Major Changes to My Trip

I went round and round on how to maximize our trip. When I booked it, I hadn’t looked at flight schedules. My options were to #1. Fly out from St. Louis at 6am and with stopovers not arrive at WDW until late afternoon, or #2. Fly out late on Sunday and arrive late on Sunday. Neither option gave us time at a park (and my wife and 3 kids are not going to go to the midnight EMH at MK on Sunday, then get up for rope drop the next morning).

Finally, I just decided I’d add an extra night and fly out late Saturday. Get in Saturday night. Hit MK on Sunday morning.

Sound simple? Not when your resort is not available for that extra night. :frown:

So…I got the extra night…by switching the entire vacation over to The Art of Animation Studios. We’re staying in the Lion King Suites. (A suggestion Dana made a few weeks ago, and I rejected!)

To be honest, the suits look kind of gaudy to me. The outside reminds me of Pop Century, but the rooms themselves are a bit too “themed.”

I was also annoyed that AAS & FW are about the same price, but AAS is considered a “value resort.” So I had to “upgrade” the dining package, because value resorts are only offered free quick service meals with the promo. So adding the one night, cost us an unexpected, additional $400.

But I’m okay with the changes. We can now add another FS dinner to our vacation–probably Whispering Canyon Cafe (not positive, yet). And I think I’ll be the first MBer to stay in AAS. Correct?

There is always West Virginia.

You will have a blast and you will know if you like the new hotel set up or not. It should be fun, and at least better than the beach…

Fantastic. An extra day, a few bucks more and you are “the best dad that ever lived”

Have fun

true dat :cool:

Aren’t the AAS set up for families? As a family of five, I would have loved that option despite any over the top theming. We always stayed offsite as it was cheaper to rent a house over two rooms onsite.

…I hate to be stupid…but why is AAS a value resort? Compared to FW it should be deluxe…right? I’m confused…or is this all because of the new rooms they have…the special rooms compared to deluxe resort prices?

Smallworld

From the outside, AAS has all the appearances of Pop Century. It’s laid out as PC. It has a food court like PC. The only difference is the rooms are twice as big, and yet the price is more than twice that at PC…mmmm! Why am I not just getting two rooms at PC??? :huh:

I think your changes sound great! I would love to be among the first to try a new resort. We are missing AAS by just days for our trip. Can’t wait for your report!

Because then you and DW would have to a) let the kids room alone :ohmy: or b) spend your vacation sleeping in separate rooms. . .which might be ok if dw snores :happy:

I had this same debate over our trip and I’m glad we will all be together!

We will be needing a lot of pics at AAS, young man!

Sometimes unexpected changes can turn out to make your vacation the best ever. Don’t sweat it, it will be great! I can’t wait to see pics of AAS!!!

Yay for the extra day!!!

Your changes sound good I can’t wait to hear how you like AAR.We’ll be just across the bridge at Pop Century.Take lots of pictures.Enjoy.

We are staying at the Art of Animation in the Cars suites when we go in October. I personally feel that since people paying over $300 a night to stay in the “Value Resort” should get the middle dining plan for free. My opinion though, I know the Mermaid rooms are $1200 cheaper for a 7 day stay (I looked it up for our trip). We are spending over $4000 to stay there for 7 days plus the cost of the meal plan plus tickets. I think our stay at Port Orleans Riverside was cheaper, and we stayed there for 10 days.

It is what it is, new resort higher costs probably. I still feel for that cost they should give you the option of the middle meal plan for free (while promotions are going on).

Cavey, just think that you will be among the first to photograph all of those BRAND NEW BATHROOMS! I can’t wait! :laugh:

It is annoying that the prices for AoA make it fall in line with a moderate but the categorization as a value means you have to pay to upgrade the dining plan. I am also not a giant fan of the theming from what I have seen BUT I felt the same way about Pop Century before I stayed there and I actually really enjoyed that resort.

[QUOTE=KarenWDWCP;1108671]Cavey, just think that you will be among the first to photograph all of those BRAND NEW BATHROOMS! I can’t wait! :laugh:

It is annoying that the prices for AoA make it fall in line with a moderate but the categorization as a value means you have to pay to upgrade the dining plan. I am also not a giant fan of the theming from what I have seen BUT I felt the same way about Pop Century before I stayed there and I actually really enjoyed that resort.[/QUOTE]
I don’t care for the theme, either, but I think the kids will love it. My 8yo’s favorite movie is Lion King. The huge pool is a draw for the kids as well (I’m not much into swimming.).

Also, as I thought about it, this would have been our first stay at FW without our own car. We would have been entirely dependent on the internal/external transportation system. That up’s the time to every park, except MK. Plus the pool would have been a good half-mile walk. Staying at AAS (or AoA) lets us sleep in an extra 30 minutes and lets us get back to our room quicker after fireworks.

[QUOTE=tjrey;1108667]We are staying at the Art of Animation in the Cars suites when we go in October. I personally feel that since people paying over $300 a night to stay in the “Value Resort” should get the middle dining plan for free. My opinion though, I know the Mermaid rooms are $1200 cheaper for a 7 day stay (I looked it up for our trip). We are spending over $4000 to stay there for 7 days plus the cost of the meal plan plus tickets. I think our stay at Port Orleans Riverside was cheaper, and we stayed there for 10 days.

It is what it is, new resort higher costs probably. I still feel for that cost they should give you the option of the middle meal plan for free (while promotions are going on).[/QUOTE]

I agree with you on this. It would be nice if all the suites were given the same options as the Mod’s, but doubt that will happen. Even though they are equal, or more, in price most all rooms in a Mod except for some of POR are based on 4 ppl and the suites are for 6. More mouths to feed=less profit for Disney Dining.

I really don’t understand how they can have “Moderate” rooms at the Value Resorts—I mean I’m glad they are offered but how confusing.

If you are paying for a Moderate suite, then you should have the benefits of that price you pay. I’m not familiar with any dining plans because we have never used them, however, I think I would complain about that feature.

So you mean the special suites at the Moderate Resorts put you in a “Deluxe” category? Or do they remain Moderate? They definitely are more expensive at POFQ—I checked before making my ressies there.

My understanding of the new Art of Animation is that some rooms are suites, built so larger families don’t have to get two or three rooms. Am I wrong about that?