Major Epcot Ride News!

I’m surprised that nobody else has seen this yet. I’m also surprised that I didn’t see it until just now. Well, here goes:

Disney announced on Sept. 12 that they will be building a Frozen ride.
My first thought was it was going into MK. It isn’t.
It’s going into Epcot. But where could they possibly fit something like that in? Certainly not Future World. That somewhere in leaves World Showcase. Again, where?
NORWAY!

Get ready to say good bye to the Maelstrom.

“The new attraction, which replaces Maelstrom, will take our guests to Arendelle and immerse them in many of their favorite moments and music from the film.”

They also announced that they’ll be adding Anna, Elsa, Kristoff, and Olaf in “Mickey’s Once Upon a Christmastime Parade. (Which really messes up the footage from last year’s parade that I was going to edit in with this year’s parade:pirate:)

This from Entertainment Weekly:

After months of speculations and wishes among fans, Disney Parks confirmed Friday that a new attraction based on the hit animated film will replace the Maelstrom ride, in the Norway section of Epcot’s World Showcase. Construction is beginning now, and though no exact timeline has been given, you can bet it will take longer than building a snowman.

The ride will likely keep the basic structure of the Maelstrom, which opened in the summer of 1988 and takes guests on small Viking ships into various scenes of Norwegian history. The currently unnamed attraction will take riders right to Arendelle and into some of the most memorable moments of the film. Norway served as inspiration for the Disney animators when designing the fictional kingdom.

:smile:[QUOTE=Soundgod;1919093775]I’m surprised that nobody else has seen this yet. I’m also surprised that I didn’t see it until just now. Well, here goes:

Disney announced on Sept. 12 that they will be building a Frozen ride.
My first thought was it was going into MK. It isn’t.
It’s going into Epcot. But where could they possibly fit something like that in? Certainly not Future World. That somewhere in leaves World Showcase. Again, where?
NORWAY!

Get ready to say good bye to the Maelstrom.

“The new attraction, which replaces Maelstrom, will take our guests to Arendelle and immerse them in many of their favorite moments and music from the film.”

They also announced that they’ll be adding Anna, Elsa, Kristoff, and Olaf in “Mickey’s Once Upon a Christmastime Parade. (Which really messes up the footage from last year’s parade that I was going to edit in with this year’s parade:pirate:)

This from Entertainment Weekly:

After months of speculations and wishes among fans, Disney Parks confirmed Friday that a new attraction based on the hit animated film will replace the Maelstrom ride, in the Norway section of Epcot’s World Showcase. Construction is beginning now, and though no exact timeline has been given, you can bet it will take longer than building a snowman.

The ride will likely keep the basic structure of the Maelstrom, which opened in the summer of 1988 and takes guests on small Viking ships into various scenes of Norwegian history. The currently unnamed attraction will take riders right to Arendelle and into some of the most memorable moments of the film. Norway served as inspiration for the Disney animators when designing the fictional kingdom.[/QUOTE]

…I think we did discuss this here somewhere…just not sure which thread…may be wrong since I’ve been talking with people on FB about it…glad I rode Maelstrom last month. :slight_smile:

I heard this was coming a while back. Soooo not feeling it. Maelstrom isn’t my favorite ride but I hate to see it replaced by a Frozed anything.

I wonder what is happening to the movie part.

The ride will use the existing water ride as well as the additional space where the movie is now…the entrance to the Frozen ride will be moved to give even more room for an extended ride…it will be interesting to see how this all works out…I hope that Norway at least has a small museum…I hate for the countries to completely lose their “character”… That’s what the Showcase is suppose to be all about.

Oh, I thought they were just taking down the oil rigs and trolls and throwing in snowmen. I didn’t realize it was a complete make over.

I hadn’t heard about the new attraction but it sounds exciting. I’m always excited about something new coming.

The Backlot Tour is also closing in a couple weeks I have heard. I wonder if Carsland will back there…

A little sad to see it go. I always thought the attractions should tell a little bit about the country, its heritage and where it is going. Just hope that it does not flop in a couple of years when Frozen looses its allure.

From what I’ve heard, the backlot and the LMA stadium will be going away to make room for Carsland.
It makes sense that this is where it would go. After all, these attractions are next to Pixar Place.
If this is what happens remains to be seen.

You mean like the hundreds of millions they’re currently throwing away in hopes that Avatar 2 is as big a hit as Avatar 1?

I’m a little sad to see Maelstrom go, it’s a sentimental favorite of ours. But I love Frozen and I’m always excited for new things. I hope they incorporate lots of Norwegian heritage into the new ride as well.

In the article that I ready about the Back Lot tour shutting down, they said the rumor was to make way for more Star Wars stuff.

Extremely disappointed with Maelstrom closing. I have posted elsewhere on FB, etc. that I am Frozen-ed out. Maelstrom is my favorite ride at Epcot, so to have it closed is a huge letdown for me. To top it off with Off Kilter, Mo’Rokkin and Spirit of America all being given their walking papers so Disney can use the money to go towards more Anna & Elsa Meet & Greets, and replacing at least the Off Kilter show with some cheesy lumberjack show.

It looks like Drinks Around the World is now my new favorite attraction at Epcot.

We actually just got back from 5 amazing days at WDW. We got to go on Maelstrom twice before it closed. Enjoyed it very much!

I suppose that this change may wind up to be a good one. Time will tell.

[QUOTE=skwak;1919093850]We actually just got back from 5 amazing days at WDW. We got to go on Maelstrom twice before it closed. Enjoyed it very much!

I suppose that this change may wind up to be a good one. Time will tell.[/QUOTE]

How about a mini TR please? Just the highlights…food, crowds, FP+, resort,any special moments. I’d be the first person to say writing a TR is a pain, but pretend you are back in school and it’s an 100 word essay. ( I hated those too. )

[QUOTE=Goodegirl2007;1919093797]

In the article that I ready about the Back Lot tour shutting down, they said the rumor was to make way for more Star Wars stuff.[/QUOTE]

I believe the Backlot Tour area and the whole Light’s Motors, Action stadium and track are going to become Carsland. The Streets of America and the Indiana Jones stunt show are where the Star Wars stuff will be going. No word on Muppetvision, if it stays or goes.

I’m kind of okay with them updating and renovating HS, as Carsland has proven to be a home run at DL. What disgusts me (and that is huge word coming from me about my beloved Disney) is that they are changing their vision. World Showcase is just that, to show each individuals country’s style, food, arts, environment, etc. Not to showcase a movie that they made a lot of money on. There are better locations for that. Then to be taking away something that people actually love and are a part of their traditional vacation…I’m referring to Off Kilter. I hope everyone boycotts the lumberjacks to show unity. And finally, these tests for only allowing FP and no standby. How can they slap half their visiting population in the face after all our years of dedication. Its just absurb and beyond fathom, and I have no clue how to let them know other than me going on a rant over in these parts! Thanks for letting me vent. I’m very, very disappointed right now that my pixie dust is being blown away in their wind.

We just spent 3 full days at Epcot and I walked right past the Lumberjack Show every time. To me, I do not understand cancelling Off Kilter or the World Showcase Players. They are greatly missed.