Magical Express and luggage

Just bought our plane ticket to Orlando and we will be using Magical Express. Our flight arrives at 9:30pm
? #1. What time can I estimate we will arrive at the AKV?
#2. Should we get our luggage at the airport so we don’t have to wait 3 hours? and how does that work?
#3. Anyone experience getting in late and having your luggage delivered?
#4. Should we carry on pjs for the kids so we can get them to bed while we wait for our luggage?
#5. We like to get groceries delivered any idea on the latest Disney will bring items to the room? Last trip they sent the groceries to our room shortly after we checked in but that was in the afternoon. I wonder if that may change if we don’t get to our room until after 11pm.

Thanks so much in advance for all your help.

Can’t help you with ME since we drive.

But as to the food delivery, if the latest time is before you arrive the WDW resorts will accept the delivery. Make sure the dirver seperates anything that must be kept cold or frozen. The CM’s will put it in the proper storage units at the resort so it does not spoil and then deliver it to yor room or hand it to you on checkin upon your arrival.

You might want to tell the front desk that this is going to happen. A call to the front desk before you fly out should do the trick.

I would carry PJs for the kids no matter how your luggage travels. That way you are ready for bed no matter how your luggage travels. I’ve never gotten to a resort that late, so I don’t know the details.

[QUOTE=Pam&Rich;1132356]Can’t help you with ME since we drive.

But as to the food delivery, if the latest time is before you arrive the WDW resorts will accept the delivery. Make sure the dirver seperates anything that must be kept cold or frozen. The CM’s will put it in the proper storage units at the resort so it does not spoil and then deliver it to yor room or hand it to you on checkin upon your arrival.

You might want to tell the front desk that this is going to happen. A call to the front desk before you fly out should do the trick.[/QUOTE]

Thanks
We have done this before and they store it for us until we get there but I was wondering what is the latest Disney will bring them to my room?
I just checked Garden Grocers and they will deliver 7-9pm as the last option to deliver. I was thinking I would pick the delivery option of 6-8pm just to make sure.

Arriving that late at night, you should get your own luggage. Disney will do it up until 10pm, but that could have your luggage arriving at 1am to your room. Grab your own. Should be to AKV by 11:30pm or so.

Thanks neither have we. I usually take the first flight out but I convinced my husband to leave the night before and the kids won’t miss another day of school and I can also surprise them about the trip in a different way. I plan to tell them they have a dentist appt. and pick them up after school and head to the airport instead.
Can’t wait

OK I have made my decision I am getting my own. I am NOT waiting till 1am. I will be getting my Disney sleep for our fun days ahead!!!
And WOW 2 hours!! I guess getting my luggage and additional resort stops will take some time.
It was either arrive late Wed pm or Thursday afternoon. Unfortunately we have a plane change and get in late but I want the full day Thursday so this was the best option for us.

Thanks!!!

Ok—we have used ME ever since it started with no issues–luggage always ended up at the resort at the same time—BUT that was always first thing in the morning—or mid morning.

Last trip—we arrived at 9:30PM and our luggage didn’t get to the resort until about 11:30 or so. They brought it right to our room. We just had to wait for it. They will keep it up front if you tell them too, but we wanted ours.

If we ever arrive late like that again, I will pick up my own luggage and take it with me. The airport was not crowded and I am sure the luggage comes out quicker that time of night.

I agree getting it would be the best thing for you this trip.

[QUOTE=smallworld;1132368]Ok—we have used ME ever since it started with no issues–luggage always ended up at the resort at the same time—BUT that was always first thing in the morning—or mid morning.

Last trip—we arrived at 9:30PM and our luggage didn’t get to the resort until about 11:30 or so. They brought it right to our room. We just had to wait for it. They will keep it up front if you tell them too, but we wanted ours.

If we ever arrive late like that again, I will pick up my own luggage and take it with me. The airport was not crowded and I am sure the luggage comes out quicker that time of night.

I agree getting it would be the best thing for you this trip.[/QUOTE]

OH Thank you so much!! I don’t want to get our own luggage but you’re right I didn’t think of that it will be Wed at 9:30pm it probably won’t be too busy. I am sure we will all be in great moods because we are on our way to Disney world for 10 more days!!! I’m getting excited now.
I am making it easier on the way home we are flying nonstop because our mood won’t be as good on the way home.

One time we had a late arrival. I think we arrived at the hotel somewhere around 9:30. We did not get our bags until the morning. DH called down around 5am to find they were storing them at bell services. I guess they did not want to disturb us so late.

Definately pick up your luggage at the airport.
Last year we landed at 7pm, and didn’t receive our luggage until 11pm after we called looking for it. So much for the 3 hour change-over.
After a long day of travel, I don’t want to wait that long for my bags.

Absolutely plan on picking your luggage up and that means DON’T USE THE ME luggage tags. There is no way you want to be waiting for them to deliver at that time of night.

We just had this exact situation and have done both options. This time we packed pjs and toothbrushes in carry on and sent to bed. Bell services bright our luggage in the am. Also our bus went to 2 all star resorts and jambo before kidani. It was a long wait. I was glad not to have luggage that late as we got awful far rooms, blah.

[QUOTE=Mickey Mom;1132376]Definately pick up your luggage at the airport.
Last year we landed at 7pm, and didn’t receive our luggage until 11pm after we called looking for it. So much for the 3 hour change-over.
After a long day of travel, I don’t want to wait that long for my bags.[/QUOTE]

You misunderstood the “3 hour” thing.

Disney says to expect your luggage within about 3 hours of your resort check-in. They make no claim that you’ll have it within 3 hours of landing.

So if you landed at 7, chances are you were at your resort by 8:15, and checked-in by 8:30. That puts their three hour window at 11:30 p.m. So if you got your luggage by then, then Disney did exactly what they promised. Just because you had mistaken expectations doesn’t make Disney the bad guy here.

I’m of a different opinion than most of the above folks. And that’s okay, it’s okay that we all have different ways of looking at things and different preferences.

When I arrive late (but before 10 p.m.), I always have DME get my checked bags, and always have my resort’s Bell Services hold my checked bags until I call for them in the morning.

No matter where I fly, I always pack carry-ons with our essential needs for the first 24 hours of our trip. I do this is case the AIRLINE misdirects our luggage. That way, even if my airline accidentally sends my luggage to MCI (Kansas City) instead of MCO (Orlando), we can still start our vacation in total comfort.

This means that I’m arriving with PJs, kids’ sleepytime buddies, allowable toiletries, clothes for the morning, etc. And that means I really don’t care if I have my bags immediately … we have everything we need. I can’t imagine risking leaving all that stuff in my checked bags, because twice in my life (but never at MCO) I’ve lived the nightmare of bags delayed a day or two, so I know from experience how that puts such an inconvenient bummer on the start of a vacation.

But all this is just a matter of opinion. I can understand that others may be uncomfortable waiting 'til morning to know if their bags made it safely or not.

I just thought of another advantage of having DME take your bags for you.

If I’m arriving late and traveling with my small children, they’ve had a VERY long day, and my number one priority is getting them happily into bed as quickly as possible, for the happiness and sanity of all involved.

By detouring to baggage claim and waiting for your bags and then schlepping them to the DME area, you unnecessarily delay your arrival at the DME bus area. No big deal if you’re lucky enough to have not missed a bus. But chances are you won’t be on the same bus as someone else on your flight who skipped baggage claim. This means you’ve delayed your own arrival to your resort … DME buses for any particular resort run roughly every 30 minutes.

Just some food for thought. But back when my kids were 6 and 4, I was very glad to get them to bed ASAP, very glad that I had a way to get them to bed 30 minutes earlier than I’d otherwise have been able to do.

With a flight that is scheduled to arrive at 9:30 there is a chance you may not arrive until after 10. Your bags could end up in limbo until the next morning if you choose not to pick them up at the airport baggage yourself. Just a thought.

That’s exactly why BOSS always carries on his Pink Tutu. :laugh:

[QUOTE=cubsblue;1133212]With a flight that is scheduled to arrive at 9:30 there is a chance you may not arrive until after 10. Your bags could end up in limbo until the next morning if you choose not to pick them up at the airport baggage yourself. Just a thought.[/QUOTE]As you can see, I’m a huge fan of the DME luggage service. However, if my flight lands after 10 p.m., I’m going to baggage claim to get my own bags. While I’m fine with my bags overnighting in my resort’s Bell Services locked storage room, I’m not at all okay with my bags overnighting in the airport.

From the Disney website—if it’s cutting it close, I would get the bags and take them with you…

Last summer, I flight arrived around 9:30 so we let them take the bags—we were 2 adults without kids so that makes a difference. Our bags arrived at our room about 11:20 or so… The front desk actually called when we checked in to see about how long the bags would be. Again—we didn’t have kids and that would make a big difference to me…

From the Disney website:

"If you arrive between 5:00 AM and 10:00 PM it can take up to 3 hours after you check in at select Disney Resort hotels for your luggage to be delivered. Please pack a carry-on bag with your valuables, medications and anything you’ll need immediately upon your arrival. You do not need to be in your room to receive your luggage.

If you arrive at Orlando International Airport after 10:00 PM, you must collect your luggage at Baggage Claim and bring it with you on the Disney’s Magical Express motorcoach." :mickey: