Magic Bands for Groups?

I didn’t want to hijack a current thread so I started this one but…

I was thinking about big groups that go to Disney and have a huge stack of passes handed to them…how will the bands work?

For example, when my daughter takes her choral music department to festival there (every few years) the group is just given a hopper pass from a stack of them. There is no connection to a name per se… When I chaperoned I had to go to the window outside of DHS with one student whose hopper didn’t work…it was just programmed with entry…

So how can they do the bands/FP+ system? I can see where they could just give out a box full of bands for her to give out…do you think they will just program the bands for entry only?

Just curious…it will really be hard for these kids to get any FPs…(or any group)

I’m concerned about this, too, and my DS12, who is a natural worrier, is already concerned about his trip to Magic Music Days and if he’s going to be able to do WDW in the Disney manner he has in mind.

I know it’ll be a great experience for him with his peers… but on the other hand, it’s costing so much it almost seems like we ought to just go as a family instead for a couple of days and get on all the rides we want to!

[QUOTE=Andrea;1137452]I’m concerned about this, too, and my DS12, who is a natural worrier, is already concerned about his trip to Magic Music Days and if he’s going to be able to do WDW in the Disney manner he has in mind.

I know it’ll be a great experience for him with his peers… but on the other hand, it’s costing so much it almost seems like we ought to just go as a family instead for a couple of days and get on all the rides we want to![/QUOTE]

Andrea—when is his group going? I have been with my DDs choral group back when she was in high school herself, and I was amazed at all that the kids could accomplish themselves with just 2 days in WDW…they hopped back and forth and planned it all out…yes there were some things that we just could not squeeze in …but then we went back a year later just the 2 of us…

Still, it was a great experience to “do Disney” with your good friends—always someone who wants to do the same things as you do in a group… It is expensive no doubt about that… I am not sure what the group discount is that Disney gives—it’s all worked out by the planners that take care of the reservations for the MMDs and other music performance events…

My DD is now a Choral Music Director herself, and has to plan a trip every spring for music competition festivals. Last year we went to Nashville (I went along :slight_smile: ) and that was kind of expensive so this year she is planning a less expensive trip. WDW may be the next spring—so that it’s every other year more expensive.

But anyway, as for WDW, I am just not sure how the new system will effect those that can not/are not able to sign up for FP+ times… No one seems to have mentioned that in any of the articles or online blogs yet…:mellow:

They’ll go at the end of May- it’s a holiday weekend so it should be nice and crowded. And they’re middle schoolers, so I’m not sure how much freedom they’ll be given.

It depends on the school and teacher. WDW is overall one of the safest places you can “let them loose.” My daughter taught middle school year before last, and they didn’t go outside of the area—but at Six Flags, they were allowed loose on there own in groups of 4—and they had to check in with their chaperones at specified times. Even with the high schoolers last spring in Nashville—when they were let loose on their own to shop in Nashville, they HAD to be in groups of 4 minimum!! Always—and if we saw a “loner” or couple, they had to stay with us (adults) until they found a group to “hang” with. No exceptions.

That is a busy time to go…We have exams starting around that time so the groups from this area always do their trips in April or first week in May… :happy:

I would be fine with letting him out with his friends! Although they’d probably try to abandon him because he’ll go park commando on them…

:laugh::laugh::laugh: This was not a problem with my DD back then…she found a group that shared her love for Disney and off they went—park commando as best they could…

I am sure your son will find a like minded group to “commando” with as well!! :happy:

Nah, his friends will appreciate having someone lead them around and not have to look at a map!

Oh, but he WILL have to look at a map! He could rock out Disneyland, but he’s only been to WDW once, 7 years ago. But that does bring up a good idea- I’ll have him look at maps before he goes. :happy:

The thing DS12 admires most about me is probably my Disneyland Touring Plans. :laugh: Maybe I’ll help him out and create a WDW plan for him when they know better where they’ll be.

Have him download the iPhone app - it has maps, show times, and ride times!