ME baggage question

Now that southwest has gotten on board with ME, I need details on how to handle the bags coming home. You bring your bags to some counter at some time between some hours. That much I got. So once you do that, you have your boarding pass?? At the airport, you go right to security? No lines downstairs to worry about?

We check our bags for home (Virgin Atlantic) at Downtown Disney behind the old Virgin Megastore. They issue the boarding pass right there and then and so we go straight through to security so maybe that will be the same for you on SW and ME? (we are flying SW to Vegas are they alright?)

We and quite a number of MBers love SW.

Yep, that’s pretty much how it works. We always fly SWA so this was our first time checking our luggage at our resort. We went down about 7:30 expecting a bit of a line but there was no one else there but us and 3 staff members. They printed our boarding passes (we paid for the Early Bird check in through SWA), tagged our luggage and we were done. It took less than 5 minutes. Once at the airport we went straight to the security line.

You should get boarding passes at the resort airline check-in when you drop your bags. Go directly to security screening.

Thank you. Anything to make it easier at the airport.

The plane part is the worst part for my DH. He is so freaky that we will miss the plane.

Going down we have a 10:45 flight, but I’m sure we will be at the airport by 6 ish. (which is why I got netflix, I can’t read at airports, too much noise. If I’m sitting for 4 hrs, I’m watching movies) I said why don’t we take the earlier flight then. When then he would worry we wouldn’t make it and getting up at 5 is fine, getting up at 4 is pushing it.

Coming home, we have a 2:00 ish flight so we would get ME about 11, right??? My DH will be out there by 10:30 seeing if we could get on a early bus. But if we don’t have to worry about any lines at the airport, maybe we can take that 11 oclock bus.

[QUOTE=jo-jo;1043161]Thank you. Anything to make it easier at the airport.

The plane part is the worst part for my DH. He is so freaky that we will miss the plane.

Going down we have a 10:45 flight, but I’m sure we will be at the airport by 6 ish. (which is why I got netflix, I can’t read at airports, too much noise. If I’m sitting for 4 hrs, I’m watching movies) I said why don’t we take the earlier flight then. When then he would worry we wouldn’t make it and getting up at 5 is fine, getting up at 4 is pushing it.

Coming home, we have a 2:00 ish flight so we would get ME about 11, right??? My DH will be out there by 10:30 seeing if we could get on a early bus. But if we don’t have to worry about any lines at the airport, maybe we can take that 11 oclock bus.[/QUOTE]

Yes, your pick up time will be about 11 am for a 2 pm flight. It’s close to 3 hours before your flight.

I’m always worried about missing our plane so we get to the airport at home 3 hours before our flight. I’m a worrier so my DH plays along.

Coming home a couple of years ago we made it to our gate with minutes to spare. I’m not kidding, we sat down and they called our flight to board. We had maybe 3 stops after we were picked up and the airport/SWA ticket counter (bag check) was a mess. Then on top of that something was wrong with the luggage system and all the bags were just left in the ticketing area. After that we always changed our ME pick up time to allow 30 extra minutes but we’ve never needed it. This year we stuck to our assigned ME time and had more than enough time once we got to the airport.

[QUOTE=DisneyTeacher;1043166]Yes, your pick up time will be about 11 am for a 2 pm flight. It’s close to 3 hours before your flight.

I’m always worried about missing our plane so we get to the airport at home 3 hours before our flight. I’m a worrier so my DH plays along.

Coming home a couple of years ago we made it to our gate with minutes to spare. I’m not kidding, we sat down and they called our flight to board. We had maybe 3 stops after we were picked up and the airport/SWA ticket counter (bag check) was a mess. Then on top of that something was wrong with the luggage system and all the bags were just left in the ticketing area. After that we always changed our ME pick up time to allow 30 extra minutes but we’ve never needed it. This year we stuck to our assigned ME time and had more than enough time once we got to the airport.[/QUOTE]

My DH and you would make a great traveling team. Is this where one would say, “great minds think alike”?:laugh:

DH would fret at every stop on the way back. So the fact that we can skip any of that mess feels so good. Once we had a zillion people in line, and though we still had time, doing the “move the luggage 8 inches, pause, move 8 inches, pause” dance was tiring.

