March trip

Hello!! I am making some dining reservations for our March trip. This is the first time we are NOT doing the dining plan…with my 11 and 12 year olds as adults it just does not make sense. To help with the cost I am trying to plan sit downs as lunches. Is there a big difference in the buffet at Crystal Palace at lunch compared to at dinner? Thanks!!

Most of the lunch menus are identical to the dinner - maybe some variation, but nothing that would make you feel robbed. Crystal palace notoriously changes up their menu on you, or at least that has been my experience with that venue. I honestly would do breakfasts. 'Ohana and Cape May are the most economical character experience with the best character interaction around in my opinion.

Lunches and dinners are roughly the same, with additional items added at dinner time.

we do crystal palace as lunch most of our trips. We like it a lot.

We did not do the dining plan this last time, with kids about that same age. It did not make sense for us either, and it worked with no problems. I still planned a table service meal a day, and we still ate the same. Now some of the restaurants had raised their prices considerably… and we freaked a little at that. But it was still delicious.

We are doing the same thing this year, skipping the DDP and paying OOP, trying to get more lunches than dinners. Three in our party have smaller appetites and I just hated throwing away food when we each got our own meal.

Crystal Palace is on our list for lunch, too.

We too are in the same situation (DS13 and DD11). My kids will sometimes eat a full adult portion at a restaurant but most of the time we end up with a take home box.

I’m curious if anyone actually tracked the cost of their meals and then compared it to the cost of the dining plan. Did you end up paying more OOP or would the DDP actually have been the more economical choice?

[QUOTE=MickeyEars;1138609]We too are in the same situation (DS13 and DD11). My kids will sometimes eat a full adult portion at a restaurant but most of the time we end up with a take home box.

I’m curious if anyone actually tracked the cost of their meals and then compared it to the cost of the dining plan. Did you end up paying more OOP or would the DDP actually have been the more economical choice?[/QUOTE]

I haven’t compared in a few years---- and I don’t have children paying adult prices…but a few years ago, I compared our eating habits with the DDP, and we spend less not doing any dining plan. That is the main reason we have never participated—the other being having to make ADRs and keep track of what you have used and what’s left.

We don’t even think about the DDP anymore— but we are only 2 adults so…not a true comparison for a family situation.