Main Street Bakery/Starbucks Soft Open

So I saw in multiple places today that the Main Street Bakery has been soft opening all weekend. The disney food blog has some photos up. Here is a link to their post:

FIRST LOOK! Main Street Bakery Starbucks Offers Soft Opening! | the disney food blog

I have to say that in the beginning I was very anti-Starbucks in this location. Then I saw photos from the DCA location and read some things from the Parks Blog about how this was really just going to be a change to “Main Street Bakery Serving Starbucks” rather than a change to “Starbucks on Main Street.” However, having seen the photos, I am back to being bummed. It just seems generic and sort of blah. Also, taking away the indoor seating is a mistake.

I am no fan of Starbucks coffee anyway and I am definitely not a fan of their baked goods so I will be skipping the Bakery from now on.

Thoughts?

:frown::frown:

I only go in a Starbucks once a year or so…if that…and that’s only because I am with someone else. I bought coffee there once…Uggg…too strong even the American version of it…bitter aftertaste…and I also was given a piece of coffee cake from there once…when I learned how much it cost later…wow…

Did I miss the Hot Chocolate on the menu? We used to get that during cold winter visits…

I haven’t liked the idea from the beginning. Main Street is suppose to emulate a turn-of-the-last-century town. I don’t think Starbucks was part of 1900 Marceline, Missouri. I don’t drink Starbucks coffee and I can’t imagine ordering it. I’ve always looked at the Bakery as a quick stop for breakfast (no cinnamon bun??) or picking up a treat when heading out, so I’m not too concerned whether there is indoor seating. But how dumb is it not to offer a cinnamon bun? It’s just such a morning staple for a lot of people. I agree with you - it looks generic and blah. I won’t be making it a priority - but then - I never really have.

I only go in a Starbucks once a year or so…if that…and that’s only because I am with someone else. I bought coffee there once…Uggg…too strong even the American version of it…bitter aftertaste…and I also was given a piece of coffee cake from there once…when I learned how much it cost later…wow…

Did I miss the Hot Chocolate on the menu? We used to get that during cold winter visits…[/QUOTE]

I’m currently working through a bag of whole bean Morning Joe, which is a dark roast. It certainly beats Gevalia in my book. But your real question is, how does the newly offered Starbuck’s taste when compared to the near universally despised Nescafe’, which always tasted burned.

Without any indoor seating, and I can’t understand that one because there used to be way too much seating, you have to wonder what they are thinking, especially as the ice cream parlor already had no seating. What are they thinking, or are they even thinking?

[QUOTE=Soundgod;1134896]I’m currently working through a bag of whole bean Morning Joe, which is a dark roast. It certainly beats Gevalia in my book. But your real question is, how does the newly offered Starbuck’s taste when compared to the near universally despised Nescafe’, which always tasted burned.

Without any indoor seating, and I can’t understand that one because there used to be way too much seating, you have to wonder what they are thinking, especially as the ice cream parlor already had no seating. What are they thinking, or are they even thinking?[/QUOTE]

I don’t mind the Nescafé coffee…we drink Maxwell House here…we have the one cup coffee machines and access to a lot of different coffees but the MW regular mild coffee is our standard…I just don’t want anything bold or bitter. After I take a sip…I don’t want to be left with an aftertaste of any kind.

I never get coffee on main street anyway…but I sure hope they don’t switch to Starbucks at the resort. I would bring my own “instant” which I don’t really like …if they change to Starbucks at the resorts. I can’t stomach Starbucks…and I mean that physically as well as figuratively!!!

Very disappointed that they took out the seating area. I don’t drink coffee and never go to Starbucks so that makes no difference either way to me. But we loved to get breakfast and sit at the Bakery. It was one of our few breakfasts at Disney. Just such a nice atmosphere on Main Street.

I agree, it looks very meh. And I can’t believe they took out the seating! I see a lot of display cases there but I can’t tell what’s inside - do they still have any Main Street Bakery goodies or is it all Starbucks pastries now? I loved browsing the treats at the Bakery… I hope that’s not all gone. :frowning: Although I guess there’s still the Confectionary, but it’s just not quite the same…

[QUOTE=Soundgod;1134896]I’m currently working through a bag of whole bean Morning Joe, which is a dark roast. It certainly beats Gevalia in my book. But your real question is, how does the newly offered Starbuck’s taste when compared to the near universally despised Nescafe’, which always tasted burned.

Without any indoor seating, and I can’t understand that one because there used to be way too much seating, you have to wonder what they are thinking, especially as the ice cream parlor already had no seating. What are they thinking, or are they even thinking?[/QUOTE]

I think removing the seating is a real bust. The closest seating I can think of is down by the Plaza, is that correct? And that is all outside so no help on a hot summer day or cooler winter day.

I agree that the Nescafe is yucky. My dad and I always joke that they serve it so hot in the food courts so that you burn your tongue with the first sip and can’t taste the rest so I understand the need to replace the coffee. But for me, replacing it with Starbucks is basically the same as keeping the Nescafe. I just don’t like their coffee. I am generally a Dunkin Donuts girl but also like Green Mountain or Newman’s Own (which they serve at McDonald’s) Basically, they switched out one coffee I disliked for another one at a higher price. :laugh:

For us the best coffee is the little umbrella stand on the Boardwalk and the best pastry is the Boardwalk Pastries. But then Dunkin Donuts is my favorite coffee at home, so…

YMMV,
-Harry

[QUOTE=KarenWDWCP;1134908]I think removing the seating is a real bust. The closest seating I can think of is down by the Plaza, is that correct? And that is all outside so no help on a hot summer day or cooler winter day.
[/QUOTE]

Or in the rain or before fireworks.

By the time I hit the park, I have had my coffee limit, so this is a non-event for me.

I’ve never understood why the Canadian Pavillion doesn’t have a Tim Horton’s kiosk…then I’d be happy.

That they removed the seating is the most ignorant decision anyone could have approved.

Well, that and NO cinnamon buns. That smell always did the trick walking down Main Street early in the morning.

[QUOTE=Pam&Rich;1134927]That they removed the seating is the most ignorant decision anyone could have approved.

Well, that and NO cinnamon buns. That smell always did the trick walking down Main Street early in the morning.[/QUOTE]

A Bakery without cinnamon buns is a travesty.

Was he in Dr. Suess? "Horton hears a Who?

He was a hockey player.:tongue: But now he’s a coffee shop.

Wow, that had to hurt!

We get Tim Horton’s Donut Shop blend for our single serve coffee maker…it is medium blend but not too strong nor bitter…I like it!! I may have to ship my coffee maker ahead of me to POFQ next time if they put Starbucks or something in the food courts!!! I will be coffee-less and unhappy for a week…

Neither have I. Although there are actually a couple Tim Horten’s in the Hollywood, Fl area. Then again, with all the Quebec license plates in the winter…

Speaking of things Canadien, do they offer Blue, Brador’s, or a Molson Lager and not their export ale? We know I don’t drink, but we’re talking authentic “back home” offerings and nothing could be more authentic than a bottle of Blue with Canadian alcohol volume, not American. And what about wines from Niagara? Loganberry drink?

[QUOTE=Pam&Rich;1134927]That they removed the seating is the most ignorant decision anyone could have approved.

Well, that and NO cinnamon buns. That smell always did the trick walking down Main Street early in the morning.[/QUOTE]

It’s been well reported that much of that fresh baked cinnamon roll scent was the result of Imagineers:wub:, not the kitchen. But if they keep venting that scent, it will only make guests mad that they can’t get what their mouths are watering for.

Very dumb killing cinnamon rolls at breakfast time.
Even dumber is killing all seating. Come to think of it, back in my early days of visiting WDW, I recall the glass blower was in the dining area along with tables and chairs. So I can’t imagine how much more room the new counter, service queue, and cashier have taken that they don’t have room for 5 4 seater tables.