LMM's Sister-Just-Graduated Trip to the World (and non-Disney cruise)

I returned last night from our vacation to Walt Disney World and a cruise out of Port Canaveral. I think I’ve complained about this trip before, but I’m going to give you a little back-story in case you haven’t caught it (except without the detailed gripes). If you don’t care about how this trip came to be and just want to see photos (totally fine by me!), skip ahead!

For all of high school, my sister had wanted to go on a graduation cruise with her best friends. This is something they had talked about for a while, and this past fall, my sister and her best friend sat down and chose a cruise - a 7-night mother/daughter cruise on Royal Caribbean’s Freedom of the Seas. They confirmed it with the group and everyone gave it the thumbs up to us… apparently everyone knew that this cruise wasn’t going to happen, but they didn’t tell us. They let us book this mother/daughter cruise onboard our Christmas cruise so we could get onboard credits for the rooms (a promo when you book while onboard). Well, as soon as we get home and tell them the good news - oh, no - that’s not the cruise we’re going to do. They want to do a 4-night on the Monarch of the Seas (this ship is retiring in April) so that all of their families can come to. It was a big mess of whose-side-am-I-on? game playing. In the end, Rachel agreed to do the big cruise with all of the families because she [I]did[/I] want to go on a cruise with all of her friends. So, we were left to cancel and rebook the cruise (yeah, we get stuck with all of the dirty work… or actually I did because my Dad was back at work and booking vacations isn’t my mother’s strongsuit) for everyone.

Well, in the whole cruise-planning fiasco, the compromise was that they would do the 4-night cruise, then go to Disney afterwards. Hearing this, my Dad and I booked 2 nights at the Beach Club Resort following our cruise. Well… exactly one week before we leave, we learn that no one is going to Disney anymore. They were going to Universal Studios (should’ve known!). So Rachel was in tears. It was too late to cancel Disney, but I did convince Mom and Dad to offer for Rachel to go to Universal with her friends.

In the meantime of all of this vacation rearranging, when we switched from a 7-night to a 4-night, the cruise departed a day later. So, we decided to stick with our original plan of driving the night and instead go to Magic Kingdom that day. We also got to bring Rachel’s best friend with us.

So, Saturday night, Rachel graduated Valedictorian (actually, there is a terrible fiasco story about this, but in attempt to change the mood of this TR from griping to happy, I won’t share this story yet).

DSC_4555 by vshingl, on Flickr

Then we went to our house and ate cake.

DSC_5154 by vshingl, on Flickr

Then rushed to leave so that we could get to Disney in time for our 8:10 Chef Mickey’s ADR.

Congrats to Rachel!!!

Congratulations to Rachel. I’m sorry planning the trip was such a mess, I would have lost my patience pretty quickly.

We were making great time to Disney until we ran into construction on Florida. Close to 7:00, we realized that we were either going to have to go to Chef Mickey’s just how we were (in our pajamas with our hair all tangled) or arrive at Chef Mickey’s late. We stopped at the nice travel plaza along the Florida turnpike to get ready, and Dad called Disney dining to let them know we were arriving late - which they told us was fine, and that as long as we arrived within thirty minutes of our ADR, they would seat us fairly quickly - otherwise, we might have to wait fifteen to twenty minutes.

DSC_5163 by vshingl, on Flickr

DSC_5167 by vshingl, on Flickr

DSC_5168 by vshingl, on Flickr

DSC_5169r by vshingl, on Flickr

DSC_5170 by vshingl, on Flickr

We arrived and went to get our picture taken. We were lining up for the photo, and the CM says to Meredith, “Now are you the best friend?” Meredith looked at her oddly and said yes. “Okay, then you two switch places.” (She had Meredith in between my Dad and Rachel because Meredith is taller.) Mom - “How did you know?” Me - “Because she doesn’t look like us.” CM - “Oh, no - it’s because of the bracelets.” On Meredith’s wrist was a bracelet that said “friends” which was given to her by a different friend… Rachel did not have on a matching bracelet. This leads me to believe that it was because Meredith didn’t look like us, and she was just trying to cover her butt because she had come to a conclusion based on appearance - which could’ve completely backfired on her. We joked about how Meredith should’ve said no or started crying that everyone always thinks that and tells her she’s adopted. That CM’s judgement could’ve turned out terribly wrong.

DSC_5173 by vshingl, on Flickr

We were seated immediately after getting our photo taken. Great timing!

DSC_5174 by vshingl, on Flickr

Congratulations to Rachel, loving the report Victoria and of course, more fabulous photographs.

We were starving, so we loaded up our plates. The breakfast food didn’t disappoint.

The girls were given cupcakes to celebrate their graduation -

DSC_5177 by vshingl, on Flickr

Goofy was the first character to say hello!

DSC_5179 by vshingl, on Flickr

Donald loved my shirt.

DSC_5188 by vshingl, on Flickr

DSC_5201 by vshingl, on Flickr

Mickey did all of the photo ops!

DSC_5203 by vshingl, on Flickr

DSC_5206 by vshingl, on Flickr

DSC_5207 by vshingl, on Flickr

DSC_5208 by vshingl, on Flickr

DSC_5211 by vshingl, on Flickr

DSC_5214 by vshingl, on Flickr

DSC_5216 by vshingl, on Flickr

DSC_5217 by vshingl, on Flickr

We’re all about healthy eating…

DSC_5220 by vshingl, on Flickr

DSC_5223 by vshingl, on Flickr

DSC_5224 by vshingl, on Flickr

DSC_5229 by vshingl, on Flickr

Goofy was dancing behind them during the Celebrate song…

DSC_5230 by vshingl, on Flickr

DSC_5232 by vshingl, on Flickr

I did a quick photo walk for food pics when the buffet wasn’t crowded -

DSC_5237 by vshingl, on Flickr

DSC_5238 by vshingl, on Flickr

The cinnamon rolls were delish!

DSC_5241 by vshingl, on Flickr

The croissants were also very, very good!

DSC_5243 by vshingl, on Flickr

DSC_5245 by vshingl, on Flickr

Sorry you had to do so much leg work just to go on vacation, but glad it worked out. Valedictorian, kudos to your sister!

Thanks for the report, I look forward to reading the rest.

We missed Pluto during the character rotation, so they worked us in before we left. This time, we didn’t get fussed out by a character handler (see Spring Break TR).

We were told to wait by the checkerboard…

DSC_5254 by vshingl, on Flickr

DSC_5256 by vshingl, on Flickr

We were experiencing a sugar rush.

DSC_5257 by vshingl, on Flickr

DSC_5269 by vshingl, on Flickr

Yay! Pluto!!!

DSC_5273 by vshingl, on Flickr

DSC_5284 by vshingl, on Flickr

DSC_5285 by vshingl, on Flickr

DSC_5286 by vshingl, on Flickr

Because I had heard about the ticket price increase on June 3 (the day we were there), I had Meredith pre-order her ticket online that weekend. We had to go to the Transportation and Ticket Center to pick up her ticket.

Finally, we made it to the Magic Kingdom!

DSC_5291 by vshingl, on Flickr

DSC_5293 by vshingl, on Flickr

DSC_5294 by vshingl, on Flickr

Dad went to go FastPass Space Mountain, and we went to the hat shop to look for graduation Mickey ears for Meredith. No luck. We crossed the street to the Emporium. Again, no luck. The CM said that they were sold out and hadn’t ordered enough that year. Rachel got asked by four different people that day where she got her grad ears. I’m guessing they missed out on a lot of profit! Dang, Disney - how did you mess that up??

While standing in the gift shop, I pulled up the Disney Mobile Magic App to check wait times. Aladdin’s Magic Carpet had a 5 minute wait, so Rachel wanted to go do that. It had been a while.

DSC_5296 by vshingl, on Flickr

DSC_5297 by vshingl, on Flickr

DSC_5298 by vshingl, on Flickr

DSC_5299 by vshingl, on Flickr

DSC_5300 by vshingl, on Flickr

This guy spit on me. Right in the face.

DSC_5301 by vshingl, on Flickr

DSC_5302 by vshingl, on Flickr

DSC_5303 by vshingl, on Flickr

DSC_5304 by vshingl, on Flickr

DSC_5305 by vshingl, on Flickr

DSC_5307 by vshingl, on Flickr

DSC_5309 by vshingl, on Flickr

Next was Dad’s favorite - Pirates of the Caribbean.

DSC_5310 by vshingl, on Flickr

DSC_5311 by vshingl, on Flickr

The jerks in front of us took a million flash photos, blinding us throughout the ride. Seriously, it was like a strobe - that’s how rapidly they were taking flash photos.

DSC_5313 by vshingl, on Flickr

DSC_5315 by vshingl, on Flickr

Loving the TR. Where did you find that Donald Duck shirt? My girls would love that!

Forever 21. I got it this past March. They are always coming out with new Disney shirts and dresses that are cute and affordable.

I just found it and it is sold out:sad: I will have to keep my eye out on their site for some tops. Thanks!

Dad went to FP Big Thunder Mountain, and we went ahead to Tomorrowland for our Space Mountain FPs.

We were surprised to see practically no one in the Castle hub at 11:00 AM.

DSC_5319 by vshingl, on Flickr

Pictures were mandatory.

DSC_5320 by vshingl, on Flickr

Awkward…

DSC_5321 by vshingl, on Flickr

DSC_5322 by vshingl, on Flickr

DSC_5324 by vshingl, on Flickr

DSC_5325 by vshingl, on Flickr

DSC_5327 by vshingl, on Flickr

DSC_5329 by vshingl, on Flickr

DSC_5332 by vshingl, on Flickr

DSC_5333 by vshingl, on Flickr

DSC_5334 by vshingl, on Flickr

We took a break and rested with drinks before riding Space Mountain.

It was so weird. FP distribution was just a little over an hour away. Not many people were FPing Space Mountain. The stand-by line, which was noted as a 40 minute wait, looked like no more than a 20 minute wait when we walked in.

DSC_5335 by vshingl, on Flickr

DSC_5337 by vshingl, on Flickr

Next we did Buzz Lightyear Space Ranger Spin. I was excited with my score…

DSC_5338 by vshingl, on Flickr

Until I saw that Meredith had 400,000 something.

I loved the Donald Duck shirt, too! Wish I’d seen this earlier… I’d make one for DD3 and it would make my dad SOOO happy!

Donald shirt is super cute, can’t wait to read more!

It was almost time for our Big Thunder Mountain FPs, so we headed to Storybook Circus to show Meredith the expansion and take the train to Frontierland.

DSC_5339 by vshingl, on Flickr

DSC_5340 by vshingl, on Flickr

DSC_5341 by vshingl, on Flickr

DSC_5342 by vshingl, on Flickr

DSC_5343 by vshingl, on Flickr