Main Street Electrical Parade - a memory

I’ve been a long-time lurker here but wanted to share something with you all that surprised me, since I knew you’d “get it”.

I read here that they were bringing back the Main Street Electrical Parade, something I’d loved as a kid, but I hadn’t thought of it in years.

“Oh yeah! I remember that,” I thought. “Seems like it had a really cool synthesizer song with it…” (I’ve since been reminded that it’s electro-syntho-magnetic :wink: ) “I’m gonna go look that up.”

So off to YouTube I went and easily found it. What happened next was totally unexpected…

As the intro wound down, “the syntho-voice” came on. “Ladies & gentlemen, boys & girls…” My heart skipped. My eyes welled up and I felt so… excited, for lack of a better word. I was a kid again and was filled with genuine excitement for the MSEP. I really felt like the floats must have been just around the corner and that they’d be coming my way soon. I was giddy, choked-up and generally overwhelmed with emotion all from this song from my (our) childhood.

[I]I’ve never had anything like this happen to me before.[/I] Sure I choke up a little for the Star Spangled Banner, but never anything like this.

Anyway, I bought the song and have been rationing it to myself because I want that feeling to hang around as long as it can.

I hope at some point you’re able to tap into a memory like this, whether Disney related or not.

Thanks for reading…

enjoyed the thread

My contribution to this thread, pix of the parade from this summer!

My addition: Last Thursday night we had dinner at 8:30 at Crystal Palace (they seated us early!) and finished by about 9:40 and caught fireworks to the left of the big tree to the left of that little rotary (circle) between the Emporium and CP.
After we went to Space Mountain for a quick ride. Knowing the second parade was at 11, I figured we’d get a ride in on Big Thunder before the parade made it into Frontierland. This was not to be as Big Thunder had closed early (mechanical issues and an 11 PM park close), although I was under the assumption the park was closing at midnight. Well, nothing left to do but head back towards the hub and meet the parade as it came to us. We met the parade where the walkway narrows to go between the Castle and The Christmas Shop. Very few people were standing here and it was like we had a private parade viewing. And we didn’t even have to stake out our spot for hours before or brave a downpour.
So, unlike July 1, we saw the entire parade, and from literally inches away instead of being 70 feet back from the curb and half the dancers not even making the parade.
(YEA!!:mickey:)

[QUOTE=wackychimp;1044741]I’ve been a long-time lurker here but wanted to share something with you all that surprised me, since I knew you’d “get it”.

I read here that they were bringing back the Main Street Electrical Parade, something I’d loved as a kid, but I hadn’t thought of it in years.

“Oh yeah! I remember that,” I thought. “Seems like it had a really cool synthesizer song with it…” (I’ve since been reminded that it’s electro-syntho-magnetic :wink: ) “I’m gonna go look that up.”

So off to YouTube I went and easily found it. What happened next was totally unexpected…

As the intro wound down, “the syntho-voice” came on. “Ladies & gentlemen, boys & girls…” My heart skipped. My eyes welled up and I felt so… excited, for lack of a better word. I was a kid again and was filled with genuine excitement for the MSEP. I really felt like the floats must have been just around the corner and that they’d be coming my way soon. I was giddy, choked-up and generally overwhelmed with emotion all from this song from my (our) childhood.

I’ve never had anything like this happen to me before. Sure I choke up a little for the Star Spangled Banner, but never anything like this.

Anyway, I bought the song and have been rationing it to myself because I want that feeling to hang around as long as it can.

I hope at some point you’re able to tap into a memory like this, whether Disney related or not.

Thanks for reading…[/QUOTE]

And thanks for sharing what is a beautiful memory and story. I understand that feeling a little, whenever I hear Ugly Bug Ball, it reminds me of time with my mother. My mother is not very demonstrative or emotive, but this song was something we both loved and shared and so for me it’s a very special memory when I hear it.
Oh and welcome to Mousebuzz, good to have you here.

[QUOTE=wackychimp;1044741]I’ve been a long-time lurker here but wanted to share something with you all that surprised me, since I knew you’d “get it”.

I’ve never had anything like this happen to me before. Sure I choke up a little for the Star Spangled Banner, but never anything like this.

Thanks for reading…[/QUOTE]

I totally understand. The Electrical Parade is my absolute favorite thing about WDW. I have the soundtrack to it on some Disney CD - maybe “Wishes”? I get choked up just listening to that! Sometimes the smell of popcorn takes my mind right to Main Street. Those are things that I cherish because they remind me of my childhood and also of the time I spend in Disney with my husband and son.

I’m excited to hear that this parade will still be performed for our vacation!! I was bummed when I heard it wasn’t around after August 14th!! I just hope Wishes is back though!!

?Main Street Electrical Parade? Extended at Walt Disney World Disney Parks Blog

I always get choked up at the opening of the MK in the morning. Watching the train come in…and then the line in the song “it’s just some magic, rolled up in pixie dust!” It gets me every time.:crying: