the employee parking lot and had to figure out how to get back out and around the blocked roadways.

I never totally rely on our GPS. Once it told us to turn into the river!!:huh::laugh::rolleyes:

It has certainly gone Disney Crazy this year more so than previous years I think. Something like this could potentially turn people off of coming to WDW for future vacations. Concerning

Well, I hope things slow down and warm up a bit in 11 days!!! I would be so bummed if it was cold and crowded.:frown:

In keeping with my New Years Resolution, I will keep reapeating the following…

“I will positively believe that it will be warm and not crowded!”:angel::pinch::laugh:

[QUOTE=mickeymotto;1012411]Well, I hope things slow down and warm up a bit in 11 days!!! I would be so bummed if it was cold and crowded.:frown:

In keeping with my New Years Resolution, I will keep reapeating the following…

“I will positively believe that it will be warm and not crowded!”:angel::pinch::laugh:[/QUOTE]

I like your attitude Mickeymotto and I truly hope it pays off for you. I will be doing your ‘chant’ myself at the end of March but by all accounts I fear I am going to be in trouble whatever I do. I believe I have hit your spring break time and am going to have endless groups of annoyance surrounding me!!! I think you know what I mean?!? :eek:

Oh I do!:laugh: However, atleast you can be assured it will be warm. Actually its a great time weather wise and you have to remember you can always escape the crowds by spending time at the pool. Spending time at the pool in the afternoons is one of the highlights of every trip for us.:happy: (one of the reasons I am a bit worried this trip for us)

“I will positively believe that it will be warm and not crowded!”:laugh:

[QUOTE=mickeymotto;1012422]Oh I do!:laugh: However, atleast you can be assured it will be warm. Actually its a great time weather wise and you have to remember you can always escape the crowds by spending time at the pool. Spending time at the pool in the afternoons is one of the highlights of every trip for us.:happy: (one of the reasons I am a bit worried this trip for us)

“I will positively believe that it will be warm and not crowded!”:laugh:[/QUOTE]

true…and we did say this time around we would take more ‘time out’ days. It is only that my cousin is coming with me this time around on her 1st ever trip to WDW and infact the US so I want her to come away thinking it’s magical and not thinking she would never come back there.

I feel for you though with the weather as it is now. I will keep everything crossed for you honey. Pixie dust for an improvement!

I have to admitt that it was a bit chilly while I was there, but hardly enough to get frost-bite. Sounds like a bit of over-drama with that, but I can one can be sensative to frost-bite.

The crowds on Thursday night were very light…I was able to get the three major attractions at Epcot done in a matter of two hours with MS taking an hour of it due to technical difficulties.

I can imagine the crowds hot heavier on Friday and the traffic was a bit thicker as we were leaving for the airport.

It’s not that over dramatic.
Last night we had actual ice warnings in effect because the temps were forecast to drop to 31 overnight. Even now at 5 PM, it’s 45, but feels like it’s 40 and extreme wind chill warnings are in effect between 7 PM and 10 AM tomorrow morning. There was sleet and snow flurries in Tampa yesterday.
Orlando is 44 right now but feels like 38. Overnight lows are forecast to drop to 24, so yes, there is a real possibility for frostbite in WDW tomorrow morning with wind chill and freeze warnings in effect! It is much colder this weekend than it was during the week all across Florida.

It is going to get down to 24 tonight in Orlando. It has been cold and breezy most of the day. The sun was out but as it dropped the air temp followed quickly.

I feel sorry for anyone that came down for a vacation.

Yikes…24 degrees?

You have to remember: the humidity in FL that makes it feel even hotter in summer is still there in the winter, making the cold feel even colder.

[QUOTE=WishUponAStar;1012380]

• msproductions: Monorail at Disney at Magic Kingdom is closing off cars 1,2&3 to allow hotels priority. Long wait for hotel monorail.

• therealjenmarks: disney is overcrowded. buses won’t even take you to the park directly. we are now taking the monorail to the magic kingdom.

• SusieNotSusan The GPS is useless on Disney property. It led us to the freaking Magic Kingdom ?parking lot, where everything is blocked off.

