Me? Stressed? DT's 2010 TR

Cast:

Me, the planner. I love to have a plan but I don’t care if we stick to it.
My DH, Mike, who just wants to be told where to be and when to be there.
My DS, Nathan (12), loves Disney as much as I do.

I wasn’t stressed about this trip at all. It’s our tenth trip in seven or eight years so we know what we want and need to pack. I wasn’t going to over pack, 12 outfits for everyone (or as many I could pull together), two pairs of good tennis shoes, pool flip flops for everyone, and a couple of flip flops for me. Throw in a box of Pop Tarts and two pool noodles and we’re set. Okay, it’s not that simple but close. We had a carry on with the important things and a change of clothes and three checked bags that weren’t stuffed full.

We booked a flight leaving early Thursday morning. Our plan was to pack Tuesday so we were just wrapping things up Wednesday morning and cleaning up the house before heading out for the Marriott at the airport Wednesday afternoon. Plenty of time, no stress—right? Wrong!

Tuesday Day -1 (Background information)

We woke up Tuesday morning to a rainy morning. I didn’t think a lot about it while I was sitting around watching the Today show. The local station kept taking about all the rain and flash flooding in the area but I wasn’t too worried, it wasn’t raining like that an hour away where we live. HA—an hour later we had almost 2 feet of water in our backyard and close to that in our basement. We were running around like crazy trying to pump the water out of the basement and save what we could. When my DH ran out to the pool to turn off the filter the water was up to his knees.

Our backyard was trashed, my flowers were ruined, and the pool was, well, flooded. I called the heating and cooling people to be one of the first on the list to come replace the circuit board in the furnace so the house sitter would have air conditioning while we were gone. (Turned out all was well and we just needed water pumped out of the blower—a little good news.) The water heater also survived so all was well with the house once we got all the water out.

There wasn’t anything we could do about the basement, the backyard had drained out, and the pool—well, it would have to wait until we got home. Nate had an orthodontist appointment Tuesday afternoon that we really didn’t want to miss, it’s an hour each way and the appointment lasted over an hour, longer than I expected. My parents have been gone all summer so we ran by to check on their house and make sure their basement wasn’t flooded (it wasn’t). It was after 5 when we finally got home and we still hadn’t packed! So much for not being stressed. We went to dinner and I started to pack after that. Knowing what we did and didn’t need helped it go quickly.

:eek::eek::eek::eek: That’s exactly what I did. My oh my oh my, what a nightmare…

Can’t show this to DH, that’s his fear, something will happen to the house while we are gone.

Wednesday Day 0

My DH (Mike) had two summer classes he had to wrap up Wednesday so I had all morning to finish packing and get the house picked up. I also had to drop the dog off at the vet. Our house sitter couldn’t start until Friday so we had to board Dyno for a couple of days. Nate didn’t want to see Dyno’s sad face when we left him at the vet so I was the bad guy who dropped him off.

Meet Dyno

Oh my. That’s quite the start to your TR!! I’m sorry you had to deal with all of that. I hope the trip itself was great!! Can’t wait to hear more! Plus pics, of course. Not of your backyard or basement, though. Just WDW! :happy:

Wow what a start can’t wait to here the rest of the story

[QUOTE=DisneyTeacher;1042658]Wednesday Day 0

My DH (Mike) had two summer classes he had to wrap up Wednesday so I had all morning to finish packing and get the house picked up. I also had to drop the dog off at the vet. Our house sitter couldn’t start until Friday so we had to board Dyno for a couple of days. Nate didn’t want to see Dyno’s sad face when we left him at the vet so I was the bad guy who dropped him off.

Meet Dyno[/QUOTE]

He’s adorable!!!:wub:

Mike was home a little earlier than expected. We tossed the luggage in the car and left for our airport hotel about two hours away. We were shocked by all the flooding in our area, there was so much standing water. In fact, one of the highways we usually use was closed due to high water. We checked in to the Marriott and decided to go to the mall (I had to exchange a pair of capris at Eddie Bauer) and grab some dinner.

On our way to the mall it started to storm, REALLY storm. I couldn’t believe how hard it was raining. Between rush hour traffic and the heavy, can’t see the car in front of you rain I was a wreck by the time we got to the mall. Between the stress of packing, our flooded basement and yard, driving through rush hour traffic in POURING rain, and my fear of flying I was a fried. I’m not kidding, I don’t know if I could have told you my name at that point. We finally just stopped walking and sat so I could regroup. I swore I wasn’t going to be stressed about this trip or flying and I think I was a bigger mess than ever.

When we got back to our hotel we discovered just how much rain we had really gotten. Not five miles from where we were cars were under water due to flash flooding! By this point I was totally stressed. I was sure our house and yard were going to flood again and our house sitter was going to have a mess to deal with.

Nate was pumped up and unable to go to sleep, he was lying in bed acting totally off the wall. We all finally drifted off one by one and the next thing I knew the alarms were going off and it was time to get moving.

[QUOTE=jo-jo;1042657]:eek::eek::eek::eek: That’s exactly what I did. My oh my oh my, what a nightmare…

Can’t show this to DH, that’s his fear, something will happen to the house while we are gone.[/QUOTE]

Don’t show him! I’m a worrier by nature and this caused me a lot of stress, more than I thought it would.

Thanks. He’s the best dog ever, such a sweetie.

At least we got the worst over before we left, it was down hill from there.

The trip was great but I worried about flooding and the house the whole time we were gone.

Oh my goodness what a start to your vacation! The last 2 WDW trips we have taken, something has gone wrong with my washing machine, and I thought that was bad. Bless your heart! I can’t imagine leaving home for a vacation with those kinds of weather conditions. I would have been a basket case.

Well, DT you certainly provided the “hook” to the story. Now reel us in with the details. Every last one!

Wow! No wonder you posted the “guess where I am thread” and NO wonder you were so glad to be there (whew!) what a way to start off your trip.

ohmygosh, what a stressful start indeed! :blink: It seems like there wasn’t too much damage - I’m very glad to hear that! I hope the rest of your trip made up for the rough start. Can’t wait to keep reading!

wow!!
that was intense!:eek:

i was so excited to see your TR thread going…i never imagined when i opened it that it would be such a thriller from the get-go!

i will definitely be back later tonight to see what happens next!

YIKES! What a start. Hope the house was fine when you got home.
Can’t wait to hear more about your trip - and don’t forget - lots of pictures!!!

Holy moly. :eek:

So sorry you had that to deal with and had to worry your whole trip. I’m a worrier, too, and I’m sure I would’ve been a basket case. Can’t wait to read the rest of your TR. On to happier stuff!

Unrelated: is Dyno Maltese? My mom has two so I was just wondering. Very cute little guy!

[QUOTE=Tinker Mel;1042692]Holy moly. :eek:

So sorry you had that to deal with and had to worry your whole trip. I’m a worrier, too, and I’m sure I would’ve been a basket case. Can’t wait to read the rest of your TR. On to happier stuff!

Unrelated: is Dyno Maltese? My mom has two so I was just wondering. Very cute little guy![/QUOTE]

Thanks. Dyno is a Maltese/Poodle mix. We got so lucky and found him at a local Humane Society last spring. He’s now two and just such a good dog. He is MY dog, he has to be with me at all times. He can jump like no other dog, he’s amazing when he gets fired up and flies around the house.