Mama Melroses.. Fantasmic Dinner

Hey Folks,

I’ve been trying to read some of the previous threads but i guess fresh opinions may help.

We are looking for the fantasmic dinner package on 2/10. I was wondering about the 2 choices we have (no brown derby 2 meal tixs) Mama Melrose and Hollywood & Vine

My BF is a real picky eater, kinda meats and potoatoes, no toppings or anything. Will mama melrose be ok, or should we be safer at the buffet

Also, I read a previous thread about meal times, that the later are saved for 2 weeks prior. What is a good time to eat dinner and still see the show. I was thinking about 5:30-6:30, or how late can one suggest?

Any help is appreciated. And i’m still crazy that this trip is free

I have been to Mama Melrose and although I really like it it’s not really meat and potatoes. My DH is M&P also and likes the buffets in WDW more than anything (besides Le Cellier!!). We really like Hollywood & Vine and buffets are always pretty safe as far as selection. You can always call the Disney Dining # for a complete menu…subject to change, of course :tongue: Have FUN! :wub:

Your trip is FREE??? Lucky You! :mickey:

Mama Melrose is Italian, and Hollywood and Vine is a buffet. From your brief description of your BF’s eating habits, it sounds like HV would be the better choice, but maybe he likes Italian too, everyone likes Italian. For the record, I wasn’t too crazy about Mama Melrose and I’ve never been to HV, but I have an ADR booked for it and the Fantasmic! show on Jan 24th.

I have heard too that they release later times as the date gets closer. When I reserved mine earlier this week, the CM told me all the times were wide open, so I booked kind of an early sitting, 5:00. I figure that this way we can take our time walking to the special Fantasmic! entrance, and might even give us time to hit a ride or two along the way.

I’d suggest the buffet at H&V for a picky eater. There’s so much to choose from, you can’t miss.

Another vote for H&V. They have something for everyone,even the pickiest kids (and husbands). Also, yummy desserts and it is all you can eat at a good price. We have eaten there several times and we all like it.

My vote is for Hollywood & Vine. We did the Fantasmic package there & we were quite impressed with the food. They had a great selection of food & desserts. My husband visited that section a few times! Great kids section of food too. Our seating was pretty early, so we had time to visit a few attractions before the show. We arrived at the special entrance about 20 minutes before & had great seats. They were off to side but still pretty good. Much better than waiting for 90 minutes in the August heat.

You are going to have a great time!

Janie,

I agree with everyone. But… my family tends to get ‘buffeted out’ at WDW; so we tend to save the buffets for character meals. We’ve eaten at Mama’s several times and always enjoyed it.

His choices at Mama’s don’t look promising though. Allears reports the menu as “Mama Melrose $28.99 adult/$10.99 child (3-9) not including admission, tax, and gratuity. Your choice of one wood-fired flatbread to share from Mama’s rustic on-stage kitchen, as well as family style salad, and choice of entree. Dessert: Mama’s signature Fantasmic! Tiramisu. Adult beverages NOT included. Child’s meal includes beverage.”

Promising menu items on the most recent Allears menu would be:

Charred Butcher Tender Steak over roasted red pepper polenta, grilled asparagus, with gorgonzola butter and red wine reduction

Veal Osso Buco slow roasted and served with Risotto Milanese

I’m sure they’d be willing to prepare the steak without the butter and sauce…

I dunno… if you’re interested in Mama’s, show him the menu at allearsnet.com. He might surprise you?

Bruce

We ate at Mama’s for the Fantasmic package in June and it was delicious. lil brer and I both love Italian and it was most excellent. The flatbread was Delicious and the salad was wonderful (I am not a salad eater - don’t like lettuce) and I had the steak and I asked the kitchen to separate the parts and remove things because I too am a picky eater. We ate at Mama’s because I didn’t want another buffet and I heard that H&V can sometimes get loud. We had an early seating time and then saw Lights!Action! Motorcars! and rode some other rides before heading to Fantasmic for our guaranteed reservations and we got to sit up front in our special seating area. There were two seats left, and it was a different perspective. We usually sit up at the top of the handicapped section with my parents. Seeing it from the bottom, so close was amazing. I highly reccommend it and Mama Melrose’s. From one pickey eater to another.

We ate at Mama’s for the Fantasmic package in June and it was delicious. lil brer and I both love Italian and it was most excellent. The flatbread was Delicious and the salad was wonderful (I am not a salad eater - don’t like lettuce) and I had the steak and I asked the kitchen to separate the parts and remove things because I too am a picky eater. We ate at Mama’s because I didn’t want another buffet and I heard that H&V can sometimes get loud. We had an early seating time and then saw Lights!Action! Motorcars! and rode some other rides before heading to Fantasmic for our guaranteed reservations and we got to sit up front in our special seating area. There were two seats left, and it was a different perspective. We usually sit up at the top of the handicapped section with my parents. Seeing it from the bottom, so close was amazing. I highly reccommend it and Mama Melrose’s. From one pickey eater to another.

Hey youngun, we were not impressed with MM’s and we had a very diverse age group. I would try H&V, I know we will come June. But all-in-all, either is gonna good - its Disney!

If you choose Mama Melrose’s, remember that the portions are gi-normous!!! You will have a tough time finishing everything on your plate there! And it is yummy!!!

The menu for the fantasmic package was different than the normal Mama Melrose menu when we went last year. Is this still the same?

Me personally would go for H&V buffet, more choices and you should find something you all like.

I agree, sounds like HV would be best. We enjoy Mama Melrosa and some of the dishes can get real funky. With ADR’s for MM you have a limited selection. HV is probably best

MJD

I wouldn’t do the dinner package at all. The seats they set aside for it are not the greatest in the world. They are to the extreme side of the amphitheatre :frowning:

Pick another restaurant, eat dinner a little earlier than normal and then head to the theatre to get your seats.

We’ve done both MM and HV for the Fantasmic package the past 3 years and we prefer MM. We found the HV check-in process to be pretty bad (we waited over 30 minutes past our seating time, with 2 year old in tow) and the offerings nowhere near as good as other buffets (Chef Mickey’s, Boma, 1900 Park Fare, and Crystal Palace are favorites of ours).

At MM, I’ll admit that some of the entrees are a bit on the unusual side. I love the chicken parmesean, but my wife has had trouble finding things in the past. This year, she mentioned that to our waiter, who offered to let her pick her own mix if things and he’d make it happen. She picked a pasta, a sauce, and a topping (artichoke hearts) and it turned out to be one of the best meals she had there!

I don’t know if we just got lucky with our server, but I can’t see us ever picking HV over MM again. We really like Italian food, though, so your mileage may vary.