Man, it was cold but, eh, we're from Wisconsin!

So, now that I’m recovering from a nasty cold/cough and have more ambition to do something other than sleep, let’s start a TR on our Dec. 4-11 trip to Disney World and our first stay at a deluxe resort, AKL. Fasten your seat belts and enjoy the ride!

Day 1
Our flight was to leave Milwaukee at 2:15 but lo and behold, Mother Nature decided to mess with our plans (and our sanity) and grace us with winter. We had to get our bestest golden retrievers to my brother’s house, which is about 45 minutes northwest of us, then get to airport, which is about 75-80 minutes east of us. The drive to dear brother’s house was a nightmare and took well over an hour. Cars in ditches all over the place including one that went out of control about twenty five feet behind us and slammed the median guard. It was ugly. After lots of prayers and giving ourselves a little extra time, we headed to Milwaukee, only to have our flight delayed by 2 ½ hours because of, you guessed it, the snow. The plane that was to take us to Orlando couldn’t land because of visibility and circled the airport long enough to run low on fuel, get sent to Grand Rapids, Michigan to refuel, and come back to get us poor souls dying to get to Disney World! Sadly, if the plane had left on time, we would have arrived in Orlando about the same time that we actually departed Milwaukee. Ouch.

Thankfully, an uneventful flight, once we boarded the darn plane, arrived safely and there was Louis, our Quicksilver driver, holding that wonderful sign with our name on it. Ah, welcome home. Made a quick Publix stop and arrived at AKL with smiles on our faces. I told DS I couldn’t wait to be welcomed home and he looked at me like I was from another planet (which is a common look from a 14-yr-old boy). “Yeah, right, mom. You’re dreaming again.” Imagine the look on his face when the gate keeper said “Welcome home” when he raised the gate for the car to enter. And then, the door person said the same thing! The look on DS’s face was priceless. “Welcome home” became our quip of the week.

So, DH is talking with the bell person who recommends a second floor room to get the best view of animals. We were given a 4th floor room that was pretty far back and on one of those little wing-things off the main hallway. We asked if there was a 2nd floor room and after about fifteen minutes of doing whatever the CM was doing, she found us a room on the 2nd floor . . . starting on Sunday. Heck, we’re tired, it’s late, and it sounded like an easy enough change in the morning. So we agreed to it. And went to bed happy. Welcome home!

And here’s what was on our bed and is now resting comfortably right here next to my computer.

Day 2

Yeah, you know that easy change to a new room? :pinch:

We had ADRs at Boma on Sunday morning so we headed down and had a phenomenal breakfast! The juice is to die for. :wub: And the food was very good. And it was raining outside. Eh, whatever. We checked at the desk to confirm the room change and it was a go so we sent our luggage to the storage room and headed to Animal Kingdom. And it stopped raining. That was the first and last rain we saw all week. Oh, as a side note, I can’t tell you how many CMs wanted to prepare us for the upcoming cold weather. And every time they would ask where we’re from and when we said Wisconsin we heard, “Oh, then this isn’t cold for you.” :laugh::huh:

Oh those eyes. She looks like a flirt. So glad you’ve started your tr. Been looking forward to it. I wish I would have known how bad it was in your neck of the woods on Saturday. I would have called you to bring the girls here. Though they don’t know us, they would have had a good time. so…on with the tr.:wub:

And a few of our first photos of the view from our first room.

Second photo 'cuz it didn’t upload in the previous post. Um, the photo uploads are slow. :mellow:

Yeah! And we could have hung out with you while we waited for the stupid plane to return from across the lake. :pinch::happy: Who’d have known the day would turn out the way it did. Welcome to Wisconsin.

