Major Stroller Recall - All Maclaren sold in US since 1999

[I]I figure this needs to be in the main theme park forum for maximum viewing.[/I]

[B]Maclaren recalls 1m baby strollers in US[/B]

Maclaren, the British baby stroller brand, is recalling every folding “umbrella” stroller it has sold in the US over the last 10 years, after 12 children suffered amputations from getting finger tips caught in the hinges.

Around one million of the lightweight strollers are affected by the voluntary recall, which includes Maclaren’s popular Volo and Techno models, according to the US Consumer Product Safety Commission.

“The stroller’s hinge mechanism poses a finger-tip amputation and laceration hazard to the child when the consumer is unfolding/opening the stroller,” the CPSC said in a joint statement with the company announcing the recall.

“Consumers should stop using recalled products immediately unless otherwise instructed.”

The privately-held company is issuing customers with a free set of hinge covers that it says will remedy the problem. But the recall represents a major challenge to the company, which markets itself in the US as producing “the world’s most safe, durable, innovative and stylish baby buggies and strollers”.

FT.com / Retail & Consumer - Maclaren recalls 1m baby strollers in US

I know a lot of you still have kids in strollers and something like this needs to be made known as soon as possible because I know there are plenty of WDW visitors who have Maclaren strollers (even though I don’t have kids of my own.)

I saw this online just a little while ago and I was thinking the same thing. Thanks for posting it SG.

Thanks for posting. We don’t have a one, but there is one on my christmas list!

The web site says that on more recently purchased models, the hinge covers may have already been added. My daughter has the Easy Traveller which we bought specifically for our January, 2010, trip to WDW so we wouldn’t have to bring the whole travel system. I went on line and submitted the information to have the hinge covers sent to her. The form to order the necessary parts is at:
http://maclarenbaby.com/us/component/option,com_aedes/Itemid,98889730/lang,en/

I bought mine at Target and have NO IDEA what model it is. I’ll have to check out the link . . . thanks for letting us know. :heart:

Wow- 10 years of strollers! That’s huge. My kids are out of strollers, but many of my friends have Maclarens (strollers, not the car :wink:). Thanks for the info!

Nice job, Doug. High Four!

Ruh roh… Recall too late for you man? :crying:

:laugh:

[QUOTE=MerlinMatt;1003725]Ruh roh… Recall too late for you man? :crying:

:laugh:[/QUOTE]

I think it has more to do with most cartoon characters being drawn with only 3 fingers and a thumb. (Look at the Mickey hands).:cool:
At least that’s the way I’m interpreting.:blink:

[QUOTE=Soundgod;1003777]I think it has more to do with most cartoon characters being drawn with only 3 fingers and a thumb. (Look at the Mickey hands).:cool:
At least that’s the way I’m interpreting.:blink:[/QUOTE]

SG … I’m not sure I understand, I’ve yet to put my finger on it!!!:pirate: