Luggage Limits

I need some help from veterans who have flown in recent months on how to pack with the limits on weight and carryons.

We are a family of 5, packing for 10 days at WDW. We figure we will check two suitcases and rely on five carryons for other stuff. But I’m wondering if there are weight restrictions on the carryons or just size restrictions? Also, DH wants to bring a rolling suitcase because he says that it meets the measurement restrictions on carryons, but have any of you ever used a rolling suitcase as a carryon before? Have any of you had any difficulties in this area on recent trips?

I’ve seen people using roll-ons as carry-ons all the time. I’ve never had a problem with weight limits for my carry-on and I tend to take a lot of stuff to keep me entertained on the flight. As long as the bag/roll-on fits inside that test space they provide at check in (and can ultimately fit under the seat in front of you or in the overhead) you shouldn’t have any issues. :happy:

We use a small carry on size rolling suitcase for our carry on. We can fit an extra set of clothes for each of us plus swim and sleep wear in it. It fits the size limits but looks like a suitcase.

Great! Thank you so much for the quick response.

Onward with the planning!

Have a look at your carriers web page, they always have their luggage limits somewhere on there. And yes I have seen lots of people using rolling cases as their carry on too.

For a trip to Arizona, we used rolling carry-ons for the first time. Even though I measured three times to make sure we were within the limits, I still felt like I was doing something wrong. But, everyone else was using very similar carry ons, and they all fit without a problem. Worked good, and was able to bring an extra set of clothes with us in case our luggage was lost. That took away a lot of stress.

Honestly, there are no weight limits or size restrictions for carry-ons. You can take whatever you want with you to the gate as long as you can get it through security… they won’t measure or weigh your bag. I have seen people with giant bags get through the security checkpoint, never questioned. Just don’t pack liquids. However, I did get through with security in ATL (not exactly a tiny airport :laugh:), forgetting to remove my liquids from my bag. No one said a thing… I didn’t realize it until later when I opened my bag and saw my ziplock baggy of liquids. :pinch:

Once you get to the gate, most airlines have curbside check-in. You can from there check your bag. You do not have to pay for the bags that you check at the gate. They do this because the overhead bins can only hold so much luggage. Your bag will come out with the rest of the checked bags.

Most smaller jets have curbside valet. This is similar, only instead of sending your bags back with the rest of the checked bags, they bring the tagged bags out with the strollers and wheelchairs that must be stored underneath. So, when you get off the plane, your bags are waiting for you. With curbside valet, you are required to check all of the larger rolling bags because there isn’t much storage on the jet.

With rolling suitcases as carry-ons, I highly recommend that you check them at the gate. It’s difficult to roll them down the aisles of the airplanes, and they are heavy and difficult to lift up into the overhead bins. Also, if you get on the airplane late, it can be difficult to find a space in the overhead bin to store your bag. So many people are bringing full-sized bags onto the plane with them because of the checked bag charges that the overhead bins are really crowded.

Most airlines do have size guidelines for carry-on luggage. Abuse of the guidelines is one of my biggest gripes about traveling…can’t tell you I have been hit in the head by someone trying to lift a too big, too heavy piece of luggage into the overhead bin…OUCH!
Here is a site that gives guidelines for some airlines:
Airplane Carry On Rules by Luggage Online

[QUOTE=M5ward;1034659]Most airlines do have size guidelines for carry-on luggage. Abuse of the guidelines is one of my biggest gripes about traveling…can’t tell you I have been hit in the head by someone trying to lift a too big, too heavy piece of luggage into the overhead bin…OUCH!
Here is a site that gives guidelines for some airlines:
Airplane Carry On Rules by Luggage Online[/QUOTE]

Yeah. I believe (at least at all of the airports I fly out of) they have these signs that have the carry-on size dimensions made of a metal square (it’s like a metal basket with a sign on it). You can just stick your bag inside that space to see if it fits and if it does, it qualifies as carry-on size. I had to use it when flying overseas in front of check in so that they knew for sure my carry-on was the proper size.

Generally, roll ons are limited to 14 x 22 x 9 deep.

Overhead bin space is at a premium with many airlines charging for checked baggage now. Smaller is better.

There is no weight limit for carryons - there are size restrictions. You will have to check to see what they are. I haven’t traveled in about a year, and I heard from a friend that some airline charged him for his carryon. It was double the price then checking your bags. My family would rather spend the extra money and have ME delivery it to our room, that way we don’t have to worry about it. We usually take a small roller bag with us, with an extra set of clothes for each, bathing suits, and night clothes and toiletries (TSA approved size). Better safe then sorry.

I’ve only had a problem with a carry-on once and they tagged it before getting onto the plane. Once the plane landed I just had to wait until they brought it back up for me. Only took a few seconds and I didn’t have to struggle with it inside the cabin. The flight was really full so perhaps on an average flight it wouldn’t have been a problem.