Okay, so off to AK. We headed to the safari and got right on. Now, people, that’s why we chose to go early in December. We’ve always been there Christmas week or Easter week when 98,456,932 other people were also there. This was a nice change for us. The safari was good but the one we did later in the week was better. We walked the Pangani Forest and just took our time walking through the park and enjoying the sights, sounds, and smells. Took a wild trip on Everest (I still get a major head rush on the backwards part that scares the bejeebies out of me), took in It’s Tough to Be a Bug (I love listening to the first-timers!) and decided to head back to see if we had a room yet, which was around lunch time. The room wasn’t ready yet and we were told it would be another hour maybe. So we explored the resort, hung by the pool for a while and kept our eye on the Packer-49ers score, and the boys played in the arcade for a while. At 3:00 we asked about our room. Um, still not ready :glare: but now it was becoming clear that something wasn’t right because the CM would be away for several minutes, come back and be on the computer for several minutes, then be on the phone for several minutes, and the whole thing just didn’t have a good feel to it. We were given a 2nd floor room number the night before but it seems that one was no longer available. :pinch: That was the bad news. The good news was, she apologized and said she was crediting our room account with $150 to spend as we wished! :wub: And she said a room would be ready by 4:00 and they would call my cell phone number to let us know. We continued to just hang around because our luggage was in the luggage storage and it seemed like a pain to try and find stuff. At almost 4:30 we approached her again and she was quite surprised that no one called us. We, in fact, had a room ready on the 2nd floor . . . 2237. Yea!!! A room worth the wait, by the way. :happy:

We were on the second floor in August and the room view was GREAT!!! Can not wait to read more!!

[QUOTE=smee57;1058937]Day 2

Yeah, you know that easy change to a new room? :pinch:

We had ADRs at Boma on Sunday morning so we headed down and had a phenomenal breakfast! The juice is to die for. :wub: And the food was very good. And it was raining outside. Eh, whatever. We checked at the desk to confirm the room change and it was a go so we sent our luggage to the storage room and headed to Animal Kingdom. And it stopped raining. That was the first and last rain we saw all week. Oh, as a side note, I can’t tell you how many CMs wanted to prepare us for the upcoming cold weather. And every time they would ask where we’re from and when we said Wisconsin we heard, “Oh, then this isn’t cold for you.” :laugh::huh:[/QUOTE]

We were there the same week (just came home a day earlier than you), and got the same reaction a lot. “Oh, you’re from CT, so you must be used to the cold.” Well, not exactly-if I was in CT, I wouldn’t be walking around a theme park for 12 hours! haha-glad you enjoyed your time!

more, more. I can’t wait to see what you could see from your balcony :smile:

Wonderful start! Ready and waiting to read more! :happy:

Okay, where was I?

How about a few pictures from the balcony of our 2nd floor room? :wub:

And another . . .

And one more . . .

So, let’s see, great breakfast at Boma, morning at AK, we FINALLY have a room, it was time to head to Disney Studios. Now, another standing joke throughout the week became, whatever park we’re going to, that will be the last bus to arrive. I’m not kidding. It happened just about every time! :blink: I am not impressed with the AKL transportation at all because Kidani was always picked up first so by the time the bus got to Jambo, there were times it was already nearly full. Not always, but often. And it was always the first drop-off when we returned to the resort so the shuffle of passengers was often chaotic. My opinion, which I know doesn’t count, is that Kidani and Jambo need their own bus! Maybe when it’s really busy over the holidays they do, but they should all of the time.

Okay, the Toy Story Mania wait line was too long for us for that time of the night, I think 60 minutes, so our first ride . . . Tower of Terror! Ten minute wait time, oh yeah. Next ride, Rockin’ Rollercoaster. Twenty minute wait, not bad. And a first for me . . . I actually kept my eyes open during the 0-60 entry. I’ve never been able to do that (and the photo always showed it :blush:)! I did it this time and I survived. Let’s see, with stomachs still in the right place, we shared a turkey leg and headed to the Osborne Lights, not to be disappointed by the show. It was awesome and we never tire of seeing them! We did ToT one more time, walked around, and headed home.

A few shots from the morning at AK.

And another.

And this one.

And the baby elephant! :wub: