Meal planning for dieting vacationers

I am getting ready to go to Disneyland in less than two weeks but I am also trying to get my weight loss goals back on track. I plan on looking up all the menus on AllEars for all the Disneyland restaurants we plan to eat at. I want to have a plan so that I don’t get there & ruin my weight loss efforts.

Any advice? What should I plan to do at places like Goofy’s kitchen, which my Dad requested because he loved it last time. But it’s a dreaded buffet & i’m a little nervous.

Any strategies or advice? Thanks!

Shoo… I have no idea, but that would be something great to research. My sister has these books - “What Not to Eat” and “What Not to Eat Kids” that she’s always whipping out. They need a “What Not to Eat at Disneyland.” :laugh:

Someone should research how many calories are in all the foods at WDW. I bet a lot of people would buy that book… (then again, the author would need Disney’s permission, of course)

I really don’t have much advice… but good luck! (Maybe you can write the book! :laugh:)

Are you going to Goofy’s for breakfast? If so they probably have a lot of fruit and stuff. Also things like waffles and pancakes are good as long as you don’t drown them in syrup like I do.

Even on vacation I try to eat smart. Don’t get me wrong, I indulge plenty, but I can’t eat like that for days…it just makes me feel awful. At buffets, I try to stick to the meats (breakfast usually/ can’t have the dinners)…stay away from gravy and heavy side dishes. A baked potato, if available, is your best bet. Eat a salad BEFORE your meal…you will eat less. Portion control is your best bet. Try a spoonful of the “bad” stuff and load your plate with veggies and healthy foods…if you allow yourself the spoonful you won’t feel so cheated.

I think the best part of eating on vacation to places like WDW or DL is that you are counteracting it with so much activity. It’s hard to feel bad about all that good food when you’re walking around so much.

Log all that walking into sparkpeople and see how many calories you’re burning!

I’m betting you’ll come back even and not gain an ounce, Wishy.

Don’t let a new goal ruin a perfectly good time. This diet and plan will be here waiting for you.

Now, with that being said, I personally would plan out as much as possible (which it sounds like you’re doing) - snacks are easy, breakfast is easy and lunch is probably even going to be ok. Dinner could be tricky but I bet you could indulge a little at dinner and be ok with a lot of good activity every single day.

I think I would personally stick to only indulging ONCE a day - so if I had a Mickey bar I would not have dessert or if I had a dole whip I would not eat a sticky bun for breakfast. KnowwhatImean?

That sounds like solid advice Dana. I am trying to count calories on my plan right now but maybe while in Disneyland I should adopt a ‘low carb-sugar-starches’ appraoch with LOTS of vegis from the buffets. Just avoid all the breads, pasta, potatoes, rice, etc. Stick to salad, meat, vegis. Lights fruits for desserts.

The good news is that for some reason it’s a lot easier to eat healthy in Disneyland than at WDW. There are fruit carts everywhere, the counter service locations offer fresh vegi options, and the buffets are always full of fresh foods.

This is going to be TOUGH TOUGH TOUGH

An egg and toast and two slices of bacon is a great, filling breakfast and is awesome in a calorie range for an active morning.

Lunch could totally be a yummy salad and sandwich somewhere…

Snacks could be anything - Disney possibilities are endless! I think you’ll be ok!

[QUOTE=WishUponAStar;922779]That sounds like solid advice Dana. I am trying to count calories on my plan right now but maybe while in Disneyland I should adopt a ‘low carb-sugar-starches’ appraoch with LOTS of vegis from the buffets. Just avoid all the breads, pasta, potatoes, rice, etc. Stick to salad, meat, vegis. Lights fruits for desserts.

The good news is that for some reason it’s a lot easier to eat healthy in Disneyland than at WDW. There are fruit carts everywhere, the counter service locations offer fresh vegi options, and the buffets are always full of fresh foods.

This is going to be TOUGH TOUGH TOUGH[/QUOTE]

But you’ll be walking off all those carbs all the time! Why lose them at WDW?

[QUOTE=Erin;922778]I think the best part of eating on vacation to places like WDW or DL is that you are counteracting it with so much activity. It’s hard to feel bad about all that good food when you’re walking around so much.

Log all that walking into sparkpeople and see how many calories you’re burning!

I’m betting you’ll come back even and not gain an ounce, Wishy.

Don’t let a new goal ruin a perfectly good time. This diet and plan will be here waiting for you.

Now, with that being said, I personally would plan out as much as possible (which it sounds like you’re doing) - snacks are easy, breakfast is easy and lunch is probably even going to be ok. Dinner could be tricky but I bet you could indulge a little at dinner and be ok with a lot of good activity every single day.

I think I would personally stick to only indulging ONCE a day - so if I had a Mickey bar I would not have dessert or if I had a dole whip I would not eat a sticky bun for breakfast. KnowwhatImean?[/QUOTE]

Thanks Erin, I Knowwhat’chamean. :wink: Breakfast is NEVER a problem for me. I am going to go down to our hotel’s little market on our first day & get some low fat yogurt & a couple bananas to put in the room’s fridge. I’ve done this every Disneyland trip so I am familiar with what products they carry.

