Mary Poppins Broadway Version

Who has see this show? (Spoilers ahead) I saw the touring version tonight. I enjoyed it for musical sake and it really had some great numbers. My party talked quite a bit after why they needed to change it so much. Here are some ideas we came up with. What do you think?

Maybe it is more true to the book?
Maybe they need to alter the amount of cast members required?
Just because they can?

The children in the movie were grouchy at the beginning, but very mild and happy for the most of the movie. In the musical they were very bratty nearly all the way through. Mary Poppins seemed very cocky, in the movie just confident. Entirely different story line with the bank. No laughing Uncle Albert. Many new scenes including freaky giant toys and fig leaf covered statues.

I am just a purist and think the movie was great why change it to add such odd things. But, like I said we very much enjoyed it for what is was.

I took my daughter, then 6, to see it about a year ago.

I didn’t mind that it was different than the movie. The book was a little different and not as “warm and fuzzy” as the movie. I think the musical tried to bring more of the “odd” adventures like in the book. I think they probably wanted to keep the iconic scenes from the movie, but also bring other stories in to attract a wider theater audience.

It was her first show and she sat through all three hours without a word. She is now a theater junkie. I also took her to Wicked which was beyond great. Next up we have tickets for A Christmas Carol and Shrek the Musical. Mary Poppins the Musical spurred a love of the theater in DD and she now wants to go to a theater camp to learn more about the theater costuming. For me it was a slam dunk.

[QUOTE=jk8;1051190]Who has see this show? (Spoilers ahead) I saw the touring version tonight. I enjoyed it for musical sake and it really had some great numbers. My party talked quite a bit after why they needed to change it so much. Here are some ideas we came up with. What do you think?

Maybe it is more true to the book?
Maybe they need to alter the amount of cast members required?
Just because they can?

The children in the movie were grouchy at the beginning, but very mild and happy for the most of the movie. In the musical they were very bratty nearly all the way through. Mary Poppins seemed very cocky, in the movie just confident. Entirely different story line with the bank. No laughing Uncle Albert. Many new scenes including freaky giant toys and fig leaf covered statues.

I am just a purist and think the movie was great why change it to add such odd things. But, like I said we very much enjoyed it for what is was.[/QUOTE]

I love the movie very much, and if I ever had the chance to see Mary Poppins on stage then I would, but like you, I would have hoped it was like the movie too. I am wondering if maybe some scenes from the movie are too awkward to interpret to stage? However, that doesn’t explain changing the character’s personalities. I did read the book many many moons ago:laugh: and know that there are characters in the book that never made it to screen- so perhaps it works the other way too with movie and stage production.

I read the first 1 and a half books (never finished the second) and they were adorable and wonderful but yes, the children were more childlike in the ‘naughty’ sense, but not completely monsters. Mary herself was MUCH more vain and ‘TEN HUT’ than the movie as well. Still haven’t seen the stage show, but I’m dying to.

We thought the show was wonderful! It was OK it wasn’t like the movie - there were so many great parts!! My DD was 3 at the time and she STILL talks about it. Did MP fly in the traveling show? On Broadway in NYC, she flew right off the stage and up over our heads - it was AWESOME!! :heart:

we saw the broadway version in june,even though different from movie it was spectacular,the production was fantastic,the stage production was superb ,all and all a great,great show …would pay to see again…

She flew but only off the sides of the stage. It was still fun.

I agree the show was really good - just wondered about the changes.

[QUOTE=jk8;1051276]She flew but only off the sides of the stage. It was still fun.

I agree the show was really good - just wondered about the changes.[/QUOTE]

It was the movie that was altered I believe the stage show was more like the books.

by the way I did not see the touring show…we saw the actual broadway show …just great …

I see you are there have a great time…we have 15 days to go…say hi to mickey for me…and to debbie she is the baggage handler with the red hair you cannot miss her

jk8 - DW and I went to the same show on Sunday. We sat in the 3rd row so I don’t know how obvious this was to everyone in the theater. Did you notice that the female dancing statues were a little too realistic? DW and I had a discussion about it later. She thought the “details” were painted on. I said “No way. Disney would never allow that.” I also commented that if they were painted on, all three female statues would have had this “enhancement”. In either case, whether they were painted on or the costumes were a little too see through, I was very surprised to see this.

Other than that, the play was very nice. A little different from the movie but we enjoyed it. I thought the children actors performing during our show were very good.

I LOVE the stage version. And as for the changes, theater is a lot different than film, for one, and they kind of had to make some changes-most people probably wouldn’t go for seeing the exact same thing as the movie. (Unlike us.) Though I do agree, Temper is not my favorite song ever. Or even close to my favorite.

[QUOTE=Captgoodguy;1051313]jk8 - DW and I went to the same show on Sunday. We sat in the 3rd row so I don’t know how obvious this was to everyone in the theater. Did you notice that the female dancing statues were a little too realistic? DW and I had a discussion about it later. She thought the “details” were painted on. I said “No way. Disney would never allow that.” I also commented that if they were painted on, all three female statues would have had this “enhancement”. In either case, whether they were painted on or the costumes were a little too see through, I was very surprised to see this.

Other than that, the play was very nice. A little different from the movie but we enjoyed it. I thought the children actors performing during our show were very good.[/QUOTE]

We were in the balcony so I could not see details, but I did notice the leaves on the men looked like anatomy from that far back. :laugh: It was weird for sure. I bet the 3rd row was nice. Except for the very back of the lower level it is hard have a bad seat a the Murat.