MCO- Kids/family security line- trial version

Hi!
I was laying in bed last night and remembered I wanted to post this! LOL!

When departing, TSA asked how old the kids were and we were ushered into a “family” security line. They had signs explaining everywhere that it was a trial.

It was slower than the other line so you didn’t feel rushed. The TSA were very nice and took it slow too. They were talking with the kids about the vacation and one loved my Mickey Shirt ect. It was not slow like packed- slow like there was no one rushing you to get through or looking at you like you were a pain in the buns.

I still had to go through the new scanner [B]but the kids didn’t[/B]. They went through the metal one and my [B]DN didn’t have to take off his shoes[/B]. Apparently 11 and under didn’t have to.

In addition, we did get stopped for the bag of toys and suckers ect… usually when we leave Orlando, our bags get searched - weird souvenirs may be the culprit because it never happens anywhere else! But as soon as I said what was in there, they were ok with it. Every other time I have had to unpack the whole strategically packed bag. Don’t know if this is a result of the new trial or coincidence though.

Nice perk for families. I could see I would really love it if I had little ones! Mine were used to the drill of the line but it was still nice!

I think that’s great. The lines at MCO are so long. A couple of years ago a TSA agent pulled us out of a very long line and took us over to a closed section for us to get through faster. The kids were about 3 & 6 at the time and behaving well, but I guess she felt sympathy for us since the wait was going to be so long. A couple of men tried following us to the closed line. She asked if they were with us and they said no so she made them go back to the other line. Anything to make things more efficient with kids is a good thing.

Oh… not having to remove the shoes of my VERY DANGEROUS THREE YEAR OLD would help a lot.

I’ve finally gotten the only possible attitude that I can in security lines: It is going to take me a long time, and there is nothing I can do about that, so whoever you are, either in line behind me or working, if you give me attitude I DON’T CARE. (I actively warn people against getting in line behind me.) YES, I have a lot of things, and two children. No, I am NOT going to just send the iPad and the laptop through way ahead of me so it can sit at the end of the ramp for anyone to pick up while I’m still trying to deal with collapsing the stroller. Yes, as a matter of fact, I AM still trying to get my things on the conveyor belt. If you don’t like it, YOU pay for me to check this extra suitcase.

Oh, the drama from the guy behind me this summer when my stroller wouldn’t fit through the x-ray. (This stroller has gone through X-ray in three or four other airports… as well as they airport where it got stuck this time. I simply cannot take the blame for it not fitting.)

So there. :biggrin: I love when I can get in a family line. Sometimes there are unofficial ones in the various cities I’ve been in.

What a very good idea! I had a mom in front of me coming home from Hawaii - she had three kids - two small - and the poor woman almost had a breakdown trying to deal with everything. I wanted to help her - but in those situations you don’t know if you should. Will you get in trouble? Will you be looked at suspiciously? Will you be told to mind your own business? A family line is a very good solution. I hope more airports adopt it.

Do NOT touch the Royal shoes!

For an airport that caters to so many family vacationers, I find MCO security to be one of the most difficult to navigate. I hate the way the lines all merge at a certain point causing a giant bottleneck of people smashing together. I don’t have any small kids, but I always think that families must get separated from each other all the time in this bizarro setup.

Good to hear that they are trying a more family friendly option!

When my sister and nephew come they always pull us to another line. Maybe they were just being nice? Thanks for the info maybe now it will continue to happen.

There were 2 other families in the family line opposed to the 500 or so in the regular line!!!

Believe it or not, they had a ‘family’ line in Philadelphia for Southwest Airlines. We were SHOCKED when they told the 7 of us we could move over to the family line. It certainly made things much more comfortable for our granddaughter and less of a hassle. IF Philly does it, everyone will for sure.

We are a nicer TSA !!!

Since joining them a month ago you would be suprised at what you see …
And the shoes … Andrea I know you are being witty about your situation, But Certain foreign groups using children to pass their items of destruction thru … I can tell you first hand the things we have been taught and videos we had to witness would make you understand … It’s bad when your training technics are actual things found and almost all of them are child toys or child items …
NOT PREACHING HERE at ALL … Just relaying a true story !!!

Again, why can’t people just be nice?

Thanks, Wall for helping to keep us safe. I had no idea that you were doing that…

I just hope that you can put the criminals under the jail… way under.

I saw families doing this when we were there last week and I could tell it was so convenient for them. A mom had 3 little ones she was trying to get through and she was told she didn’t have to take their shoes off. I could tell it was like telling her she’d just won a million dollars. LOL! I think this is a great idea for families.

I meant maybe they were being nice to us. Sorry it came out wrong.

[QUOTE=WALL;1089889]We are a nicer TSA !!!

Since joining them a month ago you would be suprised at what you see …
And the shoes … Andrea I know you are being witty about your situation, But Certain foreign groups using children to pass their items of destruction thru … I can tell you first hand the things we have been taught and videos we had to witness would make you understand … It’s bad when your training technics are actual things found and almost all of them are child toys or child items …
NOT PREACHING HERE at ALL … Just relaying a true story !!![/QUOTE]

No, I understand. It’s just frustrating.

TSA at Atlanta Airport… there are only one or two agents I’ve encountered who don’t seem to have complete contempt for everyone traveling… fewer than that in Sacramento… only in Richmond, VA they seemed to realize they could do their jobs without acting like every traveler is just ruining their entire day by existing.

Now… considering what you’ve said that it’s a danger… WHY the rule change with kids’ shoes?

[QUOTE=Andrea;1090059]No, I understand. It’s just frustrating.

TSA at Atlanta Airport… there are only one or two agents I’ve encountered who don’t seem to have complete contempt for everyone traveling… fewer than that in Sacramento… only in Richmond, VA they seemed to realize they could do their jobs without acting like every traveler is just ruining their entire day by existing.

Now… considering what you’ve said that it’s a danger… WHY the rule change with kids’ shoes?[/QUOTE]

In just my short time there I can tell the good ones from the ones who don’t seem to like their job … They are trying to get the officers to reach out and at least just conversate with the travelers. I never did like the Prison Guard routine that many have … I am not like that, I understand that they want to get to there plane.
Can’t answer the Childrens shoe dilema …