You two make me laugh. Quick tanget…

I am usually a very organized well put together type of person, with three kids you have to be, however… the airport transforms me into a crazy, spastic, unorganized nutjob! I too, get worried about missing our flight, but not as much as I hate going through security. With three kids, I feel such pressure holding up other passengers. We have taken our own stroller all of our past five trips and breaking down a double jogger (wheels all need to come off) through security, taking off shoes of infants and toddlers (even though I make teh older ones wear flip flops and sandles for the little one) and then carting carryons, it is just plain rough. Put the kids down for a minute they act like they have been couped up for three years in their stroller rather than since we entered the airport 10 minutes ago. Then you have to put the stroller back together, wheels and all and then wait in the designated waiting area until they board, and then we have to break that stupid stroller apart again! Ugghhh! I get nuts! DH gets so angry with me, and then I wonder, why is he angry:confused:, he only encounters crazy Shannon on airplane days, the rest of the year, I am a peach:laugh:

Ok, back to SWA check in. We have not used it yet for SWA check in but we always use it when we fly Delta or Jetblue and it is terrific. They take all of your baggage, and you see it again when you get off the plane at your destination. Terrific! They print you your boarding passes, so it is just on to security :ohmy: and then board! Terrific service you will love it!

[QUOTE=jo-jo;1043186]My DH and you would make a great traveling team. Is this where one would say, “great minds think alike”?:laugh:

DH would fret at every stop on the way back. So the fact that we can skip any of that mess feels so good. Once we had a zillion people in line, and though we still had time, doing the “move the luggage 8 inches, pause, move 8 inches, pause” dance was tiring.[/QUOTE]

:laugh: I’m a worrier, I can worry about just about anything. I wish I wasn’t this way but I am.

Getting back to the boarding pass for Southwest. I like to try to get an “A” boarding pass, so can I still print mine up 24 hours prior, and then check my luggage the next day? Or, do they require to do it all at once.

Correct, you do not have to wait to check in for your flight. We paid for the Early Bird check in and just waited until we checked our luggage to print the boarding passes.

On that note do I have to pay for the early check in. Or can I still check in 24hrs prior and reprint my pass

You can still check in at the 24 hour mark. We decided to try the EBC to see how it worked for us. I don’t know that we would do it every time but it did get us on the plane in the A 1-30 group with little stress.

Last trip as we were standing in line with A 20 something, a guy in front of us told us he had used the early checkin on his trip down. That trip he had like 1-16, this trip he had A -20, so it didn’t make much difference to him.

However, If you are going to sit and stare at your watching for the 24 hr mark, it could be worth the convenience. One of our first trips on SW, I waited in the lobby at BC trying to time waiting in line at just the right moment to get the 24 hr mark. So I got to in line, get up to the counter and was told, “sorry, our computers are down right now” grrrrrrrrrrr. Now I get my DD back at home to do the clicking. (although, that has dangers too…one trip she was waiting to click, click and her DD says “I have to go potty” LOL)

How old are your kids, Jo-Jo? If any of them are 4 or under you will get to board with family boarding, between groups A & B, even if your boarding pass is a B or C. Our youngest is 4 so this will be the last time we get to do family boarding.

My “kids” are 28 and 31 yrs old. LOL My avatar is of my DGD and that’s an old picture. She was 2 1/2 there, she is now 5. But thanks for the info. Maybe someone else was needed it. :happy:

My Mom always says that Grankids are your reward for raising children. Your DGD is just beautiful and I am sure she is just the light of your life.

We LOVE SW!!! If at all possible, we always fly SW & the Early Bird check in is wonderful~ so easy!

Same here, we only fly SWA because of their great service and on time flights.