And speaking of the weather in WDW

• djdavies75: #wdw Impromptu hot chocoloate stands set up all over Magic Kingdom today, including $4.50 souvenir mugs. Cha-ching for Disney

• littlepig1 @CharlotteK: wow is it really snowing in Disney??? #snowflakes magic kingdom

• Ajanelewis: Starting off the day at the waffle house then heading to epcot! Wearing 4 layers today, hope I don’t get frostbite… #disney[/QUOTE]

Sounds like a bunch of Universal fans… LOL!

But seriously, I say BALONEY. Take these tweets with a grain of salt. We were there last week, and true it was super cold (It was cold. And we had none of our warm stuff, so we were really caught off guard.) But even on New Years, we did NOT experience the crowding that these people are describing. Sounds like a bunch of people who are not familiar with high and low crowds, so any time they see a group fo people, they freak. You know, like the people who panic when their wait at Soarin’ is 20 minutes: “they expect us to wait 20 minutes for a ride? Give me a break!” That kind of panic from people who have never experienced the joy of a REAL crowd (like 180 minutes for Space).

Haha… I am very amused by the tweets. My favorite is the one that criticizes Disney for setting up the hot chocolate stands. What an goofball.

And p.s. tweeters, even Disney magic can’t control Mother Nature. when it’s cold, it’s cold. So these tweeters need to bundle up instead of tweeting…

Jess, just curious. Does the “Daily Disney” section of hte Sentinel seem to focus on the negative, or is it pretty even-handed?

True that! We have been really grateful that our trip, while COLD, was warmer than if we had traveled a week later!

[QUOTE=MissDisney;1012540]Sounds like a bunch of Universal fans… LOL!

But seriously, I say BALONEY. Take these tweets with a grain of salt. We were there last week, and true it was super cold (It was cold. And we had none of our warm stuff, so we were really caught off guard.) But even on New Years, we did NOT experience the crowding that these people are describing. Sounds like a bunch of people who are not familiar with high and low crowds, so any time they see a group fo people, they freak. You know, like the people who panic when their wait at Soarin’ is 20 minutes: “they expect us to wait 20 minutes for a ride? Give me a break!” That kind of panic from people who have never experienced the joy of a REAL crowd (like 180 minutes for Space).[/QUOTE]

Completly agree here! It really irks me when walking around the parks and I hear people complaining about ride waits and the busses etc, 9 times out of 10, it turns out they have never been to WDW before. I would love to see how theyd cope at one of our theme parks over here, something like Alton Towers - now theres some wait times to complain about.

[QUOTE=ddoll;1012536]Yikes…24 degrees?

You have to remember: the humidity in FL that makes it feel even hotter in summer is still there in the winter, making the cold feel even colder.[/QUOTE]

You would think so but the humidity has dropped and not only is it cold but we are under a fire danger alert because it is so dry. You take the humidity out and Florida quickly becomes a tinder box.

It has been cold. My poor heat pump can’t keep up but I wouldn’t trade these few days for the months of cold I had to put up with living up north.

[QUOTE=MissDisney;1012541]Haha… I am very amused by the tweets. My favorite is the one that criticizes Disney for setting up the hot chocolate stands. What an goofball.
?[/QUOTE]

I think the idea of Hot chocolate stands is awesome. I mean…you are not being forced to buy the stuff are ya?! Don’t like the cost…keep on walking!:laugh: I would happily part with the $$ for a cup o cocoa!!!

Hot chocolate is a great idea! Mmmmm…Nothing like hot chocolate to make the cold bearable!

Warm weather is coming!! By Friday we are going to be back to the high 70s YAHOO!!! I’ve been FREEZING!! Brrrr.

I’ve been in Disney with the out-of-towners, and they just don’t believe it can get THAT COLD in Fl . . . but it can for sure!! :eek:

My co-worker was in Disney this weekend and she said it was PACKED!!

1. She couldn’t find a resort to stay at ANYWHERE! She ended up at the Marriot in DTD.

2. Even in the pouring/sleeting rain on Saturday she said there were still wait times for some of the rides! :eek:

I think it was the marathon? Not sure . . . but I spoke to Disney just the other night to book DDs trip, and the CM I spoke too said New Years to MLK Birthday is busy, then it dies down until Spring Break!

I feel bad for all the people looking for the Florida Sunshine . . . these last few weeks it hasn’t been that AT ALL!! :glare: