Looking forward to no Dining Plan

I just realized how happy I am to not have the dining plan. The last 5 or 6 trips have all been on the dining plan (free or Paid). I’m realizing how much this has altered my plans. Sit down for breakfast? No, use the credits at Dinner. Trail’s End? Casey’s corner? No, not enough value. No kids we can’t use these credits at Typhoon Tillys, we have to wait for wolfgang puck’s.

This trip (Monday, 9 nights at WL) I will be using the $750 gift card. Now I’ll enjoy the freedom to do whatever.

Free dining is great, but I recognize how regimented the plan has made me. Even paying for the plan made me nervous not to max the value.

I’m wondering if the DDP has altered anyone’s thinking like mine?

not us we use it all the time free or paid. I use it so that is one last thing to think about. I dont really worry about getting all i can … if i want a hot dog that is what i eat.im not looking to max out the plan.

i’ve only used ddp a couple of times but have to say I enjoyed things much better on my last trip by not having it. I had 300 reward dollars that I used to cover my meals (the dd’s were covered by other funds). I really enjoyed it. Just whipped out my card and I could eat what/where I wanted without any restrictions because I didn’t have to worry whether or not if it “wasn’t on the plan”…

Dining plan or not, my dining plans revolve around what I plan on doing on any given day.
I got so tired of fast food type settings that I’d rather sit down and have someone wait on me.

I agree! I used to get it all the time for our weekend trips. Just to know “It was paid in full” but I found we’d have left over meals in the end and it would make me NUTS to leave knowing there was a CS or snack credit left. :glare:

Now that DD is 10, and the meal plan for two days costs me $168 (more if it’s peak time) I don’t bother. Food at Disney is expensive, but we hardly ever come close to spending that in two days and I enjoy the freedom of going where we want and eating what we want, when we want.

I’ve tossed around the idea of Tables of Wonderland (is that what it’s called?) but just don’t want to spend the $75 on it. :blush: I know I’d probably save that much in the end, but how long will it take me?

We are always on the dining plan, but I have thought about getting the counter service plan when there are just two of us on vacation. I hate to have every moment planned. I just like to be more spontaneous, but when going with a large group I like try to plan so that everyone can enjoy the things they like. I would so enjoy a trip that was not so scheduled.

You will miss it.

We went without one year and missed it very much.

[QUOTE=Soundgod;1042135]Dining plan or not, my dining plans revolve around what I plan on doing on any given day.
I got so tired of fast food type settings that I’d rather sit down and have someone wait on me.[/QUOTE]

:biggrin: I agree!!!Us too!

[QUOTE=Soundgod;1042135]Dining plan or not, my dining plans revolve around what I plan on doing on any given day.
I got so tired of fast food type settings that I’d rather sit down and have someone wait on me.[/QUOTE]

Yes, we tire as well. But DDP or OOP doesn’t reflect whether it’s CS or TS, it’s just nice to know there’s no restrictions on the what, when and where for us. But then i’m an appetizer freak and since that’s not incl, if I can find an equlivent deal other than DDP then heck yeah :wink:

[QUOTE=mickeysgirlz;1042136]I agree! I used to get it all the time for our weekend trips. Just to know “It was paid in full” but I found we’d have left over meals in the end and it would make me NUTS to leave knowing there was a CS or snack credit left. :glare:

Now that DD is 10, and the meal plan for two days costs me $168 (more if it’s peak time) I don’t bother. Food at Disney is expensive, but we hardly ever come close to spending that in two days and I enjoy the freedom of going where we want and eating what we want, when we want.

I’ve tossed around the idea of Tables of Wonderland (is that what it’s called?) but just don’t want to spend the $75 on it. :blush: I know I’d probably save that much in the end, but how long will it take me?[/QUOTE]

I am with you on that. It would take me awhile to at least reach that amount on TWL. The dinning plan is good but my son now is 10 and I don’t want to have to spend an adult meal price on him if he will only eat kids menu stuff. It can work both ways,depending on how you work it. I think it comes down to how much you want to plan your meals around your trip or if you just are the wing it type. I enjoy my table services and my CS as well. I try to give it a good balance.

TiW is so worth it. The card pays for itself on the third meal when we travel with a party of four. We do at least 1 sit down meal every day. And we even get a discount in the lounges when we have drinks at night.
If it is just the 2 of us we always hit many of the higher end restaurants which is an even bigger savings. Many families don’t think they will save $$$$ with the card. Take 20% off all character meals. Then look at any other meals and take 20% off of those. Then look at the convenience of complimentary parking at the resorts as an add on. Well worth it.

I will never miss the dining plan. Its just too much food. It costs less for us to pay for our food than to pay for the plan. And when we have it, I’m constantly doing the math in my head to try and get our moneys worth.

On our past 3 trips we have done the regular DDP, the counter service plan, and no DDP at all. After doing this, I have to say I am not really a huge supporter of the DDP. Some of our favorite restaurants are the Trails End, Sci-Fi, and The Plaza, which are all totally not worth a TS credit. Our trip with no DDP was much more relaxed and I didn’t feel like I needed to be rolled home every night because I ate to much. We are not real big food people though and for the most part don’t really eat all that much so I think that has a big part to do with it.

The Tables in Wonderland card I think is great. We used it a couple of years ago and saved tons of money and could order whatever we wanted. It even covers alcohol, which totally makes that $75 it costs add up real fast.

The “too much food” comment always leaves me scratching my head.
How is a dinner entree and dessert plus a hamburger and fries with an ice cream bar for lunch too much food?
To me, it seems that people who complain the regular dining plan is too much food have to be starving themselves at home and only eat one small meal a day.

[QUOTE=Soundgod;1042174]The “too much food” comment always leaves me scratching my head.
How is a dinner entree and dessert plus a hamburger and fries with an ice cream bar for lunch too much food?
To me, it seems that people who complain the regular dining plan is too much food have to be starving themselves at home and only eat one small meal a day.[/QUOTE]

I don’t think for me it is too much food. I really like having a table service when we go there. I can see the deluxe being too much food though. It just is personal preference. I did like it before my son turned 9,but now, I don’t know. The TIW card,I have to look at that again and see if it is worth us having it or not. I may consider it if it will save us money.

[QUOTE=Soundgod;1042174]The “too much food” comment always leaves me scratching my head.
To me, it seems that people who complain the regular dining plan is too much food have to be starving themselves at home and only eat one small meal a day.[/QUOTE]

You make me laugh. :laugh: Believe me, I do not starve myself. My problem is that I can’t eat a lot at one time. I am never able to finish a whole meal and I don’t like sweets, so the dessert is totally wasted on me. When I get a cs meal I always replace the dessert with a bottle of water, but then I end up feeling guilty about using so many plastic bottles. It’s a lose-lose situation for me. :blink:

My parents tried the ddp this past February for the first time and my mom was so mad when she got home because she gained 6 pounds! I have never gained weight at Disney because of all the walking we do. She said she has never eaten so much on vacation in her life. I guess we’re just snackers…eat small meals several times a day. When I have to eat a big meal in one sitting, I just feel miserable the rest of the day.

[QUOTE=Pam&Rich;1042156]TiW is so worth it. The card pays for itself on the third meal when we travel with a party of four. We do at least 1 sit down meal every day. And we even get a discount in the lounges when we have drinks at night.
If it is just the 2 of us we always hit many of the higher end restaurants which is an even bigger savings. Many families don’t think they will save $$$$ with the card. Take 20% off all character meals. Then look at any other meals and take 20% off of those. Then look at the convenience of complimentary parking at the resorts as an add on. Well worth it.[/QUOTE]

We don’t do many character meals anymore - we go too often. Buffets never work out for us either DD6 eats like a bird so it’s a waste of money.

I’ll have to keep track of my dining this next trip and see what it costs and what I would save - we do go about 8 times a year, but they are always weekend trips, so we spend a lot of time just chillin’ at the resort, enjoying the pool, etc. Lunch for my girls can be a BIG PICKLE from the cart at MK! :laugh::laugh:

So, I was just checking the restaurants listed for TIW and some of them are food court meals. They also list Pizzafari, which you don’t tip at. So, do you still get charged the 18% tip if it is at a food court resaurant. It says you are automatically charged 18%,so I am wondering if they charge you on those places.

I have never had so much stress in my life at WDW as when we were on the Dining Plan - I understand that it’s a wonderful bonus for many - but I think just as many don’t like it.

The sheer AMOUNT of food stressed me out; to say nothing of having to be at a certain restaurant at a certain time for a certain meal. It’s just not for us. Figuring out points, watching the clock.

Maybe our case is a bit different because we have DVC and I actually do cook some meals at the suite. That way we can pick and choose the restaurants we REALLY want to eat at, plan that day for how much we should be eating and enjoy dining out because we want to, not because we have to.

I don’t have a big appetite. I fill up very quickly. I’d much rather eat 5 small meals a day, than sitting down to a huge meal. I usually can’t manage to finish the entree, let alone dessert. And forget the appetizer. An appetizer for me is like a meal. Sometimes we just order appetizers and dessert for dinner and it’s more than enough.