Magical Express luggage policy to change, effective 3/20/09

Twitter user ‘wdwenchanted’ posted the following information on his Disney site. Not sure of the original source yet but if I hear anything further I will update.

“Effective March 30, 2009, Disney’s Magical Express will no longer offer luggage delivery service for arrivals to the Orlando International Airport after 10 p.m. Guests arriving at the airport after 10 p.m. will pick up their luggage at the baggage claim and take it with them to the Magical Express motor coach to their resort. This will allow late-arriving guests using Magical Express to have more immediate access to their luggage. Luggage delivery service will still be provided for Magical Express and Disney Cruise Line guests traveling to Walt Disney World for a resort stay who arrive on flights beginning at 5 a.m. until 10 p.m.”

Darn, I wish that didn’t change since we fly in late some trips. We don’t need our luggage until morning so we don’t mind that it comes in really late.

Oh well, it’s not that hard to go get it before checking in.

[QUOTE=DisneyTeacher;936113]Darn, I wish that didn’t change since we fly in late some trips. We don’t need our luggage until morning so we don’t mind that it comes in really late.

Oh well, it’s not that hard to go get it before checking in.[/QUOTE]
In a few trip reports I read that people who arrived around midnight were awakened about 3 hours later by bell services delivering their luggage.
Did they order that or is that how Disney did things? No matter what time of day or night, the luggage will be delivered within 3 hours?

someone tell me. Because if that’s the case then the new policy makes real sense.

[QUOTE=Dopey;936119]In a few trip reports I read that people who arrived around midnight were awakened about 3 hours later by bell services delivering their luggage.
Did they order that or is that how Disney did things? No matter what time of day or night, the luggage will be delivered within 3 hours?

someone tell me. Because if that’s the case then the new policy makes real sense.[/QUOTE]

We got to our resort (WL) around 1 am and had a message from bell services on our phone when we woke up. We didn’t request it be held, it just happened.

Reliable source alert: yup, it was posted on AllEars also.

Disney’s Magical Express and Resort Check-in Service

[QUOTE=Dopey;936119]In a few trip reports I read that people who arrived around midnight were awakened about 3 hours later by bell services delivering their luggage.

someone tell me. Because if that’s the case then the new policy makes real sense.[/QUOTE]

When we arrived at our hotel at about 1 a.m. I took it for granted they would automatically deliver our luggage to the hotel no matter what the hour. I waited up for a while then fell asleep. In the morning I called bell services and they were holding our luggage awaiting our call. They were very quick delivering our luggage once I placed the call. btw… we were at the Poly. I don’t know if the other resorts are any different.

So then those people who’s reports I saw that in must have requested delivery whenever the stuff was available. Big mistake in the middle of the night, heh

[QUOTE=WishUponAStar;936127]Reliable source alert: yup, it was posted on AllEars also.

Disney’s Magical Express and Resort Check-in Service[/QUOTE]

Darn! I was hoping it wasn’t true.

That or resorts don’t all handle it the same way.

Thanks redtire :smile:

um, my other post is obviously obsolete :redface:

I had always carried my own luggage anyway. I know some of you had gotten their luggage somewhat quickly, I never really had a great experience when I let them deliver to my room.

The actual date appears to be 3/30/2008 (the thread title says 3/20). We are arriving after 10:00PM on 3/20… whew…

Bruce

Well we were having trouble deciding if we wanted to get our luggage ourselves or have them do it but I guess this solves our problem!

Saw this on Allears last night, too. :glare: Totally bummed me out. We were looking so forward to not having to wait for our luggage! It’s the little things in life. But the upside, we’ll have our luggage when we get to the room at 1:00 in the morning! :mellow::happy:

And let’s remember, this is still a free service, which is a nice little perk :wink:

[QUOTE=WishUponAStar;936106]Twitter user ‘wdwenchanted’ posted the following information on his Disney site. Not sure of the original source yet but if I hear anything further I will update.

“Effective March 30, 2009, Disney’s Magical Express will no longer offer luggage delivery service for arrivals to the Orlando International Airport after 10 p.m. Guests arriving at the airport after 10 p.m. will pick up their luggage at the baggage claim and take it with them to the Magical Express motor coach to their resort. This will allow late-arriving guests using Magical Express to have more immediate access to their luggage. Luggage delivery service will still be provided for Magical Express and Disney Cruise Line guests traveling to Walt Disney World for a resort stay who arrive on flights beginning at 5 a.m. until 10 p.m.”[/QUOTE]

To me it sounds like a good idea as I wouldn’t want them to wake us up to deliver our suitcases if we get in late and were use to getting our luggage when we go other places

Honestly, we had such a nigthmare with ME last trip, that we decided that we’d ALWAYS fetch our own luggage from now on.

they do include a paragraph in their materials that there will be a few hours when you can’t get at the stuff in your luggage, so to be sure to bring anything you might actually need during that time in your carryon.

But we waited for hours and hours and hours and hours. My HD and DS were almost beside themslves with anxiety abotu the location of their golf bags. lunch came and went, afternoon came and went, dinner came and went. It took so long to get the bags that I was wondering if we’d be sleeping in our jeans all night.

Finally, all the bags arrived in good order. But it was a pain that first day.

But I loved being on the bus! It jump-started that magic feeling as soon as we arrived!

Good reminder . . . :wub:

I’m ok with this. I like to get my own luggage on a late arrival anyway.

[QUOTE=MissDisney;936249]Honestly, we had such a nigthmare with ME last trip, that we decided that we’d ALWAYS fetch our own luggage from now on.

they do include a paragraph in their materials that there will be a few hours when you can’t get at the stuff in your luggage, so to be sure to bring anything you might actually need during that time in your carryon.

But we waited for hours and hours and hours and hours. My HD and DS were almost beside themslves with anxiety abotu the location of their golf bags. lunch came and went, afternoon came and went, dinner came and went. It took so long to get the bags that I was wondering if we’d be sleeping in our jeans all night.

Finally, all the bags arrived in good order. But it was a pain that first day.

But I loved being on the bus! It jump-started that magic feeling as soon as we arrived![/QUOTE]

I totally agree with you. Our first time using the ME was a disaster. After arriving at our resort at 3PM, we didn’t receive our luggage until 11PM.

Since then, we’ve always carried our own luggage and it’s much easier for us that way.