"Lizard Turtle"

Decided won’t do the traditional trip report for my April 30th trip, but just a couple of highlights. One of them was what we kept referring to throughout the trip as the lizard turtle. We were heading from Beach Club through Epcot to hit the monorail first thing in the morning. It was totally empty in the back of Epcot, as they had just opened, when I spotted a family looking at something, but then walked away. When we got to that spot, I saw exactly what they were looking at:

As we were looking at him, a CM walked up and said he just called a couple of departments to get someone out here to see what he was, as in all the years he had been working there, never saw one like this. The turtle was very fast in moving, and when he got under the flowers, he jumped up, straight in the air, like Michael Jordan!:laugh: A couple other people walked up now, and got real close in taking pictures, even though the CM told them to keep a bit of distance between themselves as we didn’t know what we were looking at. Couldn’t believe right after he said that a Mom had her 3 year old toddler get real close to take a picture. Me and my mouth told the Mom it wasn’t a good idea to have her child that close. She looked at me like I was nuts and walked away. I just don’t get people. Where’s the common sense?

Then he started walking away before anyone showed from the CM’s request. I really had hoped to hear what an animal professional would have said about him. Very curious. Who knows, maybe someone here would know.

I have no idea, but I’m a little creeped out! It’s like an alien turtle!

This trip was my annual Me, my Mom and Sister trip. We really had an animal theme going on this time. We had a first floor room at Beach Club which we really loved. Ducks, Lizards, Bunnys and even a snake were our neighbors the entire week:

We even made it over to Ft. Wilderness to look at the horses. I asked about the rumors with the stables going away from that area, and she said that its been a rumor for about a year, and nothing has happened yet. Although, the barn is 40 years old and would be okay for a new one to be built:

I believe that is a Fly River tortuise. They look alot alike.

That is a Florida soft-shell turtle. They are in water by Pop Century (gang of them) and we were feeding last summer while we were there. They eat meat and are very aggressive.

Oh, well NOW I’m just going to freak out about them!

That is a creepy turtle!

That’s a soft-shelled turtle. They hiss a lot and seem more aggressive than a typical hard-shelled turtle, but they are harmless (They also have a more musky smell than a regular turtle.). I’ve never seen one out of the water before. How cool!

(Cavey raised pet turtles as a preteen.)

Assuming mom knew what it was, she wasn’t behaving unsafe. Soft-shells are harmless (just “hissy”).

I once told a group of teens that they were being stupid idiots as they tried to approach a herd of wild elk in the Great Smoky Mountains.

And most [stupid] people don’t realize there are more deaths in Yellowstone caused by bison than bears. (“Hey, Buford! Take my picture next to that there buffalo and her baby. What’s that? Naw, I’ll just keep holdin’ my beer. Maybe the buffalo will drink some of it!”)

They are cute…I can’t wait to feed them in August and NO ONE is going to stop me…the ducks too LOL

The turtles will eat a duck, if you catch a duck, knock it out cold, and toss it to the turtles!:ph34r:

Well there goes the family rating MB had. :laugh:

Uh? :huh: We’re a homeschool family. Everything is educational. Animals mating at the zoo. Animals killing and eating other animals.

A farmer friend told us one evening he needed to kill and dress a few chickens. Did we want to take the kids home? Heck, no! It’s time they learn where their food comes from! Let 'em watch.

[QUOTE=Cavey;1111362]Uh? :huh: We’re a homeschool family. Everything is educational. Animals mating at the zoo. Animals killing and eating other animals.

A farmer friend told us one evening he needed to kill and dress a few chickens. Did we want to take the kids home? Heck, no! It’s time they learn where their food comes from! Let 'em watch.[/QUOTE]

Like our hose with seafood. Net the shrimp, have the kids help pop the heads off the shrimp right away so they can have them for dinner that night, put them in the cooler on ice, and have them help prepare dinner when we got home.

There were ducks swimming right along with them and in tact, so I think those turtles weren’t into ducks…lol

Not a HEATHLY duck. Turtles are scavengers.

hmm interesting point…must have been a brave gang of them…lol