If i feel like a snack during the day in the parks I NEVER have a problem getting one of those huge pineapple spears or big pickles from the fruit cart. My Dad loves that stuff too so that’s not a problem.

My plan for counter service lunch is going to be the following. I’ve looked at all the menus on Allears & tried to choose the healthiest options. I’ve given myself two choices just in case:

Day 1 (DCA):

Farmer’s Market:

California Wrap - Marinated Grilled Chicken, Mandarin oranges, apricots, sliced red flame grapes, cilantro, baby spinach, lightly tossed in a dressing of non-fat yogurt laced with amber honey, wrapped in a spinach tortilla. Served with choice of apple slices or fries. $7.99

OR

Pacific Wharf Cafe:

Sonoma Chicken & Apple Salad - Tender pieces of chicken breast with tart, crisp apples, celery, and walnuts in a creamy honey dressing with a dash of lemon, served atop a bed of garden fresh lettuce. $8.99

Day 2, Disneyland:

River Belle Terrace:

Turkey Breast sandwich served with Baked Beans and a choice of one cold side dish

OR

Rancho Del Zocalo:

Chicken or Vegetable soft tacos topped with Cheese and served in Flour Tortillas. $9.99. Includes Mexican Rice and Refried Beans. Sauteed Vegetables may be substituted for Rice and Beans.

Day 3:

White Water Snacks (at our hotel):

Veggie Burger - served with seasonal fruit or French fries. $7.59 (I will not eat the bun & get the fresh fruit option)

OR maybe something in DtD

Then as far as dinners go I will stick to the lower fat meats, lots of salad, & low on starchy sides.

NO SODA AT ALL! All water!

I think it’s good to go over the menus & have a plan 'cause then I’ll have an instant ‘default’ item that I am already familiar with to turn to.

I tried to includes LOTS of protein in those choices to keep me feeling satisfied (walnuts in salads, spinach in wraps, chicken breast, beans, etc…)

OH OH OH and the other great thing is that Disneyland doesn’t have bus transportation like WDW so you walk EVERYWHERE!

I am going to be realistic and ASSUME I can’t resist carbs BUT I am just going to make them sit on less than 20% of my dinner plate; fill the rest with vegi sides, salad, & lower fat meats.

I think you pretty much have it under control wth all the great options you found on all ears. When I did WW a few years back they always said if you must do a buffet never eat anything that shines. I wonder igf it works

Hey Wishy,

Good luck with eating in Disney, it looks like you have it thought out. When we went on our Oct. trip to Disneyland, I was and still am dieting. My advice is to make sure you have healthy snacks. Like you said, there are fruit carts everywhere. I used them plenty. I think I ate 2 to 3 apples, bananas or oranges a day, if not more! I also just drank tons of water and had a diet soft drink with dinner only. When I ate dinner, I only ate half and took the other half back to the room with me. To be honest, sometimes I didn’t eat the leftovers the next day, but my weightloss was more important then the cost of throwing away food. I really didn’t do desserts, but I really don’t do a lot of desserts. I also packed some healthy bars so I could enjoy those at breakfast with my fruit or yorgurt. As everyone has said, you walk off alot of the food, so don’t forget to treat yourself! I love churos!! I didn’t gain an ounce so I know you can do it too.

Good luck and keep it up!!

Jess you sound like you have this planned and organised and I dont think it will be a problem because of your planning.
I am like Dana, I dont over do it because I suffer the rest of the day if I do- so I always find the resorts and the parks have good healthy choices if you look for them. I find the buffets the easiest as there is always a healthy alternative somewhere.
I think you’ll do just fine.

Sounds like you’ve got it under control (although your planned breakfast would leave me begging for food an hour later… yogurt makes me SO HUNGRY! :laugh:)

I just wanted to repeat: portion control! You mentioned Zocalo- and I love to eat there! But those portions are enough for 3 people.

Like quartzy said… I pretty much eat half of what I’m given any time I’m at a restaurant and that works great for me. (And when it’s for maintenance, not trying to lose, what I like best about the “half” approach is that I can order whatever I want and not be too horribly concerned.)

:laugh: Not much different than following a diabetic diet,Don’t forget carbs are o.k. too, it’s the piles of fat we add to them. You can eat a low fat turkey sandwitch with lots of veggies more than some salads. Think Subway! Lots of the hotels have the egg substitutes or egg white omelettes now.All sauces on the side, cheat once a day with a meal so that you are already full. Share ,share , share!1 Frozen yougurt is great too!

I just saw this thread so I don’t know if anyone’s mentioned it yet, but Bengal Barbecue in Adventureland is a terrific option. You can get skewers of grilled veggies or meats (love the asparagus!), very tasty and healthful. They’re also quite reasonably priced.

OH, I didn’t even look at Bengal’s menu on Allears. Thanks. I am going to do that right now!

Ah, the asparagus… wrapped in bacon. :laugh: My favorite DL meal!

Oh yum…that sounds